Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mac OS X - auto connect fot internet access

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2000, 07:22 PM
david
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Does anyone here run an iMac with OS 9 or OS X?

If so, is there any way of getting the system to automatically connect to the internet when a connection is required and then ask if you would like to disconnect when closing IE?? (like a PC does).

Cheers,

Dave

ps. if your using OS X, what do you think of it? I bought my first Mac about one month ago and didn't really like OS9, but OS X is much much better. Still very different from Windows, but it's so sexy (oo err)
Old 29 October 2000, 09:18 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Hope you bought it from MacWarehouse !!

I'll ask some of my tech guys and try and find out for you.

AllanB
Old 30 October 2000, 12:01 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Think you want to look at the 'remote access' control panel. Also look at prefs in IE. I'm sure that you can configure it so that when you fire up IE and try and hit a URL it opens the dialup connection.

Sorry it's a bit vauge, but I've never played with modems on the mac, only ever had leased line at the office.

As for Mac OS X Public Beta. hmmm, interesting. Looks nice and seems ok, but have you looked at 'netinfomanager' jeez! that's serious tech level stuff, I'm pretty clued up on mac type things (apart from modems obviously ) but netinfomanager scared the bejesus out of me!

I do like OS X PB but it's going to be a while before anyone uses it in a production environment. The people I've spoken to have said that they'll have test suites running it, but that's it.

We've got until at least april next year before it goes final, if not later, and even then no-one is going to do a complete switch over to it straight away. I'm of the 'suck it an see' opinion.

Oh, and these are my personal opinions and not those of my employers. Just thought I'd mention this as I do work for a Mac software developer, and things may be misconstrued!
Old 30 October 2000, 08:29 AM
david
Scooby Regular

Talking

Allan,

Yep, it's a legit copy (bit of a chek though paying for a beta).

Anyway. look forward to hearing from you.

Dave
Old 30 October 2000, 09:35 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Cool

OSX sux IMHO
The old style OS's are much easier to use, but I guess its what you're used too. I've been using System6/7 and MacOS8/9 for years. You can do what you need on the old OS9 from within the TCP/IP control panel and the options button. I have not been able to find an equivalent setting in OSX.
Do you have a Remote Access or Modem settings window in your system preferences window?
Old 30 October 2000, 07:02 PM
david
Scooby Regular

Angry

bummer....

Can't find anyhting.....

The only thing that looks remotely like it (pardon the pun), it's in IE preferences in the Advanced section.

It says, 'Automatically connect to the internet if the page is not cached' and I have checked the check mark, but still no joy.

No sign of a modem preferences section...
Old 31 October 2000, 10:19 AM
Jake
Scooby Regular

If your using OS9 then go to Remote Access in the control panels and click options then check the box at the top that says "Connect automatically when starting TCP/IP applications" it will dial up when you launch IE or NN but you will have to manually disconnect unless you also check the box in the connection menu (also remote access >options) "Disconnect if idle for 10 mins"

Jake