Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

i was talking about BarryK m8.

post up a few.........
Old 20 August 2001, 12:01 AM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Problem comes when there's a limited amount of Police resource and what they should be doing with it..... I guess its down to their top brass to decide where it goes......

I do agree that targeting hotspots is better use of resource than empty stretches of road.
The Police in Bracknell are now doing this ....

J
Old 20 August 2001, 12:07 AM
cbr1100xx
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ScoobySnack:
<B>Problem comes when there's a limited amount of Police resource and what they should be doing with it..... I guess its down to their top brass to decide where it goes......

I do agree that targeting hotspots is better use of resource than empty stretches of road.
The Police in Bracknell are now doing this ....

J[/quote]

Indeed! It just gets to me when i see stories of old women getting mugged and peoples cars getting nicked. Then I see some copper sitting in a van reading the paper flashing people going a bit fast, but NOT dangerous. Speed does not always have 2 be dangerous.

Old 20 August 2001, 12:08 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by cbr1100xx:
<B>Doing 90 down an empty motorway is not a crime. [/quote]

No. It is a motoring offence. That is why you can't be tried at the Old Bailey for speeding. If everyone had respect for the law then they wouldn't need to be chasing car thieves either. I personally think that most speed limits are too low and taxes are too high, but that doesn't mean I can speed at will and not pay tax. The problem here is that some people belive speeding is socially acceptable as the boundaries are in grey areas. I.E. Is 71 MPH on m-way speeding? Yes. Is it an offence? Yes. Is there any likelyhood of getting pulled for it? No. Is a bank robbery an offence? Yes. Even for a pound? Yes. Will you get arrested for it yes!!! If I thought I could steal a tenner from a bank without risk of charge, then I could do it every 10 minutes and give up work. We have laws for a reason. Live with them or try to have them changed if you can't, but don't ignore them and then bitch about getting caught and punished

[This message has been edited by fast bloke (edited 20 August 2001).]
Old 20 August 2001, 12:12 AM
cbr1100xx
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by fast bloke:
<B> No. It is a motoring offence. That is why you can't be tried at the Old Bailey for speeding. If everyone had respect for the law then they wouldn't need to be chasing car thieves either. I personally think that most speed limits are too low and taxes are too high, but that doesn't mean I can speed at will and not pay tax. The problem here is that some people belive speeding is socially acceptable as the boundaries are in grey areas. I.E. Is 71 MPH on m-way speeding? Yes. Is it an offence? Yes. Is there any likelyhood of getting pulled for it? No. Is a bank robbery an offence? Yes. Even for a pound? Yes. Will you get arrested for it yes!!! If I thought I could steal a tenner from a bank without risk of charge, then I could do it every 10 minutes and give up work. We have laws for a reason. Live with them or try to have them changed if you can't, but don't ignore them and then bitch about getting caught and punished

[This message has been edited by fast bloke (edited 20 August 2001).][/quote]

I am not bitching about being caught or punished. You really dont get it. So you think it's OK for a copper 2 be sitting on his **** getting paid overtime to rip people off? My whole point is that if its a law, make it all visibly obvious. Have you been down the A2 and seen all the cameras hidden behind signs. This is NOT for safety, its for extra revenue!
Old 20 August 2001, 12:15 AM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

I don't think anyone leads a blameless life....... but you run the risk if you break the rules.

If you want to change the rules :
Old 20 August 2001, 12:17 AM
cbr1100xx
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ScoobySnack:
<B>I don't think anyone leads a blameless life....... but you run the risk if you break the rules.

If you want to change the rules :
Old 20 August 2001, 12:28 AM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Better than

J
Old 20 August 2001, 10:49 AM
cbr1100xx
Scooby Regular

Angry

Will somebody please tell me why the Police are allowed to sit in unmarked vans with cameras ripping everybody off, and get paid overtime for doing it???
In Southend these idiots are sitting in unmarked vans, down big long roads where there is NO danger to anything, just waiting for somebody to TOE IT a bit! These people are SURELY SCUM!
Why do the police hide cameras behind signs and trees then have the DAMN cheek to tell us its for our SAFETY! THE PEOPLE OF THE WORLD! WE MUST DESTROY ALL REVENUE CAMERAS!!! Fair Enough, if they stick a camera by a School good on em! But not on big wide empty roads where there is no danger to anybody! POLICE WAKE UP!!! The public has NO respect for you people anymore!
Old 20 August 2001, 11:07 AM
Shaggy Dog
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Boring subject - please go rant elsewhere
Old 20 August 2001, 11:24 AM
cbr1100xx
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Shaggy Dog:
<B>

Boring subject - please go rant elsewhere[/quote]

Your smart! Its because of people like you that it's all gone like this!
Old 20 August 2001, 11:25 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by cbr1100xx:
<B>Will somebody please tell me why the Police are allowed to sit in unmarked vans with cameras ripping everybody off, and get paid overtime for doing it???
[/quote]

Eerrrmmm. I think you will find that they can only fine/punish people who decide to break the law. Just because you don't like the law doesn't mean it is wrong. I dislike the law that stops me from stealing blackbirds. Can I go ahead and steal yours. Obviously the police shouldn't do anything about it because I dislike that law
Old 20 August 2001, 11:33 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Smile

Well I like them. And I've got all their records.
Old 20 August 2001, 11:45 AM
cbr1100xx
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by fast bloke:
<B> Eerrrmmm. I think you will find that they can only fine/punish people who decide to break the law. Just because you don't like the law doesn't mean it is wrong. I dislike the law that stops me from stealing blackbirds. Can I go ahead and steal yours. Obviously the police shouldn't do anything about it because I dislike that law[/quote]
What u have said it taking it too far. Stealing somebody''s car or bike or anything is wrong and is a crime! Doing 90 down an empty motorway is not a crime. It is people like you who are letting the Police get away with ripping the average joe off! Maybe if coppers did'nt spend all there time chasing cars and bike, they would have time to make the streets safer for everybody! If speeding is so bad, all cameras should be bright orange so they can be seen to make people slow down, not hidden. This is my arguement.

Old 20 August 2001, 11:46 AM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Talking

ROFL

u northern wag u
Old 20 August 2001, 11:50 AM
cbr1100xx
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Steve Perriam:
<B>ROFL

u northern wag u [/quote]

sorry mate. No NORTHERN monkey here
Old 20 August 2001, 11:54 AM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

oh yes there is...........

he thinks he's funny - amuses the rest of us
Old 20 August 2001, 11:58 AM
cbr1100xx
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Steve Perriam:
<B>oh yes there is...........

he thinks he's funny - amuses the rest of us [/quote]

Mate u r a funny bloke! Pleased to meet u! Just letting some of the aggression out on the police. Im OK now!
Old 20 August 2001, 01:05 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

The law's the law end of story. The police don't make the law, they enforce the law, end of story. The law is made by the Government who we all get a chance in voting for. Therefore we (including you) are all equally to blame for the policeman sitting in an unmarked van with cameras ripping everybody off.

Personally I have respect for the Police, so please don't include me in your sweeping statement, I am not a part of the public to which you refer. I am sure they take great delight in booking people just like you for exactly the reason that you have stated. You have no respect for them..... why on earth should they have respect for you.

For the record I advocate the appropriate use of speed principle, so I speed in non built up areas where I feel it is safe to do so, as a result I take the risk of getting caught. I can't blame the Police for catching me though.

I hope if you are ever in need of the police, you mention to them that they are SURELY SCUM as I am sure they will go the extra mile to help you out.

Dave
Old 20 August 2001, 01:17 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

"Dee doo doo doo, dee dah dah dah is all I want to say to you."

Sums it up I think.
Old 20 August 2001, 01:41 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Wink

bazza - u r a sad man
Old 22 August 2001, 03:59 AM
sasman
Scooby Regular

It may be a boring subject but not everyone has read all the threads on it. If you want someone to change the law they have to start somewhere by voicing there opinions. If you don't like his rant don't read it -post on it, surly this makes your point less valid than his. Like lots of things in life speeding fines are (almost) a complete waste of time. Rant all you want Mr 1100 dont get brain washed by the PC brigade.
Old 22 August 2001, 10:16 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Sasman - this is a public BBS. He can rant if he wants and I can comment if I want. Voicing opinions is a good way to start. Making sweeping generalisations which are patently absurd is not a good way to start.

You believe that speeding fines are almost a complete waste of time. You believe that people should be allowed to speed with impunity. How would you feel if your wife and kids where killed by someone who had just passed their test and where driving their Porker home at 170MPH past the school. Maybe you think that you should personally be allowed to decide where speeding is appropriate. Obviously the law makers are unable to decide this in a manner which suits you and CBR, and as the police are merely enforcing these decisions they have no real input into these decisions. I would be grateful if you could post your views on what you believe the speed limit on the road past my house should be?
Old 22 August 2001, 11:51 PM
scoobylicious
Scooby Newbie

I do agree that speeding irresponsibly is a danger to us all. But going fast does not always equal danger or being wreckless. It seems to me that giving traffic tickets is just a revenue generating system for the police. The second part to this is privacy. How Big Brother are we willing to go here? How much of our privacy are we willing to give up so we can 'catch' the bad guys going 10-15 miles over a speedlimit which a lot of the times is already too slow? I agree that it seems like wasted resources, why not go after some real bad guys out there stealing and hurting people?
Old 23 August 2001, 09:10 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

quote :

"I am not bitching about being caught or punished. You really dont get it. So you think it's OK for a copper 2 be sitting on his **** getting paid overtime to rip people off? My whole point is that if its a law, make it all visibly obvious. Have you been down the A2 and seen all the cameras hidden behind signs."

All due respect but you ARE bitching. The law is the law - irrespective of whether it's a visible law or not.

Highway Code will pretty much tell you the dos and donts.....

Not having a go, and I know you're venting your frustrations, but "C'est la vie"...

Scoob
Old 23 August 2001, 10:12 AM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

The theory behind speed cameras is an excellent one.

In reality, a large percentage are revenue gatherers and I think most people will agree on that.

My problem is that there are seven or eight schools in my local area. Are there speed cameras outside any of them ? (despite the fact that children have actually been killed by speeding drivers by one of these schools).

Reply, no.

So I still play 'dodge the ********' with my four year old daughter every day that I pick her up from school, while the police are hiding behind the de-restricted sign about 800yds up the road, cathing people who are gently accelerating out into clear road territory.

That is my argument. Yes, bring the cameras out and enforce the limit rigidly, but for God's sake do it where people will see it's benefit.

blubs
Old 24 August 2001, 07:50 PM
Lime
Scooby Regular

Question

Just a thought on this whole speeding camera/law farce

Which is worse someone who enforces unjust laws or someone who makes unjust laws...
Old 24 August 2001, 08:48 PM
sasman
Scooby Regular

FB you've obviously got a problem with your road and getting angry with CBR, ME, isn't going to change that. I haven't seen your road ,but if it annoyed me "that much" problem solved I'd MOVE. One person makes the final decision on speed restrictions ultimately, and with all there govt bulls#it statistics, I don't think I could do a worse job. Town limit's are ok, slower in some area's motorways should be as Germany, what's the stats on fatals over there. Following someone for half a mile doing 15-20 over the limit, fixed penalty no prob, doing 44 for half a second in a forty b#ll#cks. If theres one factor involved in a large majority of fatals I'd suggest it's lorries. make them drive at night. ps. the laws the law, not according to the copper who's not declared who was driving his car.
Old 24 August 2001, 10:49 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Here Here! wouldnt it be nice if that copper who was caught speeding just took his rap fine and points like evryone else has to. but no the lying t...t has his **** covered by his mates. just like alex feguson got let off for speeding down hard shoulder in a traffic cue because he had the sh.ts1 david beckem let off for doing over a 100mph. different laws for different people! bit of consistency would be app. lee
Old 24 August 2001, 11:18 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I got Gatsoed. It sucks.
But..well...I was erring on the side of Reckless, so hands up: Guilty as charged.

I agree: the law is the law.
How many of you have ever dropped litter?
Loitered with intent?
Breached the peace?

We are all guilty of one of these heinous crimes....every law is intended to be used AT THE DISCRETION OF THE OFFICER IN QUESTION.

Gatsos change all that.

I agree they have a place on our roads...
but I think they are getting abused now.

AND I think that coppers sat 'policing straight pieces of tarmac' should maybe find some CRIMES to solve, rather than misdemeanours

I am still open to the fact that most coppers want to do the right thing.

I have also been on the recieveing end of a bit of misdirected police brutality.

I thin my point is, really, WHO WATCHES THE WATCHERS?

Quick Reply: THE POLICE