Old 10 October 2000, 12:28 AM
JohnS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might want to check out:

Old 10 October 2000, 09:23 AM
Paul P
Scooby Regular

I purchased a Hauppage TV PCI card in September for my home pc. My pc is an AMD Athlon 800 Thunderbird with 30GB hard disc and 128MB of RAM.

For the past few weeks, I have been using the remote control applet to capture motion files in the .AVI format.

When playing back through Windows media player 7, I got an excellent picture and playback.

However last night, I created an AVI file and the playback through media player 7 was very jerky. On testing out previous .avi files that worked fine, they too had this jerky problem. The problem was the same using mplayer2.exe. However I noticed that when clicking on the properties of the .AVI file and clicking the preview, the picture was fine. I assume for the preview it uses mplayer.exe, as when opening the .AVI file with this application, mplayer.exe ran okay?

Sometimes when I preview the .AVI file, then double click on it to run media player 7, sometimes the picture runs fine, then it goes jerky.

I am recording the picture using 320x160 at 15fps using BTYUV format.

I have never had any problems before last night and have used the same settings to record several .avi files without any problems. However last night the problems began.

I know it may be a bit of a long shot but can anyone out there help?

Many thanks,

Paul.
Old 10 October 2000, 09:54 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Paul,

I also have the same card and have in the past come across the same problem.

What it seems to be is that if you use your PC for anything graphically intensive before trying the videos, you will get this problem.

I found that simply rebooting then using the vids. everything is fine. But this isn't 100% consistant.

I not only had your problem with playback, but capture would also be affected. I would normally capture at 30fps but occasionally this problem arises and I would be lucky to get 15fps capture.

So things to try are a clean reboot and also check for latest drivers. I haven't installed Mplayer7 so I don't think it is specifically this software causing the problem. I suspect it may well be related to the video playback codecs but I'm still working on it.

Cheers

Ian

Old 10 October 2000, 11:42 AM
Paul P
Scooby Regular

Thanks Ian,

I have read on the Hauppage web site that when playing back avi files through a media player, for most formats you need the TV card and drivers installed otherwise it won't work. ie you cannot play back an avi file on another machine unless they have the same Hauppage hardware/software installed.

This seems to suggest that using BTYUV format will only work through the media player using the Hauppage software!

However if you use a different format 15 bit or 24 bit RGB, then the avi file will work on other machines or on your own machine without using the Hauppage software.

I will be giving this a go tonight to see if this solves the problem.

I have also downloaded the latest drivers etc and will probably install these to see if the problem goes away.

Let me know if you have any more ideas otherwise I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again,

Paul.
Old 11 October 2000, 11:42 PM
Paul_P
Scooby Newbie

Ian,

Please check your email. I have sent you a document from Hauppage that I used to solve my problem with avi files.

Paul.
Old 12 October 2000, 09:59 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Paul,

Nice one

My machine is pure Intel chipset wise but has given me a clue with regards to the graphics board as I'm running a Savage board.

I'll have a play with their uprated drivers and see if it sorts it.

Cheers

Ian