Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Home CCTV Systems

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2003, 03:17 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone got any info on home CCTV systems? In light of recent events I am considering fitting CCTV to monitor the back yard where the car is parked. It needs to be able to record overnight and in the dark.

thanks,

Alex
Old 06 January 2003, 04:24 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Mum and Dad have one, not sure where they got it from, but I think you will find a number of security firms do them. No sure if you can get infra red ones or not, with Mum and Dads the movement detectors turn on floodlights as well as the cameras. The important thing is for the tape to be secure! Suppose you could webcam it over the net!

Chris
Old 06 January 2003, 05:00 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

What do you want to know?

Huxley
Old 06 January 2003, 05:27 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

basically who do them, what systems are available, specs etc... and where can I browse various systems on line preferably.... I like to research around a subject before jumping in!
Old 06 January 2003, 05:32 PM
S55 HOT
Scooby Regular

Smile

Try RF Concepts for products.

You'll need a camera, a power supply & cable at a minimum.

If you want to go further a modulator will allow you to merge it into your aerial signal & view it on all your TV's.

What do you want to record onto ? A bog standard VCR on long play (8 hours), a time lapse video or your PC.

Etc. etc.

Al
Old 06 January 2003, 05:35 PM
S55 HOT
Scooby Regular

B&W is cheaper & will work in lower light.

Colour looks better.

IR can operate in complete darkness and illuminate the area in IR light which you can't see.

Something like this is the dogs - but it ain't cheap !
Old 06 January 2003, 07:22 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I just paid 30 quid from B & Q for a cheap black & White CCTV complete with 17m cable

pay a bit more, and you can have motion detection too, another 40 quid will get you a splitter for up to 4 cameras

nice little jobbie it is too

Steve
Old 08 January 2003, 09:28 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

thanks guys

what do you recommend is the best way to record from the camera? I guess a standard VCR will do it but can you get looping tapes or similar?
Old 08 January 2003, 09:35 AM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

B+Q do one for around £90 quid that will starts your VCR recording once the PIR is triggered.

Works a treat but, as expected, night vision is not great unless you have external lighting.

Mak.
Old 08 January 2003, 10:31 AM
S55 HOT
Scooby Regular

Wink

Depends how much you want to spend. VCR with long play will do 8 hours. You can get time lapse recorders, but they do a series of snapshots so not as good, but run over something like 960 hours. Or you can use a PC based system.
Old 08 January 2003, 11:22 AM
FERRARINUTTER
Scooby Regular

Hadleigh Alarms in southend are pretty good, they have small cameras with internal heat elements (ie stop freezing in this weather).

Has different modes, record when lights triggered, record when doorbell pressed etc

Visibility is superb, in near dark conditions and can watch and record, sometimes i spend longer watching this than eastenders
Old 15 November 2003, 09:35 AM
Yuck Fou Motorsport
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.y3kcctv.com
Old 15 November 2003, 09:57 AM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

OK why do you want to record them in action? VCR waste of time - you need a motion detecting, heat detecting, low-light B+W wireless system. The system I have comes with a 5 inch B+w monitor which sits in stand-by mode next to my bed. The camera is mounted scanning my driveway - when it detects motion or heat it automatically fires up my monitor which displays full image and sound! ( I turn the sound up very loud so when the monitor fires-up I **** meself). The point is that I can detect intruders BEFORE they even attempt to get in your pride+joy. The system works very well as it uses heat to detect not just motion so no false alarms with cats/dogz in fact it didnt even go off last night in all those high-winds! The camera has a nice red PIR light so the intruders know that they have been detected.

The best bit is that I got the full system from QVC for 80 quid!! You can buy additional wireless cameras that use the same monitor for about 50 quid!! The make incidentally is voltek!

Old 15 November 2003, 11:58 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Cool

OK why do you want to record them in action?

Errrrr, when you are out maybe?
Old 15 November 2003, 05:13 PM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

Oh so you can watch some tw*ts steal your car - fanatastic viewing and a jolly good use of my hard earned cash! How often do you leave your car on your driveway in the daytime with nobody in???

So unless you have something constructive to say go and fookin roll your eyes and spam somewhere else - pr1ck.

[Edited by Ru$$Rip - 11/15/2003 5:14:44 PM]
Old 15 November 2003, 06:51 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Lots of people have been known to commute by train and leave cars at home. We often take the wife's car and leave mine.

5 secs and I can think of 2 scenarios already.

Deano
Old 15 November 2003, 08:31 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Ru$$Rip- I shan't rise to your profanity otherwise I'll be reported for child abuse.

My reply was perfectly acceptable to any intelligent life form.

Having had a proper quad cctv system operative at my home for 9 years now, I am qualified to speak.

My property is totally enclosed, I have no outside drive except the one leading up to my gates which is only used for access.

I have other vehicles at home at all times, I have a home with contents in it.

Recording cctv footage has obvious benefits.
Old 15 November 2003, 09:52 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Errr.Russrip - I leave my car in the driveway (battered old Merc right now in case anyone thinks it is a Scooby!) sometimes as cycle to work.....

..and guess what, it got broken into when I was at work.
I also got our wheelie bin set on fire at 1am in the morning when asleep in bed....

Both are incidents I'd like to watch.

Also, having it on tape allows you to show it to cops (data protection act issues not withstanding!)
Old 15 November 2003, 09:55 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

By the way Russrip, the latest PC based CCTV recording systems will record to hard drive - an 80Gb drive will hold WEEKS of CCTV recordings, and if you set the software to only record when motion occurs, this can be even longer...

Also, I can watch it anywhere in the world, as all shown live on my server accessible over broadband.
Old 15 November 2003, 11:04 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

...unless they nick the server....
Old 15 November 2003, 11:06 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Stealing the server is a possibility, but you don't think I'd put it in an obvious place do you! It's wired into the LAN somewhere in my house, but nowhere you'd find
Old 15 November 2003, 11:09 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

I wasn't actually planning on blagging your gaf. The annoyance factor of having the server nicked just amused me a little, that's all. Must be too many beers
Old 16 November 2003, 10:54 PM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

So you are all going to spend your hard-earned cash on devices which will help the police???? If you are brave/stupid enough to leave a scoob unattended all day on your driveway then get yourself a dummy CCTV camera and a fooking big wheel clamp or gate-post! If the guy whos wheely bin was set on fire had a a system like I originally described he would have caught the tw*ts before they lit the fire and prevented a possible outcome which could have been far more serious!

(Potty Mouth)

[Edited by Ru$$Rip - 11/16/2003 11:17:37 PM]
Old 17 November 2003, 12:48 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Ru$$rip - you don't get it do you! Not all of us sit at home all night beside a monitor that springs into action as soon as something moves outside the house...

Yes, my wheelie bin was on fire, but it's a 1 in 10,000 night situation probably....I don't want a monitor lighting up my bedroom when I'm asleep every time something moves outside (ie, cat/fox, falling leaves, etc). I am not that security paranoid.

I'll take the risk of not seeing it "live" but take heart in the fact I know it has been recorded.

Ru$$rip - you would do well to be less abusive in your views on here. No-one has said anything abusive to you, so why all the abuse coming from your mouth? Chill!
Old 17 November 2003, 12:54 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Also, Ru$$rip, while I don't own a Scoob now, I had a brand spanking new MY99 for 2.5 years which was left unattended in various places in Edinburgh over that period. While some nights it was in a driveway, other nights it was outside flats quite a way from where I was sleeping.....and other than the std UK fitted alarm/immobiliser, it had nothing protecting it.

Funnily enough, over nearly 1000 nights, it was NEVER touched. The non-turbo Scooby along the road had it's spoiler ripped off, but they didn't come for the MY99 turbo spoiler.

Yes, nice to be security conscious, but it's not a human being - ie, not worth stressing over. I would certainly leave any expensive car of mine unnattended in a driveway during the daytime. Yes, it may get touched, but that risk is minimised by the insurance companies. If there was zero risk, I'd be on Third Party & Fire insurance (ie no Theft). I assume you therefore are on TPF given you can prevent ALL incidents

[Edited by imlach - 11/17/2003 12:56:18 AM]
Old 17 November 2003, 09:25 AM
Upipio Fumio
Scooby Regular

Imlach - it seems to me that YOU are the one missing the point! What is being described here is a proactive intruder detection system which is based on heat and PIR that has been developed to prevent false alarms. The system would clearly only used at night when the majority of theft cases take place. Its only the same as setting your zone alarm in your house. The fact remains is that most thieves will break into your property/fish through your letterbox to steal your keys. If you have young children do you want to take the risk of someone potentially prowling around your property whilst you sleep soundly in your bed with the great COMFORT of your trusty VHS whirring in the background???

Is it sinking in yet??......... :rollseyes:

[Edited by Upipio Fumio - 11/17/2003 9:33:40 AM]
Old 17 November 2003, 09:39 AM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

Imlach I am not normally abusive but certain people on the this forum really make my $h1t itch!!

Its clear that one system doesnt fit all - I expressed an opinion and a couple of noobs tried to flame me for it. With replies like that after an informative post I am suprised anyone wants to share ANY opinions??

I agree abuse should be kept offline - russell@17morley.freeserve.co.uk