Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rally Game

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2001, 10:05 PM
melpaul2002
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just bought 2nd hand Network Q Rally simulation.

to install CD it states,

click on start, select programs and then MSDOS Prompt.

type in your Cd rom letter, this maybe D: ( press ) enter.

Then at D: (type) install (press) enter

nothing else then happens !

says that you should then follow on screen guides,

it says in the instructions CD - Rom letter MAYBE D, could it be anything else then.

any other ideas why it will not work.
Old 20 April 2001, 11:08 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Question

Sounds like it might be an old DOS game from the instructions you give. Does it have a publishing date?

If it 'is' and old DOS game, and it does sound like it, you have probably ventured into the good old black art of needing to optimise your base memory.

Back in the good old days, programs executed in the base 640k of memory, some requiring around 600k of it to work. If this is the case it would mean optimising your config.sys and autoexec.bat to load stuff into high memory.

Hope that helps.
Old 20 April 2001, 11:13 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Question

Do you mean the Network Q RAC Rally championship game made in late 96/97 made by Magnetic fields and released by Europress?

Nick.
Old 20 April 2001, 11:24 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Cool

cracking game that was.

thought it was windows game ?

steve
Old 20 April 2001, 11:47 PM
melpaul2002
Scooby Regular

yes mr footlong it is the europress game, is it any good, suspect not if its such an old game.

what is the best rally game around now with subaru.

hanslow is all that advice easy to do ? not very good with PC

says requires 590k at DOS prompt and 1.5Mb EMS

[This message has been edited by melpaul2002 (edited 20 April 2001).]
Old 21 April 2001, 09:57 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

From what I can remember off the top of my head, you will need to add

DEVICE=C:WINDOWSHIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:WINDOWSEMM386.EXE RAM

Then change all other DEVICE lines in your config.sys to say DEVICEHIGH.

Then nip over to your autoexec.bat and stick LH in front of all the commands. This loads them into high memory.

You only have a certain amount of high memory to play around with so once it is full, nothing else will go in, so it might be a case of playing around putting LH in front of certain ones and not in front of others.

Can't remember if the EMM386 line in config.sys can have DEVICEHIGH either, it's a long time since I've done this

Just make sure you back up your autoexec.bat and config.sys in case you forget what changes you made

To save time as well, first boot up your PC, hold down F8 and select command prompt only. Type MEM and get a memory reference, you already have your target base memory figure available. Then start DEVICEHIGH-ing and LH-ing (it's short for loadhigh) and repeat boot process and type MEM again to see what changes have affected.

Other than that you will need to just play with these settings to find the optimum setting. There used to be a tool called MEMMAKER which was shipped with MS-DOS 6.22 which you could run and it would do it all for you, but they never shipped it with windows (as far as I know) . It was quite useful
Old 21 April 2001, 11:57 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Depends on whether you have Win9x or ME.

Hanslow is pretty right, but I would recommend the following:

open up ms-dos prompt, you should be at c:windows
type in cd.. then return
type edit config.sys, you should get a blue screen with a few lines of text in: Add in the following: Should add these in at the very top.

DEVICE=C:WINDOWSHIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:WINDOWSEMM386.EXE NOEMS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=60
BUFFERS=60

Change the line referring to display.sys to start with DEVICEHIGH, as opposed to DEVICE

If you can see any device lines referring to what looks like a DOS CDROM driver, place REM and a space in front of it, as Win9x has perfect DOS cdrom support within itself. This will free up some memory.

If the mouse is working within the box, then click file, exit and yes to save changes. Back to the black and white

type- edit autoexec.bat then return. Blue screen again. Should find a line starting with keyb uk, change this to LH keyb uk.
Again, look for any cd-rom drivers and REM them out.
It is very unlikely that you need the cdrom drivers to make the drive work within windows, unless you have an old 486 with 1xcdrom or summat like that!

Reboot and the system should come up just fine. Open up ms-dos prompt and type mem and return

A table will spit out at you , ignore the figures and look at the largest executable program size line near the bottom. Should read something between 601-609K free, depending on what crap is loading in DOS.

Ignore all of the above if you are on ME, as you will not have much luck running DOS games at all.

Just add Hanslows backup advice to my info and you should be set. adding devicehigh to the emm386 line will have no effect. It will ignore it, or refuse to load the line up.

Yes, the game was the best of it's day by far, I stuck it on again just a few months ago.

Colin McRae Rally 2 is a current fav with a lot of netters on here.

Hope that all helps....

Nick