New MG ZR and ZS ... first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2001, 06:41 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

are that they are *really* good

I drove both today, the ZR 160 first followed by the ZS 2.5 V6.

The ZR was initially the most impressive, feeling very firm and surprisingly quick. The engine is nice and responsive and has got a nice growl to it, the brakes are also pretty good, although not as good as a set of P1 4-pots

The most shocking thing is how it felt, simply fantastic leaps to mind. I took it down a country lane I know well and had some fun, *possibly* more fun than my old WRX... it's that good imho.

The onto the ZS... The engine is lovely, sounds great and is very responsive, pulling eagerly through the rev-range. It (or the ZR) hasn't got the rush of an Impreza but they are great fun and are definately quick.

The brakes on the ZS are considerably better than the ZR and the car is definately quicker and is the better car in terms of 'maturity', it feels as though more time has been spent on it.

Even taking that into account I think the ZR would possibly be the one to get (for me at least), it was great fun and I might even get one, it has a rough and ready yet very composed feel to it that is really quite attractive. Then again the ZS might prove pretty irresistable with the engine, if only they had put the V6 in the ZR...

I think that MG and Peter Stevens have done a great job and have given the company a sorely needed shot in the arm. Go and drive them and I think you will pleasantly surprised.

comments?

ta,
Matt.
Old 30 July 2001, 08:45 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw a ZR coming towards me the other day.

I honestly thought it was a boy racer special until I got quite close.

Shame really.

ZS looks really good, but its not tha quick really is it. Dont know if a supercharger is an option though, 2.5 V6 superchared? yum yum

robski