Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any Mac Gurus out there?

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2001, 09:46 PM
chrisnobbs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

If so can you solve this for me. Often I try to click on a web page link in IE5 before the rest of the page has downloaded (e.g. click on a Scoobynet forum before the banner add completes) with the result at least 50% of the time that IE locks up and the only way out is a total reboot. Any ideas, have I just set preferences in IE wrong?
Old 03 June 2001, 10:39 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Markus or RichB are your best bet as they are more techie than me. I;'ve had a few problem myself. I'm now running OS 9.1 which seems more relaible and I've allocated 128Mb of RAM to internet explorer which seems to have made things better. Still a bit flaky from time to time though

AllanB
Old 04 June 2001, 09:08 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

IE is a bit flakey, what OS are you running? Would recommend 8.6.1 or 9.1. Won't be a prefs problem as last time I checked there was no option to force IE to crash upon impatient link click
When it 'locks up' does the mouse still move? If so then instead of a reboot try holding down command+option and hitting escape, then force quit IE then try doing a reboot from the special menu, its a little cleaner than the plug out the back type reboot.
If you are running the 8.6.1 or 9.1 then another hopefull option would be to give IE more memory, select the IE application and choose get info from the file menu, click on the popup and select memory(if running a newish OS) and add increase the number in the bottom box by a couple of thousand.

Not much help really but I am using IE5 and 9.0.4 and haven't had any problems like the one you are experiencing.....

Allans 128mb for IE is a bit extreme though IE5s default is about 20mb anyway which really should be enough.... Damn those ineffient memory hungry Microsoft *&&£*@^^4!
Old 04 June 2001, 10:15 AM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would try turning off virtual memory.
Old 04 June 2001, 10:42 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

<I>and as if my magic, a Mac Guru appears</I>

did someone mention my name!

seems like Rich has beaten me to it, tsk, what kinda apple guru am I

Chris,
I've not heard of this problem, not even with our security software running.

OK, as with all support issues, need more info:

What type of machine are you using?

What version of the Mac OS are you running?

How much memory is allocated to IE5?

How much memory does the machine have?

How much memory is free whilst IE is running?

Bear in mind that IE does seem to totally ignore it's set memory partition and grab as much as it need to display the pages you have, thus if there is not much free memory left then this could cause a crash. So if you had other apps open and running and then use IE this might be the cause.

Might also be worth running disk first aid/norton/techtool pro over your disk just to make sure all is well. Who knows it might even be a slightly corrupted copy of IE, so a reinstall of just the IE application might be worth a try.

Worst case scenario, go and use Netscape. To be honest I only use IE because of the nice auto complete and the pageholder option, sometimes, due to some sites designs, I have to use Netscape.

hope
Old 04 June 2001, 11:17 AM
chrisnobbs
Scooby Regular

Cool

It's a 7600 running a 266Mhz G3, 80 meg RAM, OS8.1. I have not upgraded beyond 8.1 sinve upgrading 7.6 to 8.1 did horrible things to the rest of my system.Perhaps I should just bite the bullet? Is 80 meg enough for OS9/9.1?
Old 04 June 2001, 01:50 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

80mb should be fine, I'm running 9.1 on a 64bm G3 and it's fine, in fact the G3 is running OS X client, and on another partition OS X Server 2, as well, OK it might not be fast but it does run.

If you really don't want to go to 9.x then you want to at least get onto 8.6, as this is better than 8.1

Problem with going straight to 9.1 is that older versions of apps may break under 9.1.

All I will say is, whatever you do, back up the entire machine before doing any upgrade, thus if any problems do occur you've got the original setup to go back to.