Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Travel to Nigeria?

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2001, 11:23 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for information from unbiased sources... Have been asked visit the offices over there to sort out some technical problems in Lagos and Port Harcourt. Any travellers tips?

Been to the
Old 23 July 2001, 01:32 PM
JohnS

Red face

Make sure you get the danger money agreed in advance before you head off. Most of the people I've worked with who have been sent over there got £150 - £200 per day on top of their salaries as danger money.

I know of one person who was killed over there (quite a few years ago) by the police/military. His car (with armed guard) was stopped at a roadblock and the police/military thought he looked like someone on their wanted list and shot him on sight without any questions being asked

Apart from that, most of the compounds are relatively safe to live in, and as long as you don't venture out without an armed guard then you should be OK.
Old 23 July 2001, 10:08 PM
TimD
Scooby Regular

Miles

If your company sends a lot of people out there, there should be someone in your company who can advise you on "Africa specific" stuff. I used to work for Halliburton, and they had a team of people to facilitate the Africa stuff, and a dedicated person (in the UK) to sort out security related things.

With regard to the need for a trip, NCR (believe it or not) have a massive techy workforce in Lagos, Pt Harcourt, Warri etc. Local IT folks have only half the knowledge of average IT techies here, but there rates are about a tenth the UK rate - therefore many companies employ loads of support folks. And, in those people, about 1 in 5 is a real star!
Old 23 July 2001, 11:29 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Oh, hadn't thought of danger money Will have to investigate as unlike you I'm a permie and I don't think there's a provision for this type of trip . Will discuss it with the boss tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.
Old 24 July 2001, 10:56 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Red face

Make sure you take US dollars in $10 denominations as everyone at the airport will demand a backhander on the way out or else a delay may occur to you or your baggage!!
Backhanders are a way of life, claiming them back via expenses however is not as easy.

Cheers
Cammy
Old 24 July 2001, 11:19 AM
firefox
Scooby Regular

When I've been over there,

I've always been driven about by an "experienced" driver (read as security guard - normally British ex-military).

Customs at the airport are corrupt. There are no rules. One trick is to leave a pack of cigarettes in the top of your bag. They will usually take these and not even bother searching you any more.

Ensure all your paperwork is in order, visa is stamped. Chances are your company will have a representative at the airport to help you through things and then drive you to your camp/hotel.

There's other stuff.. but it takes the fun out of it, if everyone tells you

J.

Old 26 July 2001, 01:32 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Red face

Got my jabs tomorrow