Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any Lawyers clued up on Civil Euro Law ?

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2001, 12:36 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My mate here in Germany is having a problem with his insurance, he pranged his car and they fixed it. Now they say his driving was bad enough that in German Law they can come back after him for his repair costs despite being fully comp. If he skips home to the UK can they come after him and what other consequences might this course of action have regarding future travel ?

Cheers
Cammy
Old 08 January 2001, 12:57 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Camk - Comiserations to your mate, a mate of mine pranged his landrover over the Christmas period due to a woman leaping out in front of him on a black ice encrusted road he skidded and put it in a field, in doing so he hit a steal post buried in concrete creasing the rear side panel and smasshing the back window, on reporting it to the insurance company they asked numerous stupid questions in order to weedle there way out of coughing up but as there was a witness to his speed and state of his winter tyres they had to pay. I know this doesn't help much but now I know what the German insurance companies are like I realy hope I don't bend my Scoob.

With regard to skipping to the UK, we had a guy visit us over Christmas from the UK and a few years ago he had a drink driving ban in Germany when he was a student here, he bunked back to blighty without paying the fine, anyway when he flew into Munich and went through passport control it flashed up that he didn't pay this fine and he was nailed by the police and had to pay the fine on the spot or they were going to make him a guest of the local slammer, so If I was your mate and he does skip the country, then DON'T COME BACK!!!

Steve

[This message has been edited by Wurzel (edited 08 January 2001).]
Old 08 January 2001, 01:07 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Current stats are that 5 in every 100 Fully Comp claims in Germany are rejected due to what they call Gross Negligence.
Probably higher than in the UK !!!! This is surprizing given all the consumer rights here, all part of the big conspiracy in Germany with Government and Insurance firms I think anyway, thats why we all need to pay 2-300 quid a month on Health insurance plus 56% tax.
Old 08 January 2001, 01:25 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

I think its pretty normal for that type of thing as its treated as a criminal matter so the police are involved and its them/criminal court your evading. I'm not so sure what happens here if its what we would class as a Civil case in the UK where there is no Police involvement. He's not got anything from the Police and locals are saying possible 300DM fine so he's happy to pay that, just a bit gauling to pay the insurance back what they should be doing in the first place.