Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

ISDN & ISP

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2001, 12:24 AM
ChrisB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've yet to find an ISP who will provide bonded 128k access on an 0800 or 0808 "free" number. If you do let, me know!

To use bonding on BT Anytime, you have to use the 0845 number and pay for two local calls.

Never been on the Surftime option but I would be very suprised if you could get bonded dial-up on free numbers.

ChrisB.
Old 03 September 2001, 12:29 AM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Any ISP that uses the BT Surfport provision will not offer 128k as BT don't support it.

AFAIK the only ISP to offer 128k unmetered is Demon but you have to pay extra.

Standard charge is 20/month (+20/month for surftime).

If you want the 128k then its the 'super showroom' option which will be 60/month (+20/month for surftime).

So, it aint cheap and you'll need to be sure its worth it!
Old 03 September 2001, 10:59 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

hi,

i am going to getISDN installed (if it is available in my area - noting else is!) and am a little confused by the "options" available from BT as to ISP selection.

Basically i intend to use the ISDN @ 128K most of the time (off peak) but would like the option of all day access @128k.

So am i better of with a BT SurfTime ISDN jobbie or just paying the basic rental and signing up with another ISP? (although insallation is triple for this option).

I am currently subscribed to BTAnytime - but understand that this is only available free to single channel ISDN (64k) - so is no good.

I would ideally like a free (0800) connection as i intend to be using the connection a lot. What is this likely to cost and who would be a good ISP to use?

advice would be very much appreciated.

cheers.

(p.s. i did email bt last week for information but they have yet to reply)
Old 03 September 2001, 01:29 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the advice,

i'll lower my aim a bit!

if i were to want free internet access in the evenenings and weekends am i better of using the BT TalkTogether option (which gives free eneving & weekend calls to local numbers) and access the internet via a free provider such as freenet (albeit @ 64k)?

or do you have to subscribe to the surftime package, which includes surftime, but will still require me to shell out to an ISP to get the aforementioned evening and weekend access @ 64k?

chrisb,
demon 24hour 128k access would cost: Demon 19.99, Surftime 19.99, rental 27.00 that's
£66.98 a month, unmetered with no 2 hour cutoff.

Old 03 September 2001, 01:56 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

jjones

Unfortunately its more than that.

The demon products "Demon Premier Connect" and "Demon Premier Connect Plus" which use BT's surftime billing discounts are not availble on 128K.

I quote...

"BT ISDN-2 lines (including Home Highway and Business Highway) can call the new numbers. Other types of BT ISDN line cannot. The BT SurfTime subscription covers both channels of the ISDN line.

The new telephone numbers contact the existing Purple ROMP. This ROMP does not have a dual-channel-bonding facility. This may be added at some future date."

The only Demon product to offer unmetered 128K access is as kryten said "Super Showroom" £250 Setup + £60 a month. before line rental

AFAIK there is currently no surftime (BT Talks/Surf Together etc) or Friaco (e.g. BT Anytime or Freeserve Anytime) which will allow ISDN bundling at this time.

At home I have Freeserve Anytime on Home Highway. This is OK but at peak times I have resorted to some smaller Pay-as-you-go ISPs which both support 128K and don't die under peak loads.

Deano
Old 03 September 2001, 02:58 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yeah, what he said.

128k connection ain't all you might think, if the www is busy it don't matter what you got. If the site you are d/l from doesn't have a decent connection, no benefit.

I do believe that, incredible as it may seem, dual channel linking can even somtimes be counter productive because of the additional work involved in unravelling it when it arrives.

Sometimes though, it is well useful.
Old 03 September 2001, 05:27 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Look at ADSL, works out about the same cost as BT Home Highway and the BT Anytime... I think, but the cost structure seems very confusing... I'm just going to do a search now and have a look see.

Dave
Old 03 September 2001, 05:45 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by BarryK:
<B>I do believe that, incredible as it may seem, dual channel linking can even somtimes be counter productive because of the additional work involved in unravelling it when it arrives.
[/quote]

Correct. I was on an ISP trial of dual channel (on 0800 ) last year and found that for some of the highly compressible stuff, I got 115 k/sec on a single channel but only 110 k/sec with dual channels!!

For non-compressible stuff, dual was twice as quick. Very odd and something we never fully got to the bottom of!

Once you have 'free' net access, if it takes a bit longer, it hasn't cost you any more cash so don't worry about it.
Old 03 September 2001, 07:39 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by kryten:
<B>AFAIK [/quote]

Whats AFAIK ?

I know most netty words but not that one.

Thanks

David
Old 03 September 2001, 08:17 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Talking

As far as I know, as far as I know.
Old 03 September 2001, 08:36 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers Barry

Seems like I know now

David
Old 05 September 2001, 01:51 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

You need to phone up totalise.
They are cheap cheap cheap on ISDN, help you with mobile phone bill and landline....give you corporate shares for loyalty and (I THINK) let you connect bonded. They certainly let you use dual channel access anyway.

Good luck.

Anyone know how I can MAKE BT give me An ADSL termination with UTP Lan, not crappy USB?