Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Set up an FTP??

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2001, 10:13 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to set up a temporary FTP to share some files. using Win2000, the files i need to share are on a Pc that is accessing the internet using internet connection sharing through another pc that is using a cable modem using dhcp.

How can i find out my ip address and will an ftp server program work on the second pc? (I presume both pcs would have the same ip?)

I've downloaded a free program called guildFTP but i aint got a clue how to use it yet

Anyone give me a few pointers?

Andy
Old 23 August 2001, 10:20 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

If you do Start > Run then type 'winipcfg' and select the right interface it will show you your current IP address. I have a program called Serv-U ftp server which is simple to use (you can download it from
Old 23 August 2001, 11:53 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Avi

Unfotunately it wont work. Because Your PC with the files on is not directly connected to thr internet, an ftp session inititated to your temp dial-up address will only get as far as your main PC (with the inet connection). this PC will have nothing configured to redirect (and translate) the ftp session onwards to the other PC.

If you want to share them you'll have to move them to the main pc. Install the ftp server there. Your ip address can be found by either ipconfig or winipcfg depending on Windows version. You should have two, one internet one (ppp adaptor) and a local one for the lan connection between PCs. Std Internet connection sharing uses addresses int 192.168.x.x range fro the LAN. Its the Internet one you'll need to connect to from the Internet

Deano
Old 24 August 2001, 09:03 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Sorry, didn't read the message properly

I thought you had two machines both connected to the internet, one via cable modem and one via dialup.
Old 24 August 2001, 07:08 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Put the ftp on the machine doing the connection sharing

OR

remember the connection sharing can direct certain traffic (by port) to an internal IP. Ports 21/22 are FTP I believe so direct them to your FTP pc.
Old 24 August 2001, 09:50 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Open up port 21 to your machine for the ftp to get through.

However, if you're using DHCP for the connection, how will anyone know the correct IP address? It'll change a lot.

Also, beware that opening up access also adds risk of being hacked - many of the 'cheap' FTP programs are easily compromised!

Best thing to do is find someone else to host the files for you....