Wedding abroad

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2003, 04:41 PM
Columbia300man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi guys,

I am deciding whether or not to get married in england or bugger off to a nice tropical place to get married, what do you people think, added the cost of a wedding in england! church wedding with 50 people, 50 people eating at the breakfast, then 150 people at a reception, full blown works, is going to set me back between 12k-15k if i go abroad i can have the honeymoon and wedding in the same deal at a cost of about 4-5k, i know i am a bloke but which one would you go for and you dont get all the hassle of organsing much, come on advice. Has anyone got married abroad or know of good places to go, websites etc?

come on give me a hand!!

thanks
Old 17 February 2003, 04:55 PM
Scooby Snacks
Scooby Regular

I'm getting married this June and the wife-to-be are paying for it ourselves as, basically, her parents are bloody tight!

We are having a church wedding, with reception at the Queenstand at Epsom Racecourse (for 80 people) and a 10 day honeymoon in the Bahamas and the cost of the day is sitting at about £14K so far. This does not include beer money for the honeymoon (which I will need plenty of).

We discussed getting married abroad yesterday but reckon by the time you've shipped out your close family and then had a blessing when you get home, it would cost you the same amount. The worst thing about this is you end up honeymooning with your mother-in-law in most cases!!!!!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

SS.
Old 17 February 2003, 07:19 PM
seejay555
Scooby Regular

Got married in Kenya in October 2000 - 2nd time for me, first for Louise. It was ever so simple and IMHO much more relaxed and enjoyable. I suppose it depends on what you want. If you/your intended wants a big wedding with all family and friends then you aren't going to get that abroad. If you're not that bothered yourselves (and are just having the big do to please others) then why not?
I'd pick the country carefully. When we went to Kenya we were the only couple getting married in the 2 weeks that we were there so it felt special. We went to Mauritius last October and during the 2 weeks we were there, there must have been about 20 weddings and, at times, it seemed a bit of a procession.
Most hotels that offer it know what they are doing so just choose the location and ask them how busy they are!!!
Old 17 February 2003, 10:07 PM
subevo
Scooby Regular

recently married in las vegas and it wasnt tacky as every one said it would be.meal was in the 1000 feet high stratosphere hotel which has a revolving restaurant to watch the sun set.followed by a gondula ride at the venitian.no mishaps and cheap once your there.stay in britain and get ripped off in my opinion.
Old 17 February 2003, 10:13 PM
Huxley Chick
Scooby Regular

Huxley & I got married in Antigua - didn't take anyone with us, stayed at an all inclusive hotel & the whole thing came to about £2.5k. Had a party when we got back (which only cost a couple of hundred).

Had an absolutely brilliant time & no arguing over seating arrangements etc.

At the end of the day it depends on what you want (not your nearest & dearest!). It's your day so you should do what you want to do
Old 18 February 2003, 08:08 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

I have recently done a stopover in Langkawi island just off East Malaysia. Around this time of year the weather is best....fecking hot!!! But OMG it is BEAUTIFUL!!!! If you want to do a beach wedding then this is the place to do it!!!!

White sands, lovely chalets, crystal clear sea, tiny islands dotted around breaking up the skyline which is just blue, blue and more blue. Oh and a big hot sun lurking around too.

The food is lurrrvely and they drive on the correct side of the road!!!! Everything is well cheap out there (6RM to 1UKP).

I well recommend it.
Old 18 February 2003, 08:33 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Virgin Weddings.
Sister-in-law got married in Florida.
Everything was sorted, catered for 40+ people and went with any problems at all.
The biggest problem [that I could think of] is whether the people you really want to be there will be able to go.
I would definitely recommend it.
My wedding in the UK in 1992 cost in excess of 12k.
Her wedding cost considerably less