Telewest IR, TIVO & Set Top Box question

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2001, 12:41 AM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>
The Tivo has 2 IR transmitters on cables, and one on the front<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you mean Don't understand what you mean by transmitters on cables...

I suspect that the TIVO IR cannot cope with the Telewest box, as it will be the wrong frequency, but am not sure.

My remote is the Smart Remote & Docking Station from LektroPacks
Old 06 August 2001, 10:48 AM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Angry

Chaps,

Wondering if anyone out there knows the answer to this one:

I have cable TV from Telewest in Bristol, but have 2 annoying problems.

1. Whilst on holiday/down pub etc. I can only record from one Cable channel, as it is not possible to change the channel on the Set Top Box (STB).

2. The STB uses an IR frequency beyond the range of my sexy all-in-one programmable touch-screen remote that controls the DVD, TV, Video, all HIFI kit etc.

Q1 - Rumour has it that the new TIVO box has an adaptor that will change channels on the STB at the required time - anyone have one on Telewest and can confirm this?

Q2 - Anyone have a solution to the IR frequency problem on the TW STB?

Q3 - I heard a rumour that someone (Sky?) was about to bring out a combined box that performed the STB functionality and acted as a Hard Disc recorder (like the Tivo). Obviously this is no use to a TW customer, anyone know if this is true, and whether there are plans to offer them to TW/NTL customers?

Thanks,

Alex
Old 06 August 2001, 11:56 AM
M_D_B
Scooby Regular

Alex,
The Tivo has 2 IR transmitters on cables, and 1 on its front, which it uses to control your Sky/ITV-Digital/Cable box. I have no experience with Cable so I don't know if there are any compatability problems with any of them.
Touchscreen remote, is this a Pronto/RC5000 ?
Sky are soon(?) releaseing Sky+ which is going to cost £300 for the box, £50 for a new quad LNB and £10 per month subscription, this will only work with Sky. There are always rumours of combined ITV-Digital/hard disc recorders being on their way, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same is true of cable boxes. It might be worth popping over to the AVS Tivo bulletin board and seeing if there is anyone there who can help.
Old 06 August 2001, 02:16 PM
M_D_B
Scooby Regular

Okay,
the Tivo has a 3.5mm jack on the back into which plugs a cable which goes to 2 IR transmitters, I have one placed over the IR receiver on my Sky digibox, the other is placed out of the way so that it doesn't cause any problems (a bit like
Old 06 August 2001, 02:28 PM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Martin,

Right thanks. Yes looks like the cable is just like an "IR extension lead" in simple terms...

I suspect that won't solve the problem as it won't emit the signal that my STB will understand

I will wait until I can find someone who can confirm it works with Telewest - frustration mounting as I don't want to end up not being able to control the STB

Alex
Old 06 August 2001, 11:50 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

There is a huge thread on RemoteCentral
Old 07 August 2001, 11:31 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Lightbulb

Alex

I'm with telewest and you can get the channels to change on my STB.

With mine I can goto the TV guide, select the program I want to watch, then set the reminder option. Then, using the menu setup set the reminder option to automatically switch to the channel when it starts. this way I can set the video to record the 'channel for cable' and the STB now automatically switches between cable channels tranmitted to the video.

I hope that reads OK!

Justin
Old 07 August 2001, 11:40 AM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Justin,

Thanks for that - lateral thinking, I like it and will use it as a solution to the multiple cable channel record problem.

So that solves my problem number 1 about recording more than one cable channel, and it seems from the other forums mentioned by others here that the only solution to getting my universal remote to work with the TW STB is to buy a very expensive adapter (a TIVO!)

Still, I like the idea of a TIVO and may go for it anyway ...

Would still like to know if a combined STB and TIVO-like device is in the offing in the near future if anyone knows