Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Vodafone - £80 to buy my number back.

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2001, 02:32 AM
Tom Evans
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I lost my Nokia 8850 on Saturday and rang the police and insurance company, as you do.

I then spoke to a mate who works opposite to where I bought the phone. He is good friends with the bloke who runs the shop and I asked him whether I'd be able to keep my old number.

Later, he gets back to me and says yes... if you buy it back. I'm thinking that that sounds a bit harsh, and surely it'd be better for Vodafone's customer relations if they were able to just give you back your old number.

Then he told me that it would cost £80, or so. Are they taking the p***. I can't afford this, but then I can't afford not to, because of the hassle. I would have to notify everyone who is in the phone (luckily put numbers on computer in case something like this happened) and you also have to notify the bank that you've changed number, etc.

I had insurance, but I have to pay £25 excess, so in all it would cost £105 to replace my phone that was fully insured. I'm not sure what you think, but to me it seems crazy. That is just over half the new cost of the phone.

Does anyone know whether my friend is right and I do have to buy the number back, and is it £80??

Anyone had any experience of this?? What happened??

Any other comments / advice??

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 04 July 2001, 07:09 AM
p1 media
Scooby Regular

Tom

u r wasting ya time mate, happened to me as well, if you want ya number ya gotta pay, and we have a business account with that lot !!!

its a pain, but thats a massive business ya up against, have you tried claiming thru ya home insurance as well ?

Greg

Old 05 July 2001, 04:28 AM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I'm on a pre-pay with Vodaphone, (in a big month i might spend a fiver), broke my old phone, got a new one for Christmas, rang em up, can I have my old number on this phone please? yep no problem, no charge.

Are you sure the 80 quid doesn't only apply if your changing networks.

If the still want the money, just say fine, if you charge me I'll go to another provider
Old 05 July 2001, 12:54 PM
KF
Scooby Regular

If I were you I would phone your service provider. Mention Oftel, number retention and the fact that if you are going to be forced to change number, you might as well use a cheaper service provider (bluff). I am sure they will capitulate.
There is some case history about individuals demanding to keep their number, some cases have been sucessful, but I failed to find anything describing your scenario.
Good luck.
KF.
Old 05 July 2001, 10:24 PM
Matt R
Scooby Regular

Thats bad, I lost my Cellnet phone recently that was insured, £25 excess, but within 12 hours i had a new phone and simcard with my existing number on.
You should be able to activate a new simcard as they will only have put a temporary block on the account, and this can be lifted. Also, argue that you have paid your Line rental on that number in advance as you have to, so you have a right to a refund on your line rental or your old number back connected,
Good luck, If you still have trouble mail me off list and I will speak to a mate who sells phones for vodafone corporate and see if he can sort it for you.
Old 05 July 2001, 10:33 PM
ChrisB

Sounds like somebody is winding you up.

One of the guys at work had his 8210 on Orange nicked one night. Rang Orange next day, then PC Plod to get a crime number. New 8210 and SIM with the same number turned up next day.

Have you rung Vodafone or whoever your airtime provider is?

Chris.