Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Nice weather for Ducks!

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2000, 10:49 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Sheesh! bit wet out there today! Glad I had AWD, poor old SuzyQ does not and had great fun on the roads.

BTW - if any of you lot are thinking of travellening from Tunbridge Wells or Frant, to Lamberhusrt via Bells Yew Green then forget it, unless you've got a serious of-roader you will NOT get through.

The railway bridge in bells yew green has about 2 foot of water under it and the road near bayham abbey is totally unpassable with about 4 foot of water.

Also Lamberhust village is closed as the river has flooded the center of the village, and probably the cellar of the Chequers pub, which is a shame as that's our corporate watering hole.

be careful out there.
Old 12 October 2000, 06:40 PM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Just had this through from the Environment Agency:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>SOUTHERN SEVERE FLOOD WARNINGS REMAIN IN FORCE AND FURTHER RAIN IS EXPECTED

'PHONE FLOODLINE 0845-988 1188 FOR 24HR RECORDED FLOOD WARNINGS

Heavy rain continues to fall across Southern England causing widespread flooding and putting life and property at risk. Further rain is forecast for the next six to nine hours, which is expected to create further flooding across Southern England.

The Environment Agency has issued severe flood warnings for:
River Uck, East Sussex, including the Uckfield Town Centre and Buxted
River Tiesse and the Lesser Tiesse, Kent, from Lamberhurst to Yalding
River Buelt, Pluckley to Bretherton and Yalding
River Ouse, East Sussex from Barkham to Newhaven, including Lewes
River Medway between Forest Row and Penshurst
River Rother between Mayfield and Newenden
River Eden and Bourne which are both tributaries of the River Medway
The West Brook, Kent
Swalecliffe Brook, Kent

The Environment Agency warns people living in Kent, Sussex, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight that further heavy rain is expected. Greatest concern is focused on North West Kent and East Sussex. The cliff area of Lewes is currently being evacuated and over the next six hours the rainfall is expected to cause further flooding across North Kent and Sussex and particularly the towns of Lewes, Arundel and other coastal estuary towns in the area. People in these areas should act NOW and prepare for evacuation.

In the past 72 hours North West Kent and East Sussex has received 180mm (seven inches) of rain; 130mm of this rain fell in the last 12 hours. These floods are thought to be the worst floods in Sussex for the last 30 years and the rainfall is equivalent to that which fell in the Midlands during the October floods of 1998.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And this:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>The Agency's urges people living in areas with a Severe Flood Warning to take the following precautions NOW is:
'phone the Agency's Floodline 0845 9881188 for up-to-date information on flood alerts and advice on what to do
Prepare for evacuation to emergency centres
Have warm clothing and wellingtons ready
Have any essential medication on hand
Check water and food supplies
Protect families, pets and irreplaceable items
Be prepared for loss of utilities: water, gas, electricity and telephone
move vehicles, food, pets, valuables and other items to safety
put sandbags and/or floodboards in place
prepare to turn off gas and electricity supplies
be prepared to evacuate your home.
as evacuation may occur at short notice.

The Agency also urges that people in areas with Severe Flood Warnings NOT to undertake any non-essential journeys or go out to view the flooding. In some of these areas water is fast-moving and dangerous

There are 42 Flood warnings and 82 Flood Watches currently in force in across the South, South West, Midlands and Central and Eastern England. Light rain is expected across most of the country today maintaining high river levels and continuing to saturate ground. People in areas where flood warnings are in force are advised to begin preparations in case of evacuation.
Will update as necessary.

***ENDS***
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Take care out there folks.

[This message has been edited by Stuart H (edited 12 October 2000).]
Old 12 October 2000, 07:29 PM
SuzyQ
Scooby Regular

Pish! Who needs AWD my little old honda crossed a river today...well it seemed like a river as the floor of my car vibrated as I went through it!!!
The bridge at Bells Yew Green was ok at lunch time,as me and my little car swam under it!!!
Who needs AWD...not me!!!
Old 13 October 2000, 07:25 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Wink

SuzyQ

Now I feel rejected....