Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Canada Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2003, 11:48 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Ello. We got any Canadians in da house (AWD? you're one of em aint you? or am I wrong?)

As some are aware, my employer has a US office, and there was talk of me moving out there, however, for various reasons, it now looks as though there is a very big chance we shall be opening a Canadian office, and most probably in Toronto, or thereabouts. Thus the prospect of moving over there to work and live has come up.

So, I have all the usual questions.

How easy to get a visa? What's the cost of living like? cost of fuel, food, houses, cars, healthcare, etc. etc.

Need a basic run down of it all.

From the things I've seen it looks like it's cheaper than the UK to live (and purchase/rent houses) plus looks like a way better quality of life.

Anyone here moved from UK to Canada? if so then I'd love to hear your experiences.

Any advice welcommed.

There's not guarentee that I will go, but if the offer is there, then I think I'd be a fool not to take the opportunity.
Old 11 January 2003, 03:07 PM
WRX_280
Scooby Regular

Checkout the following site, www.cic.gc.ca ...it has everything you need to know.

If its part of a company move, then it's pi$$ to get to Canada, as the Company will sort out everything i assume, visa, accomodation etc etc. If you want to go there as an independent skilled its a PITA. It works on a points system. You need 75 out of 100. Points are based on education, language, etc etc.

Oh and Toronto, is easily the best place to live on this planet

Any more questions, feel free to private me

Regards
Old 15 January 2003, 09:07 PM
Loopylu
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Hi Markus

I lived in Toronto for 12 months in 1997-98 but have been back many times to visit, I think it's a fabulous place. I'll try to answer your questions below.

Visa: if you are work-sponsored then my recollection is that the company only has to be able to prove that they can't find someone locally to do the job. For a multi-national company (whatever size) it's fairly easy for the Cdn branch (who need to make the inital application) to include some UK specific knowledge requirements into the job, thus ensuring a 'local' wouldn't be able to do the job as well. IF not work sponsored, well good luck!

Cost of living: not everything is cheaper but the quality of life is MUCH higher. Taxes for eg are higher (federal & provincial), works on a sliding scale like the UK and top combined rate in Ontario was 48% when I was there (I know about it as I worked in expat & personal tax - for a Big 5 accy firm, as was). I lived right downtown which if you don't have kids would be the best place to be though not the cheapest. The subway system is very straightforward, one vertical line & one horizontal, for the area further out but still considered Toronto (say up to 30 miles out from centre) they have railway service called GO, a bit like the DLR. There is also the PATH system which is covered underground walkways (because it gets bloody cold in winter, -30 with the windchill factor which hurts like hell) and the walkways are full of all the shops they have in the malls.

Groceries were not much cheaper as I recall but the lifestyle of downtown living isn't geared towards staying in to eat. Meals are very cheap and huge, there's not so much distinction (or snobbery) about the type of restaurant or the cost - it's based on what food you want to eat that night. You can get a slice of pizza & coke for £1.50 or a 10-oz fillet steak with everything for £8. If you're based downtown everyone eats in the foodhalls during weekdays (don't think Harrods think 15-20 different permanent food outlets; Subway, McD's/BK/Harveys, chinese, italian, smoothies, bakeries, salad bars etc etc) and you'll pay about £2-3 for your meal. Clothing is much cheaper too (we go out regularly to stock up, it IS worth the airfare!)

Fuel is dirt cheap like the States; cars are equally ridiculously cheap at least for local makes but insurance is a stinger, can easily be > £1,000 for a yank family saloon, no idea if you wanted a performance car (back to living downtown though - cars really aren't necessary). Houses are cheaper than UK by a long way if living out of town (i.e. using the GO train system to get to downtown) but in the actually downtown area covered by the subway prices can be shocking. There are 'bad' areas even in downtown which I won't name here in case I offend any Cdns! Rent is extremely high downtown too, same as London in many ways (my Co paid £1000 per month w/out underground parking for 1-bed apt 6 yrs ago).

Healthcare: after 3 months you are eligible for NHS-equiv healthcare though you have to actually go & apply (a bit like queueing to sign on for the first time, I imagine)

Big pluses: lifestyle is fab, it's got (IMHO) the best bits of the USA but it's cleaner, safer, friendlier and there are very few Americans LOL

Minuses: hard to think of any... I guess taxes (if your Co is sending you on an expat deal let me know, I could offer further advice if you want!). They're not too hot at curries either.

Hubby wanted me to add: gadgets are no cheaper than here but Canada's Wonderland (theme park 1hr from TO) is just reward - he can't go back to Alton Towers now as it's just pants.

If you want any more information (!) please feel free to post here or email me
Old 20 January 2003, 04:03 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply.

Seems like the company is really going for this! so could be going soonish!

Offices probably in the mississauga area, which from all accounts is nice.