Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cheeky B*****d - Please help

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2001, 12:18 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, the well used 'Ron Method'

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by RonaldoH:
<B>Kick 7 bells of s**t out of him. He would get the point then.

[/quote]

LOL
Old 09 May 2001, 04:16 AM
Tom Evans
Scooby Regular

Angry

Hi all,

We have the internet at our house at university; it is on my computer and my mate's, both of which are in our bedrooms.

One housemate (strange person) would just go on my computer without asking. I would come upstairs to find him hunched over my computer. He was either on the internet or going through files. I'd say something and just leave the room (gives me the creeps). This happened a few times.

The other night the four of us were in my room and I asked the one mate if he could clean the hard drive, etc. He did a few things and then started moving files.

Then he came across an icon which he said shouldn't have been in a particular folder. Opened it and there was just over 20MB of hardcore **** (pics/vids). It was what this housemate was doing when I came into the room, I reckon. I never hung around so didn't know what he was up to.

He put the **** under Microsoft Works (I use Word), as well as in other folders, so I wouldn't find it. I do not get offended very easily, but some of the material was pretty nasty s***.

Mate who found it said that he would be on the internet all weekend when I was away watching the Villa.

Needless to say, I'm pretty p****d off, using my computer, behind my back for this. I personally don't find **** that offensive, but some of this stuff was sick. (Not child **** however, otherwise I'd have killed him). I don't need to spell it out, as I'm sure you're all aware what's out there

So, the question is there any way I can quickly check to see if he has downloaded anything and where it's been placed? As opposed to spending ages checking files. Know about checking history and internet files, but the person had deleted them to cover tracks.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Tom

Old 09 May 2001, 07:56 AM
whizzer
Scooby Regular

You could use a key stroke logger programe .
Here's a whold bunch of them . All free .
Old 09 May 2001, 08:05 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Nasty little git. If you really want to spoil his day, inform the police.......(after making sure you can prove you didn't download the ****.... )

Obvious comment, is the PC password protected on logon?
Old 09 May 2001, 09:08 AM
mixit
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Tom.
Here's what you can do about your "Nosey" room mate.
You need to set up a "User Profile". In fact you need to set up 2. One for yourself with access to all your stuff and it's possible to set up another which leaves the screen completely blank and display's a message of your choosing . When most people try this they usualy leave it so that pressing "escape" or clicking cancel will still let the "Dodgy Geeza" in. I have a system of tweaks that you can use to keep em out, and it is pretty secure, unless your room mate is a bit of a hacKER. But it sounds to me like he's only the last 3 letters . Drop me an e-mail and I'm sure I can help you out.
Mixit
P.S ........ you must be using 95 / 98 or 98se for this to work. No good with the "Evil" that is M.E.
Old 09 May 2001, 09:25 AM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Wink

Kick 7 bells of s**t out of him. He would get the point then.

Old 09 May 2001, 09:31 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Talking

I know Nortun Utilities has a utility (surprisingly ) that can recover deleted files from your hard disk provided the blocks haven't been overwritten. It won't know the first character of the file, but you can tell if it is a 'dodgy' .jpg or .mpg file, etc. as it knows the extension.

You just restore stuff, add in a random character at the start and then have a look at what the deleted file was.

It's actually a useful utility if like me, you don't use the recycle bin, and have the occasional tendency to be a complete spanner and delete something you didn't mean to!

Trending Topics

Old 09 May 2001, 09:44 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Hi Tom,

Cheeky git!!

I assume you have tried doing a search for the files? This is an easy way to find all files with a particular file extention no mater where they are.

Click on Start &gt; Find &gt; Files

Enter the file extentions you want to look for. Most images on the net are .jpg or .jpeg and most movies of any kind seem to be .mpg or .mpeg so you need to type in..

*.jpg, *.jpeg, *.mpg, *.mpeg

Make sure you look in the root dir (C: ) and search all subfolders.

It may take a while to find them all and you will need to check what the files are before you delete them. This won't work if he has changed the file extention though...

EDIT. Sorry if this is a bit basic You have probably tried this already...

[This message has been edited by Nimbus (edited 09 May 2001).]
Old 09 May 2001, 11:25 AM
ChrisB

To stop him using your PC again, I'd set a boot password in the BIOS. Most PCs allow you to do this, even Dells and Compaqs.

Whenever the PC is switched on, you have to enter a password before it will start booting into Windows.

You can get around it but it usually involves taking the lid off to pull a battery or short a jumper.

Chris.
Old 09 May 2001, 11:29 AM
ca
Scooby Regular

Angry

Tom,

This makes me so angry. A complete disregard for other peoples property. Grr!!

You should have tackled him the very first time you spotted him on your computer without asking, though.

If I were you, I'd put on a hardware boot password (make sure your system doesn't try to read the floppy drive when booting) and a screen saver password.

C
Old 09 May 2001, 11:33 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

There are some windows files which contain a life history of where your PC has visited.

I think originally MS put them in to provide info to themselves whenever you contacted them, (or indeed I imagine whenever you went online), however their (reasonable in their eyes no doubt) market research master stroke was kyboshed when people in the US found out an objected, so they don't use them anymore, or so they claim.

These files are hidden system files IIRC, so you need a utility to get shot of them. If you download a small utility called "Spider", it a)reads and displays the contents of these files, and b) optionally clears them out.

I was amazed to see all the sites I had been to since I built the PC 2 years previously, along with stacks of cookies I didn't know I had. I removed the lot using Spider. Get the lates beta version. It's free.

Most Bioses have a P/W protection, stops anyone even booting it up, but don't forget what your P/W is, and don't play with it!

When the culprit asks for the p/w confront him/her with your misgivings.

But at the end of the day remember one man's **** is another man's page3.(And you are all over grown schoolkids and tax dodgers. )

Although from what you say this bloke has gone beyond the Pale.
Old 09 May 2001, 01:33 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

LOL - Big Ron's in a good mood today otherwise it would be nine bells.....
Old 09 May 2001, 07:14 PM
Tom Evans
Scooby Regular

Hi all,

Cheers for all the replies.

There is a password when the internet is started up, but it is saved because we all pay a monthly fee, so can't really ban him, etc.

Ron,

LOL
Believe me, I've come close over the past few months. He's the Man Utd glory supporter I posted a topic about a while back.

Nimbus,

Yeah, this is how my mate found the stuff.

ChrisB,

Do you know how to do this. We have a finger printing password on the computer at home and that's what I'd like to do. I've got a Dell computer.

BarryK,

This stuff went beyond ****. Real nasty. If it were ordinary ****, then hey I wouldn't care , apart from the fact he is being sneaky and hiding it on my computer.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 09 May 2001, 08:25 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

OK, stick his *** in a vice and wind the handle hard.......
Old 09 May 2001, 09:43 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

.......dude I'm with Mr Harris on this one......give me and Ronnie the nod and we'll kick 7 shades out of him - them Mr T-S can follow up with a couple more to make 9.....

Old 10 May 2001, 01:59 AM
Gerg2
Scooby Regular

Since I'm over the other side of the world...can someone give him a huge bitchslap with a run up for me ?
Old 10 May 2001, 09:26 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

right click on the desktop, select properties, this brings up screen properties, set a password protected screensaver. If you are using the machine and walk away, it'll screen save and then the git will need a password to get into the machine.

Also, reboot the machine and hit the del key to get into the BIOS setup, One of the options (supervisor password?) will allow you to password protect the machine at boot, thus when you turn on, it'll ask for a password, no password, no play! I would also recommend that if you do the BIOS password thing, you also set the password to get into the setup util, as otherwise the git could go in and change password to something you don't know.

Ultimate solution is to tell him to **** off and use someone elses machine, stating you know what he's been downloading and will tell everyone about it. Never know, might work!
Old 10 May 2001, 01:59 PM
Aero
Scooby Regular

I heard that at a well known UK ISP, someone was looking at filth on work machines. So they ley him get on with it and saved up all the urls and homepages for a month, then printed it all out ,wrapped it all up in a pretty bow and presented it to him with a johnny on the top.

I think they call it aversion therapy.

Old 10 May 2001, 02:00 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Wink

Check your sheets and flannel for stains....

Then get everyone who pays for the internet connection together and say that one of them has been accessing this stuff and you don't find it acceptable. That you don't expect it to happen again.

He may well not realise you know, and the fact that it's out in public will stop him doing it.

Dave
Old 11 May 2001, 01:25 AM
Tom Evans
Scooby Regular

Hi all,

Just to say that I have set a password on boot and a supervisor so he can't change any sttings.

Something which occured to me today, freaked me out even more. Some of the **** was already on his computer, it turns out. He saved it to floppy and put it on my computer. Also, he downloaded **** onto my computer - why didn't he save it on disk and put it on his computer? It is not as if this stuff was for my benefit. I neither want that s**t on my computer and I didn't know about it either. This leaves me somewhat confused - and worried.

Therefore I took Dave P's advice and checked my sheets and flannel

Markus,

Thanks for tip about the password protected screensave. Activates when comes off standby, which I've set to 5 mins.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 11 May 2001, 11:45 AM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Nasty piece of work your housemate.

If you can acuire a copy of NT, install this and only set up the required users leaving him off. He'll have fun trying to get in then.

Plus I think there is s/w available that lets you put a password on your boot drive.

P.

Spulling mishtakes

[This message has been edited by Sith (edited 11 May 2001).]