Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rave review, Raindance last night!

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2003, 06:06 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Christ on a bike, Raindance really have set the standard for others to follow now. The short version is I've just returned from the best night I've had out in a long time. But of course some like the long version. Here we go.
Raindance's last event at the SE1, formerly the Drome, was overshadowed by a number of incidents, Most notably the untimely deaths of two ravers. Raindance thereafter spent two years in the wilderness, and only now have returned to the venue. Raindance would not return to such a venue had appropriate steps not been taken to prevent a reoccurance of such a tragedy. Apart from the rename, SE1 has now got such luxuries as fully plumbed in toilets, Painted and sealed floors (no dust) a fire alarm, CCTV throughout the complex, and most importantly a very large (and I've heard very expensive) "air management system". The latter is essential when you have a large amount of ravers generating immense amounts of heat.
I'd been to Se1 previously for a United Dance event and was positivly cold at one point, so I knew it was more than capable of handling an event the size that Raindance were planning.
And immense it was, we got to Stainer St. and the queue was huge. We snuck in with some friends and the queue just got huger and huger. We started queueing at 9.30 and soon after being expertly marshalled by friendly security and the welcome return of the clockwork guardsmen, we handed over our tickets and prepared to be searched. The search was intimate but fair, the bloke who searched me gracefully backed off when I told him about my scar and its (and my) aversion to being prodded. Soon afer I was in.
The layout was similar to their last party with the Oldskool room having the main arch, the hardcore arch in the middle, the jenkins lane reunion arch, which doubled as the chillout, having the second biggest arch and the Drum & Bass arch getting the smallest arch. even though I knew the lineup I still had a look at the boards, Nemesis was on first in the hardcore arena so off I went. When I got there I was impressed with the amount of production which had gone into the just this one arch. 4 glitter ***** covered the whole place with dots of light which interlinked when illuminated. Together with Strobes, a hefty laser, serious smoke machines and the rest of the lighting, I was pleasanty surprised to see a pair of bubble machines in the centre of the arch which added to the fun and atomosphere whenever they were turned on.
First up in the hardcore arch was Nemesis, an up and coming who played a good warmup set. As always, I'm a bit fuzzy on the tune selection, but I can remember him playing a hardcore rip of Opus III, "It's a fine day" which I really enjoyed. However, the venue was only just starting to fill up and atmosphere was a little lacking. After a short while I went for a wander around to see what the rest of the place was like. The main arch was huge. It extended for about 20 or so metres away from the main stage and was decorated in Raindance's usual style of décor. I particually liked the "Raindance 2000 with the zero crossed out and a 1 in its place, the 1 was then crossed out and it had a two, then the two was... Well, you get the idea
By this time Nemesis had finished and Storm and Herman were up next. I'm afraid I cannot remember a single tune that was played, but with the arena, indeed the venue, filling up nicely, it was shaping up to be a huge party. One concern I did have was that I was getting very hot. It was a big concern cos the last time I was here the heat was literally a killer. However, someone in charge noticed this and by the end of Storm's and Herman's set the aircon was on time and a half and I was feeling a lot better.
After Storm and Herman, was the legendary DJ Vibes. Vibes has been a rarity in hardcore arenas lately so a pat on the back is due to whoever came up with the idea of getting him back in there. MC Livelee was meant to be doing a set on the mic with him, but unfortunatly he was unwell on the night, so Whizzkid manfully filled his shoes.
Vibes plays either a hyper cheesecore, or obscure breakbeat oriented sets, I was desperately hoping for some cheese and I werent dissapointed either. Yes I'm a cheeser, and I'm happy with that fact. So happy in fact I cant remember a single minute of his set. I have vague memories of "love of your life" being played, but don't quote me on it At the end of his set Vibes took the mic off Whizzkid to address the crowd. However, due to the fact I was not a little pissed and Vibes was wasted as well, meant I didn't understand a word he was saying Never mind, I'll catch it on the tapepack
Next was Ponder and HB. The Elation boys played almost exclusivly new material with some classics thrown in for good measure. For those who like their hardcore that's original and with a broad variety of styles, you cant go wrong with Ponder and HB. Peak time set as well. Nice one boys

The biggest DJ of the night was Sy, usually with Sy is the one like the MC Storm, but he was conspicuous by his absence, so Whizzkid put in some more overtime and covered for him. Sy played a mental set. Fast and banging, he was dropping loads of upfront classics. I went bananas when "Black Magic" came on. Haven't rushed like that for a while, I can tell you.
After Sy, the night became a bit of a blur. Lukozade was on after, as well as a late running MC Storm, but for the life of me, I cant remember what was being played. It'll probably come back to me in a violent flashback later on, if it does I'll let you know.
Kevin Energy of Nu Energy fame did the 4-5 set with a much needed injection of freeform. However, the tunes were not the biggest contribution that he made to the night, what really got my respect was the workmanlike sorting out of the sound system. In my 4 years of raving, I think that was the worst setup I've ever heard. No tops, no mids, just a distorted bassline. The MC sounded like he was talking through a bag of cotton wool as well. Funnily enough every other arena seemed to be fine. Hell even the chillout had a better setup than us. It really took the edge off the evening and made it exceptionally hard to get into the music. The most shocking thing was all it needed was an adjustment, but no-one could be bothered until Energy took the bull by the horns and played with the EQ. Buy the end of his set the sound system was working how it should have but that's not the point. Every other arena was sorted out in the sound department except the hardcore arena. That fact alone is nothing short of shocking. On the flyer the hardcore arena is labelled & "the resurgent sound" It's a pity we are still treated as second class ravers and made to make do with second best. Next time, make sure Energy is on early so he can sort out your system for you, eh boys?
With the sound in order, I could get back into the night. Who else better to help me than Cris-E-Manic? Fresh from a road trip from Hereford, she and Uplift played for half an hour each till 6am. Wicked sets from both of them, Cris finishing on a **** hot Luna-C breakbeat tune, followed by Uplift playing a set I really enjoyed dancing to.
Assiting them on the mic was MC wottsie. A realtive newcomer to big time Mc'ing I've seen him at dreamscape, Hardcore heaven and Raindance. Everytime I see him I'm more and more impressed with his talent. When Wottsie is on the mic you just cant help dancing. His lyrics are as fast as the music and his delivery and ability to hype the crowd is up there with the best. He was on the mic for about 3 hours in all and didnt fade once, Coming back for more right till the end. Wottsie did a fantastic job and I cant wait to see him again.
The final set of the night went to another stranger to recent hardcore arenas, DJ Slipmatt.
He was billed as doing a 95-96 set and I was really looking forward to it. I got what I wanted as well. An absolute classic set from Slippers featuring "United in Dance", "Rushing on pink champagne" and other timeless tunes which had the ravers singing along. Set of the night? Its definitly in the running.
Like I said at the start, I've just returned from best night I've had in a long time. Musically it was spot on.. Whatever style of hardcore you were into, you got at least a couple of tunes you liked. The line was was so varied that I was loving the set I was hearing as well as not being able to wait for the next set.
The Night really flew by. Quote of the night goes to Grob Le frog for summing up the evening for us both "Magic, Just magic."
Raindance has finally returned. I hope this will be the start of many parties to be held at Se1. If there is I'm gonna be at the front of the queue for every single one of them. As Barticle said to me toward the end of the evening "There are events and raves. This, is a rave."
Astraboy.
Shouts to: Oh gawd, here we go... Paul Hardcore, Anis, J sainsbury, Grob Le frog, Caine, Tenz, Raveangel, Mr. Raveangel, Sined, Simon, Barticle, Dairymilk warrior, Paul W (Zykotic), Desire, Cris-E-manic, Uplift, Energy, Vinny (50 gallon hat cru), DJ Storm, MC Storm, Chedda, Can someone tell Carlo I said hello , Snort, Nitr-8, MC Kans & his missus, Mayhem, Sorcerer, Andy M, Nova, IWolf, HB, Ponder, James F, Sweetstar, Charlie Kitten & James, Look there are tons of people I saw. Shouts to everyone who was there cos you are all heroes. As soon as my brain comes back from the holiday its obiviously taking, I'll post up the rest of the shouts. Cheers.
Old 23 February 2003, 06:40 PM
SL2
Scooby Regular

I went to most of the events in 2000. They kept saying the place had been sorted but it never was. Although the early events in 2000 weren't too hot(not so many people). The event was always good though.
Old 23 February 2003, 06:47 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

i take u enjoyed yourself then

cheers

big sinky

Old 23 February 2003, 06:47 PM
Luke
BANNED

Wink

Short and sweet...
Old 23 February 2003, 08:06 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

come on mj - how was your resteraunt trip??
Old 23 February 2003, 08:53 PM
Kosy
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

LMAO @ UncleBuck!
Old 24 February 2003, 10:40 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

<i take u enjoyed yourself then >
Oooooooohhhhh yes! even if I'm finding being alive a bit of a chore today.
astraboy.
Old 24 February 2003, 09:53 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

The short version is..
SHORT?,now I'm convinced - AB is oficially bonkers, that first line was as much as I could bring myself to read, as you may gather - hardcore/all night raves/pilled up woodentops constanly asking you "alright mate,what you on? - where you from? just aint my thang.

I'd be here till 6 in the morning if I copied/pasted/edited that lot

I'll give the lad his due though, he does what he likes and likes what he does.

The kofte kebabs were magnificent by the way.

Old 24 February 2003, 10:08 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

just started to read said review and managed to get this far before putting fingers to keyboard,

the untimely deaths of two ravers
I'm not takin the p1ss here, but as far as I can gather, there is absoluteley nothing "untimely" about it.

Swallowing 4 or 5 pills made from god knows what in somebody's shed or some so-called lab, and then jumping round for 8 hrs in temperatures of 45 deg C, with next to no air or water is asking for trouble.

on to read some more...

ps,

BTW, AB, this is not a personal vendetta against you or what you do. each to their own I say, and as Like said "stick with it" . You post your opinions on a public BB and so do I, Its just I cannot see the fascination in driving up and down britain every weekend eating chemicals. Not saying you do of course.