Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2001, 11:18 AM
Tal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hi Kids

Problem

We have a little network 2 pcs linked together by a ethernet cable (coxial) with network cards in them they are linked to HP server.

We have about 20 other computers which we plan to network together in about 6 months time

For the time being I want to put one PC on the network because it's harddisk is full and to small anyway

What is the best way to achieve this

? add a netork card to the new pc run a cable from the last pc on the chain ( i.e. no router) what settings do I have to change on the server and the new pc?

Server - Windows NT
PC'c windows 98

Tal

Bear in mine I am a Mechanical Engineer and not a IT Geek
Old 21 March 2001, 11:45 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tal

Some assumptions. By Coax we're talking "Thin" Ethernet (10Base2). Each Network card has a BNC T- Piece on it ?

With such a small network , NT is configured as a Workgroup Server not as a Domain. - You can check either on the Server or The workstations - are they configured to join a Workgroup or Domain.

Probably also uisng Netbeui only - In the Network properties are the Client PCs configured with the "NetBeui" protocol only, "Netbeui" & "TCP/IP" or "TCP/IP" only ?

If the answers are Thin Ethernet, Workgroup and Netbeui then its extremely easy to add a new PC. Extra length of cable to the new PC, move the terminator (small BNC cap type thing) to the last PC. Then configure the Network properties identically like the other PCs with the exception of the PC name which must be unique.

If any answers are different then there are more things to take into account....

Longer term for 20 pcs , you probably want to be looking at a proper 10/100BaseT (Cat 5) Hub or switch, Some proper cabling in the office, and moving to a Domain based NT model rather than the insecure Workgroup configuration.

Dean
(BSc Mech Eng - but now IT geek!)

[This message has been edited by dsmith (edited 21 March 2001).]