Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Digital Cameras

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2001, 08:27 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These American guys want to see pictures of my car as its pretty rare if not non-existent so I am looking for a Digital Camera for around £250, anyone bought one recently which they would recommend, or do i need to spend silly money ??? If so i think my credit card limit needs extending.
Bugger !

How easy it to plug into a computer and download the pictures?

Do i have to get some freeweb space?

Cheers guys
Old 19 January 2001, 09:19 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

You can get something decent for around £250. Stick to a well known make. Does you Mac/PC have USB as this make things a doddle to download. Most manufactuerer have decent S/w that detects the camera being plugged in and start up the s/w which then allows you to select which images to download from the camera.

Somethink like the Kodak DC215 is good value. The image quality of a digital is heavilly influcence by the number of pixels, so depending on what you want to do with the camera , you might want to save up and get something that uses more pixels and so offers better resolution. Also consider what type of batteries are used as some cheaper cameras use AAA type batteries which don't last long and can be expensive to replace over a period of time. If budget allows go for one with a Lithium Ion battery (LiOn) which should last ages. If you need any help let me know as I work for a company that sells all this stuff.

AllanB
Old 19 January 2001, 09:21 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

You can get something decent for around £250. Stick to a well known make. Does you Mac/PC have USB as this make things a doddle to download. Most manufactuerer have decent S/w that detects the camera being plugged in and start up the s/w which then allows you to select which images to download from the camera.

Somethink like the Kodak DC215 is good value. The image quality of a digital is heavilly influcence by the number of pixels, so depending on what you want to do with the camera , you might want to save up and get something that uses more pixels and so offers better resolution. Also consider what type of batteries are used as some cheaper cameras use AAA type batteries which don't last long and can be expensive to replace over a period of time. If budget allows go for one with a Lithium Ion battery (LiOn) which should last ages. If you need any help let me know as I work for a company that sells all this stuff.

AllanB
Old 19 January 2001, 10:25 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Smile

Pop into your local Boots the Chemist!

I am not sure of the exact details, but they have a web-site where you can post digital pictures, and they can scan normal photos and can up-load digital ones etc.

If you want to go DIY, you need a DigiCam, a connection to a PC, possibly photo-manipulation software, an ISP, some web-space etc.

Of course, there are always a GBP5.00 disposable camera and the _GPO_!

mb
Old 20 January 2001, 12:59 AM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Question

Thanks for the info guys, might have to save more pennies.

What camera in realistic money should i buy Allan ??
Old 20 January 2001, 04:34 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

Have a look at the Kodak EZ200 - around GBP80 from
Old 20 January 2001, 05:51 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Type R , email me off line and I'll do what I can to help and get some prices for you when I'm back in the office on Monday.

AllanB
Old 20 January 2001, 07:04 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, i have been meaning to get one for ages, i need a new camera and i want to put some pictures on the net when i come back from my track day at Jerez in Spain. Pay day on Friday so that could be the day.

Cheers Allan
Old 22 January 2001, 12:09 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

More opinions here:
Old 22 January 2001, 01:06 PM
Paulie
Scooby Newbie

One thing to be careful of is your operating system!

If you're running windows NT, you won't be able to use the USB port for transferring pictures. You'll have to use the (much slower) serial connection, if the camera indeed has one (the canon digital elph/ixus only has USB)

If you have a laptop, you can buy a PCMCIA/Flash Card adaptor... about 15 quid... stick this in your laptop and the images show up as .jpg files on a new drive... crafty

A good place to put pictures is
Old 23 January 2001, 10:47 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Paulie:
<B>One thing to be careful of is your operating system!

If you're running windows NT, you won't be able to use the USB port for transferring pictures. [/quote]

Might also be worth mentioning that some of the earlier versions of Windows 95 doesn't support USB either!

Nothing a Windows Update won't sort out, but a surprising number of people hit this stumbling block!!

So it's only later versions of Windows 95, all versions of Windows 98 and of course Windows 2000, that will support USB out of the box.

Also if running Windows 2000, you will need the Windows 2000 software. Normally you can get away with the NT4 version, but USB support then becomes an issue.

If in doubt, it's worth checking the website before buying the camera.

Hope this clears up a few things!
Andy
Old 25 January 2001, 08:20 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Allan, for some reason i can't email you ???
Old 26 January 2001, 10:37 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Try allanbayman@mac.com. I should be getting a Fuji 1400Z for my Dad next week so I should be able to let you know how this compares with the DC215.

AllanB
Old 27 January 2001, 10:06 PM
miller
Scooby Regular

I bought a fujiMX1200 this fits your price range about £200. Cheap and cheerful. Does the job easy to use quite a lot of features considering its a base model.
Or you could always borrow mine I`m always in and around stratford.