Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Credit Card Fraud - Be careful

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2001, 06:23 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tried to use mt Company Card a little while ago

Not authorised - Strange - 3.5K limit and all i have done is buy fuel.
Turns out some scumbag has tried (and failed) to take £1800.00 and then again £ 900.00 - which was authorised alog with another person who managed £ 498.00

I am covered by card insurance.
They where done as a CNP (card not present) transactions so someone had either swiped my card without me knowing - common apparently, or watched me use it somewhere and jotted down the info.

Another chap at work has had £ 60.00 worth of fraud by someone topping up their Pre pay mobile phone. Check your statements thoroughly!

Old 08 April 2001, 10:53 PM
Steve Williams
Scooby Regular

BE VERY CAREFUL USING THE CREDIT CARD AT PETROL STATIONS.......

This is apparently very common, the (unscrupulous) employee swipes the card, but in another 'reader' not in the usual machine.
They then say "sorry there appears to be a problem with your card" or something similar, you then give another card which goes through properly... think nothing of it, these things happen.
You then get a dodgy amount show up on your statement (sometimes months later), some people do not question it..... they have conned you, you are unaware of the deception, they get away with it.

This happened to my wife a few months ago (we think), this exact scenario.... she immediately contacted the card company (she knew there should not have been a problem), they told her a similar thing to the above.... She said that the card was not used at **** station on that day, or any day again (she uses other card, or other petrol station now), and stated that if there should be any strange amounts they would be informed and they should be removed (they tentatively agreed), so far nothing. The other thing she said at the time to the petrol station attendant, was that she had never had a problem, and she would be informing the card company immediately, did this make a difference? Who knows? Was it a fraud attempt? Who knows?

Makes you think though...
Old 09 April 2001, 09:41 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Another good reason to use a Credit Card and not a Debit Card (like Switch). At least if you find a fraudulent transaction on your MasterCard bill, you have the opportunity to call the card company and tell them that it's nothing to do with you and you won't pay it. If someone gets hold of your Debit Card info, then the money has actually left your bank account...
Old 09 April 2001, 10:09 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Angry

Be very careful when using Switch/Debit cards. A guy here at work had £750 disappear from his account *after* he noticed that something was amiss and reported the card as compromised. He had only ever used the card to pay for something once in a supermarket. The thief who was using it carryed on using it the same petrol station after it was reported. The bank and Police didn't seem to care. The bank obviously makes sooo much money, it doesn't care. The Police are too busy nicking motorists to worry about fraud.

It is worth checking your balance every couple of days, because if this guy had lost his card after it was compromised, he would only get back the money spent after reporting it. In his case he would have lost £250.

[This message has been edited by Jerome (edited 09 April 2001).]