Baffled by my ISP

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2001, 06:09 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Hi Peeps,

I have a problem with my ISP. Being in Greece and with our slightly behind telephone lines, when I'd be connected to the net and I'd put my mouse on the two little computer icons on the taskbar, it would show 33600bps. Three days ago the phone company came and upgraded our area and I was getting 50667bps.

Now, since the day of the phone line upgrade, three days ago, and with me not changing anything on my PC, the problems began. It feels like the remote computer of my ISP is not communicating with my PC coz only the bottom computer icon lights up and the other does not light up. Sometimes it eventually lights up and I can then get the page I'm looking for, downloaded. Mostly, when I've just been connected to the net and I click on a page and the computer icon (top one on taskbar) does not light up, I get disconnected automaically. Also, sometimes it takes very long to connect (very long fax noises, sort of like three stages) and when I do get connected, it only runs on 33600bps instead of 50667bps.

When I connect with 33600bps, I never get cut off and the whole thing works better

I rang my provider and they cannot see a fault with their remote computer.

I then got my neighbour to hook up to his provider (different to mine ) on my PC and my phone line, three times, with his password, to see if the same thing happened and to see if the phone line was at fault, but it worked beautifully. I then connected to my provider again and the same problems occured again.

I then went to my neighbours PC and connected to my ISP with my password using his phone line and we got the same problems, although we did not get cut off on 48000bps

What could it be? My provider says no problem with their remote. Is it my phone line? It worked OK with my neigbours ISP. Is it my modem? But again it worked OK with my neigbours ISP

Please help me diagnose my problem. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Wrexy
Old 01 November 2001, 08:28 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Question

What sort of modem have you got? Is it a V.90 one? Do you know what 56K stuff they have at the other end? X2? K56? V.90?

Could be compatibility issues between your ISPs modems and yours? Whereas your mates ISP can handle your format of 56K?

Don't know, just suggesting possibilities?
Old 01 November 2001, 11:39 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Hanslow,

Mine is a 56K, V.90. I don't know what they have. But what you say does make sense. I was on earlier tonight when I posted the thread but it only hooked me up to 36600 bps and I stayed on for 2 hours with no interruptions. Now a few hours later that I came back on, I got hooked up with 50667 bps and in a matter of seconds of connecting it threw me out twice. Even while writing this it threw me out again and I'll have to reconnect to send this through.

Thanks for your info Hanslow, what you say certainly makes sense. I'll try and find out what modem they have.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 08 November 2001, 12:02 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Hanslow,

You were right m8.

My ISP did an upgrade on there modems and problem solved. Flying now.

Cheers,

Wrexy.