Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Floorboards.........anyone got a clue?

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2003, 05:46 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Thought i'd sort out some tiles for the kitchen floor this weekend Here's my dilemma:

The previous occupants were a tad lazy to say the least but what they have essentially done is to glue vinyl tiles onto chipboard flooring, without protecting the wood underneath. The net result is that over the years, water etc has seeped between the tiles and has made the wood rotten.

Now the wood is in sheets laid across joists. I plan to rip up ALL of the old "rotten" wood and the crappy vinyl tiles and replace the wood. I want to then tile the floor with proper ceramic tiles. My question is this: how do i prevent the same happening again? Rather than the MDF type sheets of wood, should i use some other type? Or will proper ceramic tiles and grouting be enough to stop water seeping under them?

Any other tips?

Cheers

Mikey
Can't believe that I have posted on scoobynet about DIY shhhhh!
Old 19 January 2003, 05:59 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

and not in the DIY forum either..!!!

here is our kitchen floor..

I think ours were laid on concrete though..!!

Dan

[Edited by dhorwich - 1/19/2003 6:00:29 PM]
Old 19 January 2003, 06:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy

One of the problems of tiling onto a wood surface is finding a glue that will stick the tiles down. The other is that the wood flooring expands and contracts, while the glue/tiles don't. Result: loose tiles, and more water going through.
I stongly suggest you look up tiles in YP, then ask them for advice on adhesives.
Alcazar
Old 19 January 2003, 08:23 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers dudes and Dan........nice floor

Mikey
Old 19 January 2003, 08:24 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

only problem....... you cant get away with dropping anything on them..!!!!

Dan
Old 19 January 2003, 08:32 PM
Scoobs_4ever
Scooby Regular

I'm no expert on diy but I can comment from my recent experiences of laying floor tiles.

You can offer some protection to the wood by using PVA glue. PVA glue is used in many applications from priming plaster-boards to water-proofing wooden sub-floors. This stuff may help.

Its also important to get the right spec of chip-board. I think its 22mm green chip-board you should be using.

As for the adhesive. You'll need to buy a flexible adhesive as wood does expand and move slightly. You'll also need to use a flexible grouting material, one with latex in otherwise the grout will crack.

cheers
Andy.
Old 19 January 2003, 08:42 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The chipboard is available in either 22mmm or 18mm, most would probably be 18mm, it's also available either water resistant, or not, the water resistant stuff is known as 'P5', the non is 'P4'.

Note i say water resistant, not, waterproof!!!!!!

Trending Topics

Old 19 January 2003, 10:01 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

This place (Scoobynet) never ceases to amaze me

Cheers guys

Mikey
Old 19 January 2003, 10:46 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

18mm flooring grade T&G chipboard is fine, its easy to lay, doesn't suffer movement like floorboarding, and is pretty durable if kept dry. Available from your local timber yard, don't buy from DIY outlets, its a fortune. Make sure you screw it well down to avoid creaks.

In reality, you could polybond coat (PVA) the floor and tile it straight away without problems, but for an even better job, obtain some 3mm WPB ply and lay it on top of the chipboard, fix using either roundhead nails or screws, make sure none are proud. Then mix a bucket of PVA & water and give the floor a couple of coats, this ensures a good key and gives even more moisture protection. Lay the tiles using a quality flexible floor adhesive, and grout. Job's a good 'un.
Old 19 January 2003, 10:58 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just remembered, you should glue all the joints in the T&G aswell, = less creaks!!!
Old 19 January 2003, 11:24 PM
dxg999
Scooby Newbie

If you are using chipboard/particle board, make sure its the moisture resistant kind (this would be spec' for a kitchens and bathrooms).

If you're talking huge amounts of moisture here, you could lay WBP (weather and boil proof) ply under the tiles - but I've never heard of this being done to a floor - although it is what you should use behind the tiles on a shower, to prevent moisture going through the plasterboard (if you have that).

All this is from vague memories of about ten years ago, though...
Old 19 January 2003, 11:27 PM
dxg999
Scooby Newbie

Sorry - just read Olly's post above (it's too late - been a hard weekend, and all that).

Basically - I second what he says! (but don't forget the mositure resistant version of board)
Old 20 January 2003, 12:33 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Use 18mm ply - chip board will rot even if your neighbour goes for a **** in the garden. Put the ply down and give it a couple of coats of PVA. Get a PVA based adhesive, as it will allow some wood expansion along with helping waterproofness (is that a word?). If you can get 'Just the job' adhesive and grout, these have a good working time, remain flexible for years and are waterproof
Old 20 January 2003, 12:29 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

chip board will rot even if your neighbour goes for a **** in the garden
PMSL!- you are right FB, ply is a better material. However unless you live next to the river and are planning a flood, in these circumstances I would still go for the MR chipboard. I'm a joiner, and have encountered no problems with it- I fitted it in my own place, which says something! WBP Ply is a lot more expensive, and I have never yet seen pre-formed ply with a tongue & groove- absolutely essential for stability in flooring, especially under tiles. (Not saying it doesnt exist though!) In theory you could machine your own groove and make tongues- easy if you own a joiners shop, nigh on impossible if not. The chipboard is a doddle to lay. Invest in some knee pads though, you won't be sorry.

All IMHO of course.