Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Nintendo GameCube - I think its gonna be big!

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2001, 05:16 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reports are already starting to come in about the new Nintendo GameCube.

I've got a feeling that next weeks e3 trade show in LA will reveal some great stuff.

Could be Nintendo shows Sony how to launch a console properly with some AAA titles to boot.

Old 10 May 2001, 05:57 PM
mixit
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Naaaaaaaaar m8.... Intendto... er. sorry.. Nintendo are never gonna grasp the concept of not ripping off the West ! It'll cost about £1.50, have a wide range of peripherals, a funky looking case and designer logo, some terific marketing.... er.... what else...... er..... Oh.. yes, I know.... "1" game involving the cute exploits of 1 To55ipo the plumber. There, that should do it ! .....
Check please !
Old 10 May 2001, 06:02 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Mixit, you mark my words - come next Thursday (E3 trade show) you'll be on your knees, boy!

-DV
Old 11 May 2001, 12:21 AM
mixit
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mmmmmm on my knee's eh ?
And this from someone who likes the world of bug eyed girls and "jumpy, jumpy"
Old 11 May 2001, 11:53 AM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Smile

X Box, X Box, X Box - and so on, mmmmm X Box. Looking forward to it. Got a Snes, still like it. PS2 poo

Extinguishers and sand buckets standing by.

P.
Old 11 May 2001, 02:48 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Bend over Mixit - ITS POKER TIME!!
Old 11 May 2001, 02:54 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Sith,

X-Box - can't knock its technical specs but who's writing the games for it ? Crappy PC Programmers. Great if you like Unreal and Quake like I DONT.

Make no mistake, the Japanese write all the best games and they don't seem to be interested, contrary to what Microsoft would have you believe.

Don't get me started on the dodgy looking controller pads.

Sheesh!

Trending Topics

Old 11 May 2001, 03:29 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Consoles are for kids, PC games will always rule the roost. The consoles are just catching up with PC games from 2 years ago.

My PC is already much higher spec than the X box that aint out yet!

robski
Old 11 May 2001, 03:37 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Robski

Totally disagree with everything you've said.

And if you think your GeForce 3 and 1GB of RAM and P4 1.5Ghz will outstrip the X-Box, guess again. For a start it uses a modified GeForce 3 with extra effects, unified memory architecture and stuff you won't see til next spring, way after the GeForce3 Ultra in Autumn this year.

[This message has been edited by DazV (edited 11 May 2001).]
Old 11 May 2001, 03:57 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Angry

DazV,

your talking bollix.

Look properly at the specs of the Xbox, the one advantage its got is that its using a very light OS version, but thats it. You are obviously not up with current PC technology, plus its amazing how much you can boost a PC with overclocking and running components at optimum rates etc.

Ive been using top end PC stuff for a long time, and despite the marketing hype, the new features of graphics cards and to some extent processors dont normally make it into real games until the hardware is already out of date anyway. Just look at the last great development in graphics technology T&L, only just starting to take off over 1 year after being supported by the market leader. For processor look at the P4 its not much faster by todays standards, again you need the next version of OS to really get the benefits.

Plus most of the consoles games are for kids. Just look at them, not really adult orientated are they.

robski

Old 11 May 2001, 04:10 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Didn't mean to start the Spanish inquisition - I was just pulling Mixit's leg about X-Box, hehe!

Robski,

You can't see the wood from the trees mate. How can I explain this in a way you'll understamd...

Your CPU and Memory on your PC may well be fast but it underpinned by a pretty inefficient bus architecture. Add your sound card into the picture and they're all fighting for use of your CPU.

X-Box, PS2, Dreamcast don't have those problems. To suggest your PC is superior becuase of it higher specs like RAM and CPU is just naive. The PS2 only has a tiny ammount of ram compared to PC users, but it'll run rings round your rig.

Do you understand ?

Old 11 May 2001, 04:28 PM
mixit
Scooby Regular

Cool

DazV is in a right ol stew now
I never even mentioned the X-Pox !

Robski, I agree with every word, have just jumped to a P4 1.5 ( not much point ,I know, at the mo ) but hey!, I'm in the industry. The PC will always be a jump ahead of the game ( literaly ). Oooh.. anyone seen Half life on the PS2..... Nope.. didn't think so! and it's only been out for 2 years ..Also have you seen Grand Prix 3 on the Dreampast...er.... no.. cant say I have mate.. Mmmmm... anyway... I managed to get a grab of the latest graphics from the GamePube... see what ya think..
........ last ones pretty clever as it changes colour!.. I think Intendto are calling it Multipixbuflation.. or summit
Old 11 May 2001, 04:41 PM
mixit
Scooby Regular

Actualy, thinking about it, this is more like your average "Intendto" graphics
....... ........ ......... ........ .......
Old 11 May 2001, 06:00 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

hehe, sorry Mixit, meant Sith.

Mixit is my Bitch, Sith is X-Box fan - must remember that, hehe!

Seriously, I couldn't give a stuff really, so long as I've got Gran Turismo on PS2, LeMans on Dreamcast, Mario & Zelda on GameCube and er, C++ & ASP on my PC (I think most PC games are crap with the odd exception)

I think Robski should take a chill-pill and relax - THANK CRUNCHIE ITS FRIDAY!!!!

And I've just got my Scoob back from servicing. 2 P1's in there they're selling at full list - salesman gave me some patter about there being only 20 P1's left to sell new in the UK. Wonder if thats true ? Hold on thats another forum!

-DV
Old 11 May 2001, 06:05 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Mixit - just thinking I DID buy Grand Prix 3, played it for a day then put it away. As for Half-Life - why waste time on old hat like that when there a ton of other better stuff like Metal Gear Solid.

Besides, the FPS genre is the domain of the PC with mouse and keyboard (yawn!)

Right, off to try my new P-Zero's out.

-DV

Old 11 May 2001, 06:08 PM
mixit
Scooby Regular

Cool

R U using the P zero's as a stand for your PS2 ?
Old 11 May 2001, 10:10 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Smile

Woah, this took off a bit. My faves are F355 Challenge and Soul Caliber (sp) Too lazy to check the box.

On the PC, Project IGI, Soldier of Fortune, Zeus and TOCA 2.

Several of my mates at work are passing on the PS2 to wait for the X-Box. One person that has bought a PS2 is rather dissapointed and may get a DC for all the great affordable games. DC is a bargin and available from WHSmiths for 89.99.
Old 11 May 2001, 11:01 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Sith,

Agree on Dreamcast - I love my Sega ahead of the PS2. I think Playstation will come into its own with the 2nd generation of games, like GT3 and Metal Gear Solid 2. It already has the best football game anywhere in Winning Eleven 5 (jap ps2 version of iss pro evo 2 on psx1)

As for the P-Zero's - can't believe how much grip the car now has. I guess you don't notice the gradual deterioration of your original tires over say 12-18months. I've heard Bridgestone SO2s may be better, but I'm more than happy with mine.

Now I need a new set of wheels. Need a good website that shows lots of scoobs shod in different 17" wheels. Any ideas ?

-DV

Old 11 May 2001, 11:25 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DazV:
<B>X-Box - can't knock its technical specs but who's writing the games for it ? Crappy PC Programmers. Great if you like Unreal and Quake like I DONT.

Make no mistake, the Japanese write all the best games and they don't seem to be interested, contrary to what Microsoft would have you believe.[/quote]

Sega (and all their Japanese programmers) are supporting the X-Box. Sega will be developing games for the X-Box, now that they are out of the hardware business.
Old 11 May 2001, 11:30 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

AWD,

Yeah Sega are, but they've said they're giving it priority behind Nintendo and Sony.

-DV
Old 12 May 2001, 09:26 AM
mixit
Scooby Regular

Cool

DazV.
Hi.... Ribbing over. Glad to hear you like the P.Zero's. I know what you mean about grip. I bought my Scoob just over a month ago and it had Avons (front) & NCT's (rear), all about knackered. Iv'e now got 7x17 Toyo Proxes, and MY GOD!, what a diference in grip levels and handling characteristics. Well impressed. Now this sounds sad, but it worked for me. I trawled the net and found as many Scooby and wheel pics as poss, and then cut n pasted various designs onto a pic of my car.... sounds dodgy, but it worked a treat and gave me a good idea as to what looks good and what doesn't. If you like check the "Pix of my Wagon" thread in the gallery.
P.S I used Paint Shop Pro to do the editing and you can get a real profesional look.
Old 12 May 2001, 09:29 AM
mixit
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Sorry, a bit missleading..... the pix of me Wagon are with the wheels I ended up buying.
Technomagnesio Indianapolis 7 x 17".
Old 12 May 2001, 09:51 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Daz,

My mate got ISS Pro 2 on his PSX. Took it back a week later for FIFA 2001. He said it was total dross. Chap at EB was not supprised as he had already received 5 other copies back for trade in that week!

Glad you like the PZero's. I've still got the Michelin on mine. Much sliding on roundabouts in the wet. My old GSI could drive round it in the wet. That had SO2 front, new Falken 502 on the rear.

P.
Old 13 May 2001, 12:11 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Sith you sure you mean ISS Pro Evo 2 on *Playstation 1* - its the best soccer game I've played for that system. I bloody hate FIFA2001 although I accept it does has its fans.

ISS = soccer game written by Konami Osaka and is crap, but was available from launch on Playstation 2

Winning Eleven 5 = soccer game written by Konami Tokyo and is best soccer game in the world, available on PSX1 & PSX2 (Japan only)

ISS Pro Evo 2 = PAL (European) version of Winning Eleven 5, available on PSX1 (not out for PSX2 til September)

-DV

[This message has been edited by DazV (edited 13 May 2001).]
Old 13 May 2001, 03:57 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

DazV,

Yup, checked EB website. Sure thats the one he hates. Cited uncontrolable, short passing etc. He went into one!

Not a footy fan myself. FPS, beat'em ups and driving are my types. Not too good at Ready to Rumble Round 2 tho. Normally get beaten by human opponents.

P.
Old 13 May 2001, 04:32 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Well I know there's a 50/50 split in people who like FIFA against ISS Pro.

ISS Pro is more for purists / football lovers, against FIFA which is more 'on rails' and 'arcadey'

On another note, I should be picking up Gran Turismo 3 early next month (US version comes out month earlier than PAL version)

-DV

Old 14 May 2001, 03:24 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

DazV,

if youve got decent components in your machine you will be surprised how little CPU is actually used. SbLive has very little impact on CPU, its a CPU in its own right.
Scusey disks are the same. Dont listen to the bollocks, get some decent performance testing software and optimise.

Bus subsystem, take memory bandwidth, mine is now over 50% higher than it should be, I must be doing something wrong then, obviously I dont know how to set a PC up.

A lot of the box shifters dont set PCs up well, they set them up so that the 99% of general population muppets have a 100% stable machine when they sit it next to the radiator and then fill it full of bloatware software.

My old overclocked (and tweaked a tad) system ran Dreamcast games better than a Dreamcast itself.

Still its monday now, and its a bit late to say how crap consoles are, as Im sure the local school kids would want to give me a kicking! for daring to say that Mario is ****e

robski
Old 14 May 2001, 04:47 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Robski, yeah, the likes of Tiny, etc, do set up PCs badly - I usually build my own - PIII 800 o/c to 112 bus, 512MB, 2x15GB U160 SCSI, SBLive, GeForce, Win2k Pro, blah, blah but I only use it for work - I honestly find PC's suffer too much from the OS overhead for playing games - neither crisp response from Joysticks or rock-solid 60fps refresh that I get from a console thats been specifically designed to do that job.

When you mention Mario I sure you mean its 'not your cup of tea' opposed to 'Mario is s****' - after all that makes you sound 12 doesn't it, hehe.

Lets agree to disagree.

Cheers,
Darren
Old 16 May 2001, 08:17 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Daz,

ok

by the way, I would be well pissed of with only 60fps. 120fps at 1280 in UT, its sweeeet!

robski
Old 17 May 2001, 01:57 AM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Hehe, you and your bionic eye-site.

Wish my human eyes could notice difference in motion beyond 60Hz, although 120Hz will make them less sore after a period of time.

What do you do during the vertical blanking period? - I make myself a nice cuppa, thatswhat!

Quick Reply: Nintendo GameCube - I think its gonna be big!