Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Amsterdam - Where to stay

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2001, 02:34 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me and a couple of the Lads are going to Amsterdam on Monday, being well organised, all we've managed to do is get a flight out there (all that matters)

We plan on finding somewhere to stay when we get there.. <B>Cheaply</B>.

Anyone been who can give me a clue where to look for somewehere to stay.. and the best way to have a full amsterdam experience

Andy
Old 25 August 2001, 02:51 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Cheap places to stay, try:

Botel (right by the station) +3120 626 4247

Travel (about 5-10 mins walk from the station) +3120 626 6532

Terminus (Same as above) +3120 622 0535

Arena (Further out, but better facilities for the money) +3120 694 7444

The rates they will charge will be per room, and it's cheaper to share a room. Some places have triple rooms, and it really keeps the costs down! Depends how many of you are going!

When I arranged a mates stag do in Amsterdam, I knocked up a quick document for all the Amsterdam Newbies!!

Got to:
Old 25 August 2001, 02:58 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Andy,
me and Mrs PeteT went over there in April 2000 to pick up my new scoob. We had a great time but finding accomodation was a nightmare.
We just turned up and went to the tourist information where there was a queue of about 15 people in front of us. thinking it would move fairly quickly we waited......for an hour and a half when we finally gave up with still 5 or 6 people in front of us.
We then found an independant accomodation agency who quoted all sorts of silly prices until they found us a cabin on a barge near the city centre. Fortunately this turned out ok if a bit noisy.
You may be OK with it being during the week and not in the tulip season!! but it is the school holidays so could still be very busy.

If I was you I'd try to get something arranged before I went (over the net perhaps).

As for the full Amsterdam experience I couldn't possibly comment as I had the Missus with me

Hope this helps.
Old 26 August 2001, 11:13 AM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Hi Avi

In the sqare outside Centraal Station there is a hotel booking service ( At the Tourist Info place ).

Just tell 'em how much you want to pay and they do the ringing.

The 5 Star hotels are just as cheap as the two and three star ones Monday to Thursday ( about 180 Guilders = £50 approx) due to the lack of punters at non party times.

When I went to work there they put me up in a 2 star hotel for the first 4 nights and the porter told me about the 5 star hotels on my last night. Now the agency uses the 5 star hotels.

The experience

1. Bars - Loads.

2. Coffee Shops for smokes ( don't go for the strongest stuff unless you are used to it ) some places offer a menu service so you may choose your brand and they will roll it for you. Some even have pre rolled in a presentation pack.

3. Red Light District - Walk down From centraal Station to Dam square - Turn left - over two brideges and then left again ( from memory )

Remember not all Dutch girls are on the game and the Police have a big presence and they do not mess around.

4. Restraunts / Clubs - Walk from CS to Dam Square will take you past many including Stoned which as the name suggests is OK.

5. Museums - Loads on MuseumPlein

6. Shopping - Loads of shops

7. Taxis are Expensive ( 50 - 60 Guilders to CS from Airport )

8. Trams/Buses - Buy a Strippen Kaart for 12.50 Guilders then when ever you make a Journey work out how many Zones you go through and then stamp the card.

The card has 15 sections i.e. 15 Zones

E.G. If you go through two fold the card to two and stick it in one of the yellow machines on the tram.

Beware of ticket checkers - They do check tickets frequently and the fine is 60 Guilders and they are big chaps who work in gangs of three.

The trams and buses run until late and they have a very good Night Service on the buses.

Enjoy yourself and take it easy on the smokes.

The Dutch are very relaxed and enjoy life. Most if not all, speak excellent English.

Amsterdam has a very high percentage of foreign workers ( Brits , Americans ).

One final word is when crossing roads watch out for Trams , Buses , Cars and Cyclists they approach from every conceivable angle. I have nearly been hit loads of times.
Old 26 August 2001, 03:11 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers Lads. Some useful info.. I'll bear it in mind.

Andy - couldn't get your guide to work tho'

Off I go....

Andy