Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Best/Cheapest place for Laptops

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2001, 01:00 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys..

I am in the market for a laptop, my suppliers arent that good for laptops...

So, can any of you suggest/recommend anywhere ?

Cheers,

J.
Old 25 June 2001, 03:24 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Hi j

I got mine from a company called AJP
Old 25 June 2001, 05:22 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Depends what you want from the laptop and your price range...

If you want something VERY small, you won't find it from the 'generic' market (eg Sony Vaio), though this is where the 'cheap' laptops are to be found.

You may also find you get a product that's been put together without regard for things like battery life and heat disspation.

Having used many laptops I've come to the conclusion that sticking with the big boys gets you a well designed, integrated package with good battery life that doesn't fry itself and software drivers that work - though of course this comes at a price too high for most people who are buying their own laptops.

Try and find somewhere you can try the things out: the keyboard/mouse aren't something you can change later! Some places do a money back option: A couple of years back I bought a laptop from AJP and returned it as the battery life was shocking and I got mild burns on my legs to to the heat output. To their credit, they accepted it back without arguing....
Old 25 June 2001, 10:08 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Talking

Would agree with Kryten, depends what you are after, you have two choices...

1 Generic Laptop - Eg AJP, Kapoc, Pico... Loads of differnet brand names, essentially a cheap laptop, often designed to be as cheap as possible, battery life and video performance won't be great, but if you just need a box that you plugin in a couple of locations to do computer stuff probably fine!

2 Brand Name Laptop - Eg Toshiba, Sony, Dell... Dearer, but usually better made and supported (drivers for new OS's etc). Usually well designed with modular bays or small size. Wide range of accessories often available (if you get a dell CPx or LS I can get you a docking station and spare battery very cheaply if you want!). Battery life is usually good and power management is properly supported usually!

So laptop for use in house/office - just buy a cheap one if budget is tight.

Laptop used when travelling, spend more and get a brand name!

One thing I would say is that you are spendign say £1200 you are better off buying a lower spec tosh/sony/dell with plenty of RAM than a fully loaded generic laptop.

Jon