TCP/IP Settings

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2001, 07:33 PM
Prisoner
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi

I know there was a thread about this a few weeks ago but i cannot find it.. sorry

Any way:

I have my 2 PC's next to each other, Internet connection sharing in Win2k.

Can anyone give me some TCP/IP settings that will work.

At the moment i have them set up like this:

<B>PC1</B> <I>HOST</I>

IP: 192.168.0.1
subnet: 255.255.255.0
default gateway : . . . [blank]

DNS (What is this?) : Enabled

Preferred server : [blank]
alternate: [blank]

<B>PC2</B> <I>CLIENT</I>

Obtain Ip automatically enabled

DNS (What is this?) : Enabled

Preferred server : [blank]
alternate: [blank]

If this makes sense Can anyone help? I can email you offline if you can

Cheers

Prisoner
Old 17 May 2001, 09:02 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Prisoner

I'll see what I can do

First question is - have you managed to connect to the Internet with either machine yet?

Couple of explanations for you: DNS = Domain Name Server. This what converts 'www.website.com' into the IP address. Normally when you connect to an ISP, they will provide the address of a DNS and they will also provide the IP address for your PC(s) (using DHCP - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol).

Bearing this in mind, you normally find that the default settings of Windows will work. Having one machine configured with a static address (192.168.0.1) and the other machine setup to obtain an address automatically (via DHCP) will not normally work, unless your host machine has been setup as a DHCP server and given a pool of addresses to hand out to clients.

I haven't done a lot with W2K network sharing on a dial-up link (I'm assuming that is what you have got). It might be worth having a search on the Microsoft site, as they should have some example setups on there. It is also worth checking at
Old 18 May 2001, 08:14 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Prisoner,

Internet Connection Sharing (under W2K)should be enabled on the PC connected to the Internet (but NOT on the "client" PC).

The client should be set to "Obtain and Address Automatically". On, say, a corporate network, the client will ask a DHCP server for an address, but on your "mini-network", the PC with ICS will act like a DHCP server and provide an address in the range (i think, but you don't need to know) 192.168.*.*

In theory, it should all work

mb (currently on the middle of a W2K bootcamp!)
Old 18 May 2001, 09:53 AM
Mkhan
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Hi Prisoner

How are you? So you are setting up a home network and you want your second machine to access the internet via your first...

Ok first before you try and get internet access can you see both machines on your network via "Network Neighborhood"? Because if you cannot you will not beable to get internet access from your Host machine.

So...

1) In your Network Properties on both machines you must have different computer names ie. Host for machine 1 and client1 for machine 2 and client2 for machine 3 etc.

2) in Workgroup you must have the same workgroup name ie. home or anything you want really but they both must be the same..

3) TCP/IP Settings you said that your Host machine has already got 192.168.0.1 which was given to you automatically by Windows when you selected internet sharing.

so on your client1 machine the TCP/IP setting must be 192.168.0.2 and the same Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 then in the Gateway you must put 192.168.0.1.

If you have a third machine then that will be 192.168.0.3 etc..

Now you should be able to browse each machine via Network Neighborhood.. remember if you wish to access harddrives or CD Rom's etc from the Host machine you must also enable "File and Print Sharing"

Now that should be it...

When you open your browser on the client machine you should see that Host will start dialing your ISP if it is not already connected..

If this is still not working first thing to do is make sure that each machine can "Ping" one another. To do this just click on "Start" then "Run" type in ping 192.168.0.1 on the client machine and then you should get a response..then on the Host machine type ping 192.168.0.2..

If you can ping each machine then check the settings on your browser (on your client machine) to ensure that you have selected it to go out via "LAN" not dialup..

Thats it job done......

If you have any problems please send me a mail...

I have a W2K at home and 3 machines sharing its internet access although I use DHCP via a Novell server

Good Luck

Mark

[This message has been edited by Mkhan (edited 18 May 2001).]