Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Advice re Dog Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2003, 10:59 AM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adopted a dog a week ago. He's about 1 year old. Rottweiller/Labrador Cross. Big dog already. He was a stray who was caught by dog catcher and taken to kennels.

Anyway, the problem i've got is that he keeps crapping in my sons bedroom. I keep the doors upstairs shut but he's managed to get in twice now. He's also peed in the bathroom, up the side of the toilet. He constantly whinges and whines. I don't know what to do.

He's quite a good dog really but the toilet thing is starting to annoy me. He gets 3 long walks a day and is constantly in and out of the back garden, he also got a huge selection of toys and bones.

Also, he keeps throwing up. It's like he's got some kind of gag reflex. Alot of the time he just ends up burping but sometimes it full on up chuck!

Could all this be due to the change in environment?!

I really appreciate it if anyone who knows about dogs and could give me a bit of advice!
Old 03 February 2003, 11:04 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Does the dog do this when you are there? Or when you've been out and you've come back to it?

If the latter, could be an attention thing. Some some program on TV about a similar thing and I know it sounds bizarre, but dogs can miss owners so much they tear things up, crap all over the place, and do generally unpleasant things. They can be trained not to do it as well (fortunately).

No experience in this, just something I saw once
Old 03 February 2003, 11:07 AM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
He does it when we are there. When we are out, he as good as gold. No mess, no chewing and no whining ( i know about the whining cause I have spoken to my neighbours who haven't heard a peep from him). He's a nightmare.
Old 03 February 2003, 11:10 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

Get a baby gate @ the bottom of the stairs. This will isolate him to downstairs and will help keep an eye on him.
Put him out right after feeding and wait until he has 'done his duty' before you let him in.
Try asking on http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/....might help ?

Old 03 February 2003, 11:15 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

Has he got a bed or crate?

Sounds like he is marking his new territory ??
Give him an area of his own. A crate (if big enough) is the answer as it will keep him safe while you are out and he will not (or tend not to) mess within close proximity to an area in which he will sleep.
Old 03 February 2003, 11:15 AM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Brilliant. Thanks
Old 03 February 2003, 11:18 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Could be epaleptic(sp?), thats what was up with my sisters dog of the Heinz variety. See the Vet.
Old 03 February 2003, 11:21 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

would deffo go to the vet with the yacking up thing.
Has he been used to bones before? Are the bones raw, cooked, roasted ??
Old 03 February 2003, 11:22 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Red - he's probably trying to establish himself within the pack - ie your family.

Its important that he knows where he fits in - and it has to be at the bottom. There are also issues that he has to face in a new home. He may be ill, so might be worth getting a Vet to take a look.

If he is ok, messing and scenting are usually just dogs trying to asset themselves in the pack.

It will take a while, but you need to adopt some pack ranking techniques. This is a guide, but by no means the definative list.

1) ALWAYS eat before your dog - the whole family that is. If the dog gets fed before your meal times, you need to gesture eat. When setting the dogs food out, before you put it down everyone in the house should have something, no matter how small, to eat first. Make a show of it, so he knows he gets to eat last.

Its easier if you simply feed him last, after all meal times.

2) Always go through doorways, up stairs, first.
3) Always instigate play - don't take him on (and this is especially relevant to your son) if he comes up with a toy. Just ignore him.
4) Always ignore him for 5 minutes when you come home.
5) If he does something bad, ignore him and separate him from the rest of the "pack". Shouting at him will be taken as a "reward" for the behavior.

6) When he does what he should outside (as opposed to the bedroom) make a fus, and reward him with a dry dog biscuit or treat.

7) No treats, or scraps of food from the table. Nothing between mealtimes unless he has deserved a reward for good behavior.

Lastly, NEVER let you son share food with him.

Hopefully this will help.

D

Old 03 February 2003, 12:01 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone. The Rotweller link has been informative as well. The whinging is a trait of Rotty's...... Well grumbling is and I reckon his a variation on it (labrador whining!!) Alot of the feeding and playing techniques we are doing at the moment. I do fuss him alot but don't treat him like a child like some people do with their pets.

I will get him to the vets anyway cause he's gotta get his nuts cut!! (Ouch, poor thing!)
Old 03 February 2003, 12:07 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Nice. Come home with us little doggie welcome to your new home mate right OFF WITH YOUR NUTTS

Expect more **** and p!ss just out of spite
Old 03 February 2003, 12:15 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

He's only 1 and he's gone through a lot just recently, so is more than likely feeling confused, upset and out of sorts.

Take him to a vets urgently re the defecating and vomiting as the latter will cause him to dehydrate and he may then get infections.

Good advice already given. If he's only doing it when you're around, he's basically saying "Look at me, pay me attention", like any child... Even getting told off is a form of attention.

When our dog used to misbehave, he was put on his bed and the kitchen door shut. We would leave him totally alone for 10 minutes or so, dependant upon what he did and then allow him back into the "pack".

When feeding, if necessary, shut him out of the kitchen / dining room so that you are not tempted to just "give him this little bit" or whatever. After you have eaten, allow him back in and then feed him.

If you've only had him a week, he's still settling in...
Old 03 February 2003, 12:18 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Also, the fact that it's your son's bedroom in which he is messing is also significant. Your son obviously gets a lot of attention lavished on him, with which the dog is trying to compete. He can't understand why Son gets attention and he doesn't...

Sometimes, setting the dog on his bed and then sitting on it with him for 5 or 10 minutes just quietly stroking him and reassuring him that all is well can work wonders.
Old 03 February 2003, 12:18 PM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

lol @ PG
Old 03 February 2003, 01:01 PM
AliWrx
Scooby Regular

You need and your dog need the following.

1) A trip to the vets to make sure all is well, for the dog that is.

2) A Crate for him/her to sleep in.

3) A Copy of The Dog Listener

4) Lots of patience and perseverence.

Its not easy, but in the coming weeks / months it will all be worth it.
Good Luck
Ali
Still training 15 week old boxer
Old 03 February 2003, 01:04 PM
AliWrx
Scooby Regular

Oh yeah and don't forget you can always email Paul with your questions.
He is very helpfull!

Old 03 February 2003, 01:40 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Paul who?!
Old 03 February 2003, 01:47 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

having had loads of English Bull Terriers over the years i have now discovered the secret to living with big dogs....dont!

i now have 3 lurchers which are 100 times easier to live with. they dont get ill, they have no genetic defaults and you have no issues with the dog either liking to eat children or looking like it likes to (which is just as bad)

as for diabalos "rules"

1) ALWAYS eat before your dog...my dogs eat when they are fed, whether this is before, after or at the same time as me wont send them running to Oprah with "issues"

2) Always go through doorways, up stairs, first.........the dogs sleep all day in their bed (after a run) so i few problems with meeting them on a busy corridor around the house!

3) Always instigate play......they dont play.

4) Always ignore him for 5 minutes when you come home.......easy enough, they wont come and see me for 2 hrs anyway.

5) If he does something bad, ignore him and separate him from the rest of the "pack"........sod that, one does something bad they all get a kick...im an trying to instal team responsibility into them!

7) No treats, or scraps of food from the table...... they only eat dog food, wouldnt eat a human biscuit,crisp or snack even you waved it under their nose.

in short.....while i loved the big nasty dogs i would never bother again.

T

ps- as an aside,if we closed down puppy farms, limited breeders to a quota of dogs a year, put down EVERY stray after 7 days and put a dog licence fee in place it would save the RSPCA a lot of work.
Old 03 February 2003, 01:48 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Thanks Ali

How is Max ?

Kobe our youngest boxer has just recovered from meningitis So I am now an expert on doggie meningitis too

Paul
Old 03 February 2003, 01:57 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Aha! That Paul!! Thank you. I know of a few on here!!!
Old 03 February 2003, 01:57 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Old 03 February 2003, 02:04 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Tiggs,

Not "my" rules, but accepted as being the way to a happy co-existence with humans, as advocated by Jan Fennell (acknowledged expert) and many others.

Its a shame you had to use this thread to have a dig . Its not even as if you posted anything remotely worthwhile.

As you have no experience of Rotties or Rottie crosses, or anything remotely close, why bother?

A lurcher that doesn't understand its place is a whole different issue to something weighing upwards of 5 to 10 stone with a breed trait of trying to be pack leader.

And if you took your "couldn't care" attitude with the Bull terriers, no wonder you had your problems. No wonder your dogs don't come near you.

Red_dog - let us who care know how you get on

D
Old 03 February 2003, 02:54 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Hi m8
Agree with Diablo.
Ours was a rescue at 1 year old (French Mastiff). and used to chuck up when we first got him. Seemed to happen after a drink when he would belch and up it would come. Got him checked out by vet and decided it was a nervous problem. Sorted after about a month but the first couple of times we put him into kennels he chucked up again there. Although big and tough was actually really nervous with new environments.
Don't know about cr4pping in the house though as did not have that problem.
Quickest way to establish rank is to make him sit and put a biscuit on the carpet in front of him but don't let him touch it. Then pick it up and give to him along with praise. Repeat this a few times and he'll realise who is in charge very quickly. Worked with mine.
Good luck
Alasdair
Old 03 February 2003, 03:21 PM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

Wink

I think Dogs and Kids don't go together personally
They need alot of attention (far more than many people realise)
I've got a dog, a Cat (just lost another to old age) and a Pony (Daughters).
in terms of hassle

1)Kids (x2) 100%
2)Dog 80%
3)Horse 40%
4)Cat 10%

I would rather have the Horses anyday over a Dog

Ash

Old 03 February 2003, 03:32 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Wish I could afford a horse!!! Thanks Diablo. It's nice to know that there are some sensible peeps on here! I'm going to try some of things suggested and see what happens. I also think the vomiting is probably a nervous reaction as it sounds just like Alas's dog's problem. I'll go and have him checked anyway.

Went home at lunch time to let Trev (dog) out and found that he had raided the washing machine for dirty laundry and piled it in his bed and was sleeping with it!! He really is a mad dog!

Hope we can sort him out soon. Mind you, we are moving in a couple of months, so it'll probably start all over again
Old 03 February 2003, 03:33 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Good comments here - hope it helps. The logic does seem to be these days that separation and ignoring is better than a smack or rubbing the nose in it... Mine does get a tiny smack if I catch him doing it off the paper though - he so knows its wrong!!!

Diablo

Your comments are great re making yourself the only Alpha male in the house!

I really dont get the 'ignore him' one though. When I return home I get a great welcome from him, and he's so happy to see me. This would seem a bit submissive behaviour, as he makes far more of a fuss than I do! Its part of the fun of a dog fopr me - that OTT WELCOME HOME!!!!!!!!

D

(10 week old OES)
Old 03 February 2003, 08:04 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

I really dont get the 'ignore him' one though
It will make the dog realise that you will pay attention to them when they are nice and calm instead of seemingly rewarding him for being all jumppy and licky only encouraging the behaviour. AFAIK

My dogs do not get attention from me until the calm down, sit down and give me a paw
My GF gets no attention from me until my tea is on the table and my slippers are brought to me
Old 03 February 2003, 10:23 PM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

Smile

Wish I could afford a horse!!!
She does cost money Red,
In the winter, its about £75 per month.
In the summer, its about £50 per month.
All in to include grazing, bagged feed and hay in the winter,
and in the summer, to include shoeing (they only need trimming in the winter), Insurance is included with this as well.

Riding lessons are about £15 per hour around this way and my other half rides as well, so its favourable. Its primarily to keep her (my 12 year old daughter) off the streets (getting into trouble) and its working.
The difference is if she loses interest in the Horse, its going, no question, the attachment isn't like owning a dog.

We see to her twice a day 7 days a week at the moment so it is responsiblity, but still less hassle than a dog.
Old 04 February 2003, 09:53 AM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

I used to love horse riding but I just don't have the time now! My son is scared of horses and my other half hates them so looks like a hobby to be taken up in the future (so I can escape them!!!)

Started to ignore the dog. Make him be calm, sit and give a paw before going out, getting a fuss etc. He looked really shocked! Breaking point for us last night was that I gave him a roast bone, which he loved and I was pleased. He sat quietly in the doorway eating it (heaven for us!!!) My son walked past and he growlled and showed his teeth. He did the same to all of us so we took his bone away, put it in the bin and made him stay in his bed all night ignoring him. Think he suddenly realised that he's taken the p*ss once too often.

Tried taking the p*ss with me this morning by not coming in from the garden when called. When he did eventually come in,made him get in his bed. Didn't fuss him, no treat like he usually gets. He looked well and truly sorry for himself when I left him!!!
Old 04 February 2003, 10:30 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

LOL @ PG I get the same kind of OTT reception from the g/f when I get home - all over me and shakin' that ****! Took an awful lot of hard work and training though!

Quick Reply: Advice re Dog Needed!