Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Red Sea : Anyone been?

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2001, 12:42 AM
KimA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have never been before - we're going to Dawar El Omda.

Anyone been here? What did you think? Any tips/advice appreciated.

Cheers
Kim & Dom
Old 25 June 2001, 05:19 PM
PeterJ
Scooby Regular

Been on the red sea both Israel (eilat) and Egypt (Hurghada). what sort of advice are you after?
Old 26 June 2001, 12:26 AM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Have a word with Colin, he would or parted it once with them sandals he wears

Old 26 June 2001, 01:38 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

lol @ ronnie,
Should go careful on Colin, tis an old old man now
Old 26 June 2001, 02:22 PM
KimA
Scooby Regular

Smile

Ronnie - RAOFLMAO

Peter - any advice/tips really - is it chilly in the evenings (have heard it is), will we need to take snorkelling gear (hope not, Dom's flippers'll be massive ), is food/drink expensive, do you need to take malaria tablets, can you recommend any good places to visit?

Cheers
Kim & Dom
Old 26 June 2001, 03:03 PM
PeterJ
Scooby Regular

Hi. At this time of year, it should be scorching day and night 40+ degrees. Snorkelling wise, dependent on the resort you should be able to hire stuff or buy cheaply (That's what I did). I don't think that Hygene is a priority so I would suggest at least buying your own snorkell tube. Food - once again, depends on the resort but watch out for small greasy fast food outlet type places. Got very sick after eating a kebab or something similar. Not nice! Shouldn't neet to take any tablets, but I'd check that with a doctor. I never took any and survived! Bugs can be a nuisance, so take bug spray.

Things to do. Lot's of boat trips for snorkelling. Other then that, when I was in Hurghada, there seemed like very little to do. If you are there for 2 weeks, I would recommend that you do a short break to Luxor or somewhere else on the Nile a there is no temples etc on the red sea coast, it's all around the Nile. If you travel, do not be surprised by the constant Machine Gun toting Police presence as you travel through the Egyptian countryside. They are there to protect you. It's not that there are hoards of criminals/terrorists etc waiting behind every bush, just that they won't allow another Luxor massacre.

Oh, when you are shuttled from the airport/on trips etc, make sure that you insist that the driver uses air con. Left alone, they will switch it off & you will roast!

Also, bargain hard for anything that i not fixed priced. Taxi drivers / boat captains etc will try and rip you off. Do not embark on any voyage/trip without first agreeing the price or they will have you over a barrel.

lastly, if you are going with your wife/girlfriend/teenage daughter etc, expect and get used to quite a lot of leering from local men. Take it as a compliment even though you will experience moments when you feel like punching someone!!!!

Hope there's some useful info in there!!

Cheers,

Peter.
Old 26 June 2001, 03:05 PM
PeterJ
Scooby Regular

Kim, just figured that you are probably the Wife / Girlfriend in all of this. Still, you will find yourself wanting to hit someone I expect, my wife did!!!

Trending Topics

Old 26 June 2001, 03:41 PM
KimA
Scooby Regular

Smile

Peter,

That's all great - thanks.

You're right though, I'm "THE WIFE" - think I'll carry my snorkel with me everywhere in case I need it to bash anyone with it

Thanks again
Kim