Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

new version of ZoneAlarm flakey?

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2001, 11:51 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Downloaded the latest version of ZoneAlarm the other day (2.6) and it doesn't seem as stable as the last version I had (I think it was either 2,1 or 2.5). Lots of 'True Vector has shut down' messages and the suchlike -- I used to love the old version for being completely unobtrusive.

Anyone else had problems?
Old 05 May 2001, 08:57 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

It seems to have got better since I uninstalled McAfee VirusScan, No mention of McAfee incompatabilities on the website.
Old 05 May 2001, 11:13 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
We don't have any documented problems with Zone alarm that I've seen, but bear in mind that ZA is now attempting much more than it did in previous versions. I'll put money that your Anti-Virus software will run better without Zone Alarm. You'll have to weigh it up.

I'll keep an eye on it and post if I find anything.

Old 05 May 2001, 12:44 PM
SD
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Carl,

I've downloaded my updated a few days ago as well, but have no problems at all. Have you checked out the help on the Zonealarm website? It might be a known issue.

Cheers,

Simon.
Old 05 May 2001, 11:34 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'm running ZA 2.6 on my work laptop (Compaq Armada) using Win95 (I know, pile of cack, but it's the 'corporate build') with Dr Solomon's virusscan. No problems so far, just as stable as the previous version. It does appear that 2.6 is a fairly major upgrade which may account for some of the problems. In my experience it is the AV software that causes the vast amount of these types of conflicts.

I'll let you know if I find any problems with ZA.

Cheers

Chris
Old 13 May 2001, 12:36 AM
DazV
Scooby Regular

I find ZoneAlarm fine, except when booting into Win2k Pro - There's a pause of about 1 minute while ZoneAlarm sorts itself out and my Windows desktop's icons appear.

Small price to pay for a free program that does a good job.

-DV
Old 13 May 2001, 10:20 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have a LAN here sharing a "single user" (ho ho) ADSL connection.

The server that runs the USB modem has the connection shared (std win2k connection sharing) and has zonealarm installed.

1. When first setting up the share it does insist on changing your server IP to a x.x.0.1 address - change it back manually after.

2. I have local security set to low and internet security set to medium.

3. My LAN is setup as 192.168.11.x on a std class C of 255.255.255.0 ie the full range. All my PC's and server have static addresses e.g. 192.168.11.3. The default gateway IP is set to 192.168.11.1 which is the server IP. All PC's have nameserver (DNS) entries set.

Thats it - it works. The fact your client PC's work and you server does not makes me suspect that your server needs to have the gateway set to its own IP address. Otherwise it does not know where to route traffic.

Its a typical MS bodge in that you have a standard TCP/IP stack that expects routing/DNS entries, and the MS auto-dial stuff that kicks off connections.

Drop me an email offlist - lee@siwd.net if you want to chat further.

Trending Topics

Old 13 May 2001, 11:36 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Carl,

I've been forced to uninstall Zonealarm as I have also had problems with the new version - my PC kept "blue screening" (NT W/S 4).

I'm using the Tiny firewall now which also passes the grc tests. It is a very slimline program which assumes you know a little about TCPIP ports though..
Old 13 May 2001, 11:42 AM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Cheers Lee

not up to much on the techie side, but i kinda get the jist of that.. Anyway, i've managed to get Zonealarm <B>PRO</B> and installed it on both PC's, this allowed me to set the PC's up as ICS Client and ICS Server, worked first time

Only thing is .. if i let the internet lock come on, it doesn't work.

Do you think this is a secure enough set up to leave on 24 hrs.. It's not as if i'm gonna be attacked, but it's happened before when i had no firewall.. I have a feeling it was someone i knew though!

Cheers for the advice

<I><B>Andy A</I></B>
Old 13 May 2001, 12:17 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Ok.. Now we move to Zone ALrm..

SOme may notice I'm setting up my home network by my post's so far tonite

I've got zone alrm on my Main PC with internet connection sharing enabled..

My slave PC connects fine to the internet, but when i enable zone alarm on the main PC it cant connect, I've tried allowing the adapter subnet for my NW card, and also allowing static IP, but it only seems to work with the slave auto detecting it's ip. <B>most of this doesn't even make sense to me</B> so you lot have probably got no chance

Anybody help?

Cheers

Andy
Old 13 May 2001, 02:52 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Anybody after ZoneAlarm <B>Pro</B>

Works fine with Win 2K Pro

Mail Me offline

[This message has been edited by Avi (edited 13 May 2001).]