Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ducati......thoughts and advice please

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2001, 12:56 AM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have always wanted a Ducati for as long as I can remember. I am now in a position where I <B>may</B> be able to afford one. I currently ride a 'blade which I am more than happy with but it is not a Ducati now is it! I am confused by which model to go for and how they are with day to day living and usage. It will have to be red of course! I like the 748's, the 916's and the 996 models and hate all the others. Which is the one that'll suit me? It is to be a toy for weekend and occaisional blasts to work and I do carry a pillion from time to time. Any help or advice will be gratefully recieved, and please....try to be helpful! Oh yeah...budget £5-6K.

Thanks

Tim

[This message has been edited by Tim Bomford (edited 19 August 2001).]
Old 19 August 2001, 03:23 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

the most important piece of advice i can offer here is to get one that was made since the American firm took them over.

Ducati never had a quality control dept till they purchased it, and the older bikes are mechanically poor in quality compared to later ones. Can't remember what year this took place though, so you'll have to dig around and find out.

My friend who owned a bike shop showed me parts from early dukes to compare them against the newer ones and you wouldnt believe how much better the newer ones are.

I've ridden lots of 916's (courtesy of the above friend through his shop i ran in six ducati 916's for that sky 'professionals' program a few years back, had them all summer), and had my own 996 for a year.

The 748 you would find VERY slow compared to your blade, it handles better but struggles against the current 600's in a straight line so you'd have to make up for it in corner speed, so i would say your best bet would be to stick to 916 or 996, especially if carrying pillions.
If you carry a pillion you can only look at the Biposto (bp for short), I warn you now your pillion will hate you Roasting legs and bum in the summer.

I actually found the 916's easier to ride than my own 996. I bought a very early 996 and the gearing was set far too high (geared for 180mph but would never make it there) and also the rear tyre was awful on the first ones and turning in was a battle of wills between me and the bike (both of the above has been changed on the current ones).

Newer ones have side stands that don't flip up when you move the bike (VERY annoying) especially when i've seen people squeeze between them at bike shops and knock them over cos of this. You can remove one spring to prevent this on the older ones but this weakens the stand over time and causes the bike to lean at an alarming angle.
I have also had a plethora of false neutrals in most of the dukes i've ridden which gave some surprises at petrol stations etc.
I soon learned to always start mine with the clutch in regardless of what the neutral light was doing.

If your tall using a duke in traffic will kill your wrists (im not so was ok , i'm 5ft 7.

I would recommend getting as long a test ride as possible, the characteristics of a twin take some getting used if you havent done it before (and also contributed to my turn in problems as mentioned above), you'll see what i mean when you ride one.
You'll find MUCH more engine braking going on than on a four, and you have to learn to keep it nailed when turning otherwise they dont like tipping in and just want to go straight on (much more so than a four).

I think that just about covers my experiences

Plus sides are of course the noise, and you have to get the nice big 52mm termi's on there as theres nothing like it
and that its one of the best looking things on two and four wheels.

p.s. check out servicing costs. Due to the somewhat agricultural engine (compared to Japanese bikes anyway) , servicing can be very expensive when compared to your blade.

Sorry it was such a long reply, any further questions just ask.

[This message has been edited by ptholt (edited 19 August 2001).]
Old 19 August 2001, 04:50 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

All useful stuff, thanks. I was thinking another 900 as the 748 would be slow compared to the blade.

Tim
Old 19 August 2001, 10:51 PM
edzt
Scooby Newbie

Hi this may not be helpfull but I own a duke & a 98 blade.The blade is the better bike but it's boring. I'd swop them both for an aprila RSV mille, take a test ride before you buy the duke.
748's handle better than 916's but I am told they are more fragile
Ed
Old 20 August 2001, 08:24 AM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Oh dear....guess I'm just going to have to ride 'em all huh?! Local Ducati dealer is also Aprilia dealer but me sights have always been on a Duke. Does anyone know when they were bought by an American firm as I'd like a bike that has got quality control!

Tim
Old 20 August 2001, 09:38 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Tim, i'll ask my friend that owned the bike shop if he can remember when the usa company took over.

It made a huge difference to the quality of the bikes and parts he got through when they took over.

I'm fairly sure it was around 97/98
Old 20 August 2001, 10:38 AM
cbr1100xx
Scooby Regular

Mate, I have a CBR 1100XX. Why do you want a Ducati. I raced one yesterday and blew it off the road. My mate was on his 96 Blade and blew the Ducati off the road. Italian bikes and the most unreliable in the world! Mate, stay with Honda, or get an R1 or something. Dont go down the SAD Ducati Road!
Old 20 August 2001, 02:53 PM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

Mate of mine, on a Blade, followed a bunch of people getting a demo on Ducatis, including his mate who was testing the 748 - the blade was far quicker in speed and handling, so would suggest you look at the bigger engined ones.
Old 20 August 2001, 04:41 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

thanks chaps
Didn't really want a 748!
Tim