Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Doberman or Rottweiller???

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2001, 07:56 PM
CRAFT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

We're planning on getting a dog in june, has anybody had experience in owning any of the above. I've had dogs most of my life all border collies so I'am aware of what we are taking on. we have read books etc on both breeds, but looking at getting insight from owners of the breeds etc. We don't have kids(except me) but see nephews regulary.
Are there any message boards etc that anyone knows. Hope someone can help!

be good....
CRAFT
Old 17 May 2001, 08:24 PM
Jack Macfarlane
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

A Rottie every time. But.... They are a bit headstrong and discipline doesn't come naturally. Very much a case of it suits him he'll do it, if you don't keep him in check. Any relaxing seems to be taken as a signal to go into please yourself mode. Excellent with kids (no jokes, please) but can get a bit over enthusiastic, 7 stone of over zealous muscle can scatter the kids like 9 pins. Always be prepared for the "not one of those" reactions. The Omen movies and tabloids have done them no favours. All in all an excellent dog that is quick to learn but a bit hard to keep consistent.

Jack
Old 17 May 2001, 10:47 PM
SteveH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Have you thought about a Great Dane?

Great temperment, more like a human than a dog, don't need lots of exercise or a lot of room.

We have a Blue, looks like a large Weimarner, if you want any info email me offline

Cheers
Steve
Old 17 May 2001, 11:28 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Freind of mines got a Rottie cross Great Dane, lovely dog soft as

Si
Ps Rottie always
Old 17 May 2001, 11:43 PM
Tom Evans
Scooby Regular

Hi Craft,

Always wanted a dobermann myself (unfortunately stuck with our border collie ) and have a couple of books on them.

First thing I'd say is that I prefer the more athletic look of the Dobe - sleeker, etc. Rotties are too heavily built for my liking and consequently scare me.

In my books it says that Dobes can make very good family pets, even with small children, but they MUST be trained from a very early age, otherwise they will do as they please.

My mum's dad used to have one (Dobermann) when she was about 10. It was a show dog that a friend couldn't cope with and so gave it to her dad. She said that it looked fantastic, but was bloody strong. Unfortunately, her dad was a p***k and thought it funny to give her the lead and tell the dog to run . Her reason for not wanting me to get one, but as soon as I move out...

Personally I'd go for a Dobermann every time.

Cheers,
Tom

P.S. Don't forget that a Dobermann has Rottweiler in the blood. Louis Dobermann crossed a Rottie with a German Pinscher, amongst other less known breeds.
Old 18 May 2001, 12:42 AM
Alan Partridge
Scooby Newbie

[This message has been edited by Alan Partridge (edited 18 May 2001).]
Old 18 May 2001, 12:43 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Both types are wonderful dogs, as many have said, the press have painted a picture that they are vicious killers. Well, any dog can be, if you treat it in a way where it'll react violently.

Good to see you're reading about the breeds, this is a good thing.

My partner has a Weimaraner (dog used by Watchdog) and many people have got them because they think 'oh what a lovely grey doggie, it looks so cute' and do not realise what they are taking on. A weim is a gundog and requires massive amounts of excercise, and a lot of love and attention. When reading books about them before we got the dog we thought comments such as 'you'll never go to the toilet alone' were jokes, but it is true, it's like having a four legged shadow.

They're also very, very willful, you can see maggie watching you and thinking 'what am I going to get out of doing what you say?'

As I said, you look like you're doing your research which is a sign of a responsible owner!

Would I have another weim? umm, well, it's not my choice and my partner has decided that she want's at *least* one more wiem, as they can keep each other company
Old 18 May 2001, 09:36 AM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've got 3 pedigree Golden Retreivers, oldest is 11 in August, then 10 on Boxing Day, and youngest was 3 on Easter Saturday. They are all big (6 1/2 stone plus) and very strong and do have a mind of their own. All dogs however big or small will only be as good as you train them, and as Jack says some are a bit more headstrong than others. All 3 of mine have been to training classes and the eldest two hold show champion certificates so need to know how to behave when in a ring. Also good to introduce them to people and surroundings they need to become familiar with in your area as soon as possible, helps them to settle in.

Best bet is to contact the kennel club in London and ask for a list of local breeders of Rottweilers and Dobermans. That way you can see the parents and how the dogs have been brought up, also how they are with you when you first meet them as a group of puppies. The down side is that you WILL want to buy one as they are rather cute (did I really say that ) and when you sit in a pound with a group of 7-8 week old bundles of energy you take a shine to them immediately

Take your time when you choose and you will not be dissappointed

My youngest cost me £550 as a puppy because of his breeding line and the fact his father is a working gun dog champion, so be prepared to fork out a bit of dosh up front. You should also find the puppy is insured by the breeder when you pick it up and you will be contacted by the insurance company to ask if you want the policy to continue. This is the best money you can spend on a dog as it guarantees it the best vet cover available and also protects your wallet My vet uses a 5 door WRX as his work car and had a TVR Tamora on order so as you can see his fees are rather toppy

Hope you get what you want

Yex
Old 18 May 2001, 10:16 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Rhodesian Ridgeback.

Ro.
Old 18 May 2001, 10:26 AM
RAZZ
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

Absolutely fantastic dog, loves kids, protective, loyal, doesn't need a lot of grooming, don't eat like pigs, happy to be taken out once a day and look the business.
Only problem is they hate any other dogs so you have to be careful.
Old 18 May 2001, 11:31 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

My third (and most recent dog) was a half Corgi/half bushdog.

We found him (and his littermates) in a hole in the ground. I was living in Nigeria at the time.

Old 18 May 2001, 12:44 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Our first dog was a dobermann. I was age 2 when I met her and I loved her. Then she had 13 (count 'em) pups. One died but that still left 12. I was in dog heaven.

Very intelligent and brave dog. Great with kids - when I (aged 4) decided to bathe the 12 pups in a bucket and nearly drowned the lot, she went and got my mother.

Old 18 May 2001, 01:39 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Cool

Be careful Markus, mine started along that track and now I've got 3

Yex
Old 18 May 2001, 06:03 PM
PAUL GEE
Scooby Regular

Dobermans get my vote.
As mentioned above they are much more athletic and elegant, and very nearly as strong and brave should push come to shove!.
I've got a thirteen year old daughter and an eight year old son and my 'two' Dobes are brilliant with them. Incredibly intelligent and gentle if looked after properly.
I'm lucky that I live near open moor land so exercising them is really easy (well, it was before foot and mouth!). If you enjoy walking as I do, you could walk for miles with the Doberman, not so sure the heavier Rotte would be so happy with longer distances.
I'm sure you wouldn't go far wrong with either breed.
Regards Paul.
Old 18 May 2001, 07:25 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Exactly why do you want the dog? Guard, pet, (image?) And exactly what circumstances will you introduce the dog to? (amount of exercise, no. of visitors, young kids etc)

We had 3 weimaraners (though one only for 6 weeks - rescue dog, killed our cat) and love em, totally agree with Markus. And Mum went to live with some guy who had 2 rotties for 4 yrs. I got the impression talking to her (remember she was introduced to the house, not they) that they were a) superior, including biting her a couple of times, and b) a bit thick. I have no experience of Dobes.

For heaven's sake see the parents though. Saw one Weim breeder, wouldn't go back there!

BJH
Old 18 May 2001, 07:45 PM
Tom Evans
Scooby Regular

Just thought I'd say again, Dobermann - you know it makes sense.

Seriously though, make sure they are KC registered and insured. BOTH are a MUST. Dobermanns (and I think Rotties) are susceptible to hip problems, especially when older.

When I want to see a Dobe I have to go to a pub in Ross-on-Wye. No-one I know has one

Cheers,
Tom
Old 18 May 2001, 10:57 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

I have grown up with many dogs and have had 2 Rottweillers. The 2 had very different temperaments, but were both excellent dogs ( still have Max). The first one was an absolute joy from born. Excellent with us, didn't crave attention, but very keen protective instincts over us. Not that it was bad though, for example. When freinds/strangers were in the house without any of the family in sight of the dog, if they tried going upstairs etc without one us, he would securely latch onto the back of their leg until one of us came along (honest to god). We didn't train him for any of this, he just did it naturally. Never hurt any of them and everyone that we knew loved him to bits. Very relaxed attitude to everything. Got me out of trouble once or twice too. Animals/humans alike knew that he was boss
really hurt to lose him, unlike any of the other dogs we had.

Max is a different matter.....
Bigger, 10 stone approx, bounds around like a nutter wants to love everyone to death after getting to know them, we have to separate him from visitors as he is too big to be jumping up all over people. Very good at watching over what is going on in the outside world. Practically lives by the front door, hates the milkman and postie and the bark and growl that come from this mutt keeps oiks away from my scoob and off the drive.
Like most dogs, they need good exercise, otherwise they can get flabby easily.

Ridgebacks are lovely too, but I find their temperament to be a little volatile compared with rotties..... I feel that I can comment as my close relatives have had nothing but these and I have a lovely scar on my arm from where one 'hunted' me (I was 6'3 and 14 at the time). Just other little things as well that make me feel more comfortable with rotties, but again lovely dogs.

Just be aware, at least in our case that these dogs do a lot of their communicating through growls, Happiness anger etc, you can easily tell what is going on, eg getting growling when rubbing their tummy, scratching their rump when on their backs is all quite normal.

Anyway.......

Cheers,

Nick
Old 19 May 2001, 07:01 AM
CRAFT
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers for the replies, some good pointers and advice. We've always discussed getting another dog since mine passed away with old age, but the time never seemed right. Ever since I was a kid I've always wanted a Doberman as there was one locally which was such a great dog, so looking into different breeds we came up with the short list of the above.
We did look at Great Danes and Mastiffs, but to be honest our house is to small, and our friend has a Dane which is huge and has dropped me a couple of times, and the temptation of getting a Dane and calling it scooby-doo would be too great
Exersise is not a problem as we live across from a park and on the edge of the countryside. Another friend has a rottie and the only advice he gave me that swayed to the a rottie was they grow up quicker, and doberman are sill pups for 18 months.
We knew it would'nt be easy so we won't rush it!
Again, many thanks...

be good..
CRAFT
Old 19 May 2001, 11:00 AM
barge
Scooby Regular

I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback & a Golden Labrador [my dizzy blonde] both built like tanks & strong a OX's.

A dog is an animal, teach it, train it and it will be a wonderful & faithful pet, My kids, 8,5 & 2 love them and all ways play with them not 1 hint of a problem, they are both very protective of the kids & wife, I think they think I can look after meself.

Even if you have a little dog it can still bite.

Get what you want & are happy with, join a club before getting them to meet other owners.
Old 20 May 2001, 11:43 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

I remember the first Rhodesian Ridgeback I ever saw.

He belonged to my Karate teacher (when I was at school) and my first thought was that he was some kind of mutant (like my teacher).

Turned out to be a very nice dog
Old 21 May 2001, 09:58 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Agree with Brendan with regards to 'why do you want it?' many people have recently got wiems due to Watchdog using them, they think 'awww, how cute!' but have no idea of how much work they take. weims and I guess rotties and dobermans are not a 9 - 5 dog, ie; you can't bugger off and just leave them alone.

The whole watchdog thing really narks me off, they will not make any statement that the dogs they use are not easy to look after and are not like a labradour, who's quite happy to just chill out, weims are not like it, full stop. I've emailed the bbc a few times, asking for a simple statement to the nation, hey they look into consumer problems, so surely causing a dog to be purchased on looks would be worth looking into.

Oh, btw Brendan, care to email me with the name of the breeder? just curious as we might be getting another wiem, and if you've had probs with one breeder we'd be intertested to know the reasons.
Old 21 May 2001, 10:43 AM
SuzyQ
Scooby Regular

Hiya I would have to say why do you want the dog?they are both great breeds if handled by caring ppl,but in the wrong hands can be nasty,you also need to think are you likey to have children in the next 10-15 years if so how would the dog react to that?!one jealous rotty or dob your child/baby could lose its life!you say your house is not that big ,both these dogs are more active than a dane in my opinion,have you thought about a grey hound?Markus laughed at me when i told him they love nothing more than to lie around and be pampered!!!
you say walking it would not be a problem but picture this,it's january and its rainning and the wind is bitterly cold,would you still be happy having to go out twice that day for an hour each time??
i suggest you think long and hard before getting any kind of dog,but if you go for a pedigree it's a must to see the parents,re-homing is rewarding too tho,you will probably find out that the rotty society or dob society will have info on dogs needing re-homing,i know that there are alot of weims needing re-homing,im sure other breeds are the same.
(oh and trust me you will notice the difference from border collies to rotties and dob's)!!!!
good luck in your chioce and your hunt for the right dog for you
Old 22 May 2001, 07:50 AM
CRAFT
Scooby Regular

Talking

When I say our house is too small I don't mean wendy house size it's just not big enough for a dane to be bounding around in, as danes are around a foot taller and longer
than both breeds. I'm not bothered about going out in the bad weather, and the cold doesn't affect me as I work in a very cold environment. Now image' thats an interesting
one, as I've mentioned, we've looked at numerous large breeds and coming to the conclusion of the 2 above, I wanted a good pet and a good guard dog and a companion for the wife when I'm not in the house. The first dog I had was easily as large as doberman so looking after a large breed is something that
we feel we're capable of. I can appreciate your concerns, but as I said before we're seriously thinking about it and not just going out and buying one on a whim!

Cheers again...

be good..
CRAFT