Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Question for Finance Bod ..

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2001, 02:19 PM
blubell
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best thing is to speak to the finance company as there may be penalties for early payment. If there are ask how much and how they are calculated as it may still be worth repaying early.

Basic principle is repay as much as possible as soon as possible to reduce interest payments. It may be worth looking at other finance providers eg credit card companies that offer 0% for 6 months if you can trust yourself to pay of the loan (or part of it that you have put on the card). Equally a very cheap way to do it is to add it to a morgage (if you have one) but again you have to be disciplined enough to pay it back in the same or less time by making overpayments each month - otherwise you could still be paying for in in 20 years time!

Old 20 August 2001, 03:40 PM
blubell
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have tried it and it really works (paid off loads of loans early including 20yr morgage in 7 yrs) all by making over payment. However it does take enormous self control. I just set up standing order for repayment plus £*** extra per month. Some lenders insist on a seperate standing order.
Old 21 August 2001, 01:46 AM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

Unlike a mortgage, these fixed interest, fixed term loans are usually very inflexible.

When calculating a settlement figure, the interest is 'loaded' towards the start of the loan and there can be penalties meaning that there is not usually a great saving to be made by refinancing.

However, 12.2% is on the high side. Taking out another loan at 9.9% or even 8.9% to settle the first loan might save you a few pounds.

Barclaycard were doing a special balance transfer at 5.9% until paid off (i.e. almost forever). Not sure if they still are though.

Or you can get a load of credit cards and juggle the balances using the interest-free periods. £15k interest-free for as long as you like no problem

And on my MBNA credit card, they keep extending my special rate - I've been on 3.9% apr for years! Very useful way of borrowing cheaply.

Kevin.