Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Not wishing to be a jerk but,,,,

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2003, 11:45 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what does the phrase one lady owner mean to you? I've often seen it used, but the last thing I'd like is for a lady to be the sole carer of a car I wish to buy. Everytime I see the phrase I always think about oil levels going unchecked for months on end, tyre pressures gone to pot etc etc. I know the car is less likely to have been bounced off the rev -limiter or thrown round corners with the tyres squealing, but I'd rather have that done, than for the car to go without any basic mechanical care and attention.

This isn't an rant against women drivers, I'm often more comfortable when a passenger if a woman is driving. Just been wondering recently if anyone else thought it a bit ironic that a car is deemed to better if its been in the hands of someone who is more likely to have been ignoring basic maintenance requirements.

Is there anything else that you see that strikes you as ironic, which was the point of this post.
Old 15 February 2003, 11:56 PM
TheScooby
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yeah mate, i'm definetly with you on this one. I was out looking for cars this morning, and on some cars now, it seems like "1 lady owner" is a feature of a car?? It definetly has a flip side. On one hand, you do have the fact that the car probably hasn't gone past 5 grand, and there most likely hasn't been any modifications to put stress on the engine. But then again, as you said, the car might have been neglegted by lack of servicing etc. The same could probably be said about "1 elderly owner". Ironic indeed.....

TheScooby
Old 15 February 2003, 11:59 PM
Popeye P1
Scooby Regular

Even worse is baby forces sale.
Old 16 February 2003, 12:00 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Ironic - yes, its supposed to be a good thing, 'One Lady Owner' Might have had 20 Men Owners of course!!

The thing that I find amazing are these TV polls - ring in at £1:50 a minute to tell them yes or no to something or the other.

Results:- YES = 52% NO = 30% DONT KNOW = 18%

WHO THE HELL RINGS A PREMIUM RATE NUMBER AND SAYS, 'I DONT KNOW'??

Pete
Old 16 February 2003, 12:01 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Popeye - yes, can just picture baby with a Magnum pointed at Daddy, 'The Scooby goes'

Pete
Old 16 February 2003, 01:13 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

Reffro.

I think I drive like a bloke.

Rev limiter....isn't that a signal to change gear? LOL Braking for a corner? I thought a scandinavian flick was the way to get round it.

Seriously though......don't think that all women owners of performance cars drive like girls....
Old 16 February 2003, 01:28 AM
Ian_S
Scooby Regular

you forget parking dents too!
Old 16 February 2003, 01:41 AM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Little Miss WRX - Glad you know what the rev limiter is for. That's my way of thinking. The car is used at the weekends as a toy. The Red line is touched very often in the first 2 gears as much as poss.

But I do know what people mean about '1 Lady owner' I would steer clear mainly 'cos it normally means no servicing, short journeys, always a cold engine etc.
Old 16 February 2003, 08:32 AM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

..cheap perfume all over the steering wheel, pot pourri in the ash tray, smudged up windscreen where they demist it with their nivea'd up greasy hands.
cobwebs on the dipstick, washing up liquid in the washer bottle, seat stuck as far forward as the runners will allow.

hahaahhahahahahhhaha it goes on....

all in good humour of course
BB
Old 16 February 2003, 10:16 AM
Magic Boot
Scooby Regular

Talking

My pet hate has got to be when sellers, especially dealers, put in their adverts the imortal line "PRICED TO SELL".

How many people have priced their cars not to sell!!!! How stupid.
Old 16 February 2003, 02:00 PM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

"One lady owner" is best on really massively modified novas and stuff

Even if it was true, she's gonna be a girl racer who's thrashed it about
Old 16 February 2003, 02:10 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Question

I have a 2 year old car which requires servicing every 20,000 miles.

Does this mean that I have to check things apart from the mirror being in the right position?
Old 16 February 2003, 02:12 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

My statement wasn't meant to be an attack on women's driving standards or skills, my Mum and Sister are two of the fastest and safest drivers I know, my friends are always commenting that they got blasted past by one of them. How many other Mum's are known to comment that the speedo on a diesel Discovery isn't very good, the markings ran out at 115mph, but the needle just kept going round the dial....

Its just that I found it particularly ironic that 'one lady owner' is supposed to mean more care has been given to the car, when in all likelyhood is means the exact opposite.
Old 16 February 2003, 02:16 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Talking

I suppose it means it may have been looked after by a professional, rather than a bloke who thinks he's a part-time mechanic. Also, women has less accidents so it is less likely to have been repaired. (I know that this may be one of those statistics which has been "modified", but women tend not to right-off cars as often or have really major accidents.)
Old 16 February 2003, 03:16 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Talking

I know the car is less likely to have been bounced off the rev -limiter or thrown round corners with the tyres squealing
ROFL!! It depends on the woman driver!!

FWIW, the oil, (and other fluid levels), in my car get checked frequently and I can tell by the feel of the car if the tyre pressures are even slightly off. I have a digital gauge to check the tyre pressures, as I find the tyre pressure machines on garage forecourts are usually very badly calibrated.

I know several male drivers who take much less care of their cars than I do. (OK, so they clean theirs more often, big deal!!)

Now, either I just swallowed the bait, or Reffro, you need to get a more enlightened attitude.
Old 16 February 2003, 03:17 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Wink

Seriously though......don't think that all women owners of performance cars drive like girls....
'Chelle, no ****?!
Old 16 February 2003, 03:26 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Talking

I know the car is less likely to have been bounced off the rev -limiter or thrown round corners with the tyres squealing
As long as you blokes continue to believe that us girlies will never have any trouble selling our cars, ignorance is bliss huh Reffro???

Sal

[Edited by scoobychick - 2/16/2003 3:30:26 PM]
Old 16 February 2003, 03:30 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

There is no bait, I was commenting on the irony in the phrase 'one lady owner'. I would expect all the ladies on here to be more attentive to the basic checks and care of their cars. Its a fact that if you are a regular poster on here you are going to be a car enthusiaist and understand that regular care and attention will reap its rewards. I'm not interested in having a dig at lady driver's supposed failings, that was never the point of the original post, as I thought I made clear at the time.
Old 16 February 2003, 03:32 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Wink

I have no option but to ensure my car gets regular care and attention, after all, the flaming thing needs to be serviced every 6 months!!

[Edited by TurboKitty - 2/16/2003 3:32:52 PM]
Old 16 February 2003, 07:28 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Also, women has less accidents so it is less likely to have been repaired.
That is a misconstrued fact. Women have fewer accidents in total but more per miles driven.

Simon.
Old 16 February 2003, 08:34 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Talking

I did say that what I said may be a "modified" statistic. But we still get lower insurance, no matter whether the stats are misconstrued or not.
Old 16 February 2003, 10:48 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Indeed you do. And I am grateful for that fact that by putting a named female driver on my insurance that it actually goes down

Simon.
Old 16 February 2003, 10:57 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Lol... yeah. I put my 23yo learner driver g/f on my 200sx and my premium dropped

I'm 29, been driving for 11 years, no claims, crashes or points. Almost fell of my chair when the girl at the insurance company told me i'd be 40 quid a year better off.