Old 12 November 2002, 10:50 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

www.whatcamcorder.net

www.buy-the-best-digital-camcorders.co.uk

Happy hunting (Oh & hi Mark hows things)

Mark

[Edited by FLAT ERIC - 12/11/2002 10:52:50 PM]
Old 10 December 2002, 06:56 AM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

my wife wants to buy one, had a look last night in a few shops but just cant make head or tail on which is best.

can any1 help in which is best on build quality, no problems, ease of use (i.e. women proof )

or any links to sites that compare and explain all the technical garbage they do.

cheers in advance

mark
Old 10 December 2002, 09:50 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

I got a JVC GDVL??166 a few months ago for £400. It's really easy to use, plenty of functions and excellent picture quality (for a cheap camera). It has still capture but it's a waste of time since the DV images are just as sharp. The software is relatively simple to use if you plan on plugging it up to a PC but you'll need a firewire card to capture video. As with most cameras it comes with all the PC/scart/av cables you'll need.

Fortunately it came with a warranty cuz the mini tripod i had it on (about 6" high) fell over and the camera took a light knock. It started showing errors and chewing tapes which makes me think that they're not very robust.

If it wasn't for it breaking after such a slight knock i'd recommend it.
Old 10 December 2002, 02:25 PM
WRXsoon
Scooby Newbie

Has anyone seen the pocket size one on firebox.com for £99?
Old 10 December 2002, 02:30 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Yeah - don't bother, it's a load of rubbish....
Old 10 December 2002, 02:31 PM
Hicky
Scooby Regular

I bought one! Got a 128 MB(30-40 mins of video) memory card with it for another £49. Quite good for a simple point and shoot camera and the stills are ok aswell. Literally the size of your fist. Comes with software and cables to store pics and video to PC, you can also play it back straight to your TV.

Oh, you also get a big bag os restro sweets if you buy it from firebox.com.
Old 11 December 2002, 10:37 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Visit www.computervideo.net - is like the video scoobynet - you will find all you need!

:-)

Mike
Old 12 December 2002, 12:38 AM
normarker
Scooby Regular

Mines a JVC as well, GRDVL 367, much the same as the 166 marty_t3
has but with a memory card for stills which is bugger all use as I have a decent digicam for that sort of thing.
The big difference however is the DV In. This lets you edit your video on the PC then save it back onto the camera. Don't get one without this as you will need a ginormous hard drive and a video card with a TV out. Also you won't be able to take your vids round to other peoples houses and bore them silly.
Another thing, don't get a camcorder that is too small or you will have a job holding it steady.
Most DVs with DV out only have had DVin disabled in the software because it changes the import duty rate in the EU. It becomes a recording device rather than a camera and gets taxed at a higher rate. Many can be re-enabled but it may cost you and will bollox the guarantee.
This is an EU thing, the rest of the world is sane, at least in this respect.
Old 12 December 2002, 12:54 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I've just bought a new Panasonic NVGX7B Digital camcorder from Jessops for £720.

They will price match any local supplier and try their best to match online stores. So, with it retailing at £999 I made it my mission to find it cheaper elsewhere.

Found it on Let's Go Digital for £690. Took the printout down to my local Jessops (Glasgow) and asked if they would price match. 5mins later and a call to Head Office they told me £720 was the best they could offer as the online price is just below their cost. They threw in some tapes, so I accpeted the offer and took it home to have a play

First impressions is it's the mutts nuts and I'm well chuffed. Even took it along to my little sisters school concert and go 60mins on a single battery with the LCD running constantly.

My advice is too buy Which Camcorder or some similar mag and read some reviews. Also check out the Simply DV forum for real-life advice. I was considering the Canon camcorders until I heard complaints that the motor was really noisy on the zoom lense.

Stefan
Old 12 December 2002, 11:41 AM
Rab
Scooby Regular

Dont be fooled into thinking you need a DV in, There is some strange licensing law that means the manufacturers get charged a fortune to have DV in capability. So they simply switch it off in the software, and the best bit is you can get fixes off the internet, or you can buy a little dongle that goes between the camcorder and the pc.
Old 12 December 2002, 11:44 AM
ChrisB

There is some strange licensing law that means the manufacturers get charged a fortune to have DV in capability
It gets classed as a video recorder and you pay a higher duty (something to do with the EU IIRC).

Chris.
Old 12 December 2002, 08:59 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Rab, that was the case, but now the EU have come down heavy and it's going to be much harder to get DV in without paying for it in the first place :-(

Old 13 December 2002, 12:10 AM
normarker
Scooby Regular

See my earlier post, yes, that is the case.
However, according to Dixons advert today I see the GRDVL166 DOES have DVin, I stand corrected
Old 13 December 2002, 12:13 AM
normarker
Scooby Regular

Be a bit carefull with DV in fixes, if it all goes wrong you will have buggered DV and a void warranty
And the expression "woman proof" has no place in the English language

[Edited by normarker - 12/13/2002 12:16:23 AM]