Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone got an in-car MP3 player?

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2003, 07:26 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Can you get them..how much do they cost..and whats the quality like....or should i stick to a conventional CD player?

Paul...
Old 21 January 2003, 07:35 PM
scooby-new
Scooby Regular

I've got a Sony CDX-MP30- its a single slot player that retails about £150 on Empire Direct (£230 in Argos if u dont like Empires crappy service). Sounds great it will play ordinary CD's and best of all you can burn 700MB of MP3's onto any CDR/RW and get many many hours of music on 1 disc depending on quality. For example I recently drove Paris-Netherlands-Germany-London-Lake District-Paris and didnt change the CD once!

Gives you the best of both worlds and makes boot changers obsolete-Oh and all the music is free via Win Mx or similar file sharing tool.

If the £150 model is a bit to cheap sounding then Sony do a real fancy one for £300 (CDX-MP70?) with a swish motorised panel that will probably stop working as soon as the guarantee runs out!
Old 21 January 2003, 07:41 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Question

That sounds the business mate.....how easy is it to navigate through the various albums?....i have loads of single artist MP3's with up to 10 albums on each.Its gotta be pretty easy as you're often driving as you change album etc.

Also is the sound quality just as good as an ordinary stand alone player?
Old 21 January 2003, 07:48 PM
12LEE
Scooby Regular

Scroll down to the bottom of this thread.... coming soon and beta testers will be required during February.

Cheers

Lee.
Old 21 January 2003, 09:21 PM
scooby-new
Scooby Regular

Navigation all depends how the albums are formatted - some of them are hard work but remember the main work in formatting is done by yourself when u burn the disk so depending on how much work you put in on authoring them depends how easy they are to find. Also if you buy one from Argos you can demo it for free for upto 15 days and if u don't like it just take it back for a refund. Fitting was a doddle just needing an adaptor from MY96 Jasc to standard ISO.

At £150 MP3 sound doesnt get much better than this- as to sound quality the MP3's don't sound that different to the regular CD's I play. It has a reasonable high power amp but I don't think its upto the standards of the true in car audiophile. It doesn't make much difference to me as the background noise from my Wagon means all that counts is a loud noise and plenty of bass to fight the tyre rumble!
Old 21 January 2003, 09:30 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Okay...thanks...

Are there any disadvantages to having one......why doesnt everyone have one?
Old 21 January 2003, 09:32 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I have a Kenwood one its ace as i have a 1hr journey to and from work.

Downside is you can never have enough tracks!!!

Andy

Trending Topics

Old 21 January 2003, 09:41 PM
scooby-new
Scooby Regular

Everyone doesnt have one cos they are relatively new and people havent cottoned on to the idea of using CD's as a medium for storing MP3's. My girlfriend has a Walkman style one using the 3 inch discs and that is also a great product.
Downsides are relatively long initial access times (20-30 secs) when inserting a disc and thats about it. Its just like a normal single slot CD player except it will also read MP3 files and decode them. It also has a nifty tuner and excellent LW reception for those of us that like to listen to Radio 4.
Old 22 January 2003, 11:13 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Cool

Anyone else?
Old 22 January 2003, 11:22 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Yes - ME!

I have a Kenwood one - one of the first type to be sold - I couldnt be without it now. Had it 2 years odd.

I burn my MP3's at 192KB's and you cannot tell the difference between CD and MP3 - apart from the fact you dont get the song title/artist display on CD - only MP3.... for that alone MP3 wins for me.

You can get about 7 albums on a CD-R at 192, about 10 at 128.

So I have about 10 CD's in my glovebox with 70 odd albums. Try that on Audio CD's!:P

I like it so much I am working out how to fit it to my new MY03 (double Din) when it arrives, without it looking sh1te.

Buy one - you know it makes sense.
Old 22 January 2003, 11:26 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an Alpine CD headunit hooked up to one of the Dension MP3 players. Yes, I could have bought an MP3 compatible headunit and burned plenty of CD's, but the thing I really like about the Dension is I can store my entire CD collection and MP3's on it.

No need to carry loads of CD's and wonder which song is on which CD. Just scroll through every song and album you have or create some playlists.

If you need to add more tracks, just attach it to your PC and copy them straight over.

I just like the fact that I don't need to worry about taking certain CD's away on long trips as my entire music collection is always in the car

Stefan
Old 22 January 2003, 11:34 AM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

I have this one : Cooooooooooool MP3 Player

Hope the clicky bit works.

It plays like a dream, lots of different sound outputs, works well and the disc loads in about 15 seconds, scrolling display if mp3's are labelled. Its easy to use and a combination of 2 buttons to jump up or down folders to select tracks. I am well happy with it, i got mine for £250 at Tottenham Court Road - London now have it connected to decent speakers and a smallish amp, sound is crisp, bass not as deep as i would like, but needs a woofer added, best things is it comes with built in amp 60w x 4 and 3 pre-outs. I am more than happy with it.

[Edited by lpski1 - 1/22/2003 11:39:34 AM]

Edited to say Wahoo 100th post

[Edited by lpski1 - 1/22/2003 12:32:43 PM]
Old 22 January 2003, 12:41 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Question

Okay....i've just seen this at Empire Direct...Panasonic £195HERE

CD/MP3 Player with RDS Radio
- 4 x 50W High Power Output
- Detachable Flip Down Front Panel
- CD-R/RW Compatible
- MP3 File Playback
- CD Changer Control
- 3 Preouts for connection of External Amplifiers (Front, Rear & Sub)
- Aux-In (Rear)
- Infra-Red Remote Control
- Telephone Mute
- Aux In
- Level Meters
- Silver Finish with Blue LCD Display
- Day & Night Illumination

Are there any obvious features missing?
Thanks
Paul...
Old 22 January 2003, 01:07 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

I have a Kenwood MP3 CD changer (10 disc) It was one of the first in the country

There are a few annoying bits with it such as it doesn't support the mp3 ID tags, but 120 hours of MP3s in a car is too good to miss, especially as CDs tend to be more robust than hard drives in my experience, and the whole unit is contained in a single box that plays normal CDs too. (If you still have any )
Old 22 January 2003, 01:21 PM
scooby-new
Scooby Regular

Sounds good for £200- watch Empire direct as loads of people have trouble with their deliveries. I used them and had no problmes though.