Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Recording off NTL Digital

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2002, 02:55 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Has anyone got a solution to this? I have found out that the PACE set top box hasn't even got a timer on it! This is the 21st century after all, what are these prats playing at bringing crap out like that![img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Is there some super-duper remote thingy you can program to 'press the buttons' for you to make it tune in to record programmes in conjuction with your video recorder???

Is is my video now useless?
Old 08 December 2002, 03:12 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

leave it on the right channel?

Same issues

Si
Old 08 December 2002, 03:53 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Question

Can you set a 'reminder' for the show and have it switch over automatically?
Old 08 December 2002, 04:00 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Last time i did that, it requested me to press the button to change to that other channel
Old 08 December 2002, 05:51 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

You can only set reminders for programmes on the schedule, which does not go more that 2 days and has to be done for every occasion. You cannot even set these for the same programme the same time every week!

I want to record several programmes, on a regular basis whilst I'm working away/out whatever - exactly the reason I have a video recorder

I'm sure I have seen one of the programmable remotes which does this, changing the device to the right channel at the appropriate time to record the programme. I had always thought this was a bit pointless - until now - as you could use the timer on the actual device!

I have a good mind to try to get out of my contract on the grounds it is not 'fit for purpose', but the rest of the package - especially the broadband, is excellent.
Old 08 December 2002, 06:47 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

You could get a TiVo - that can control all manner of set-top boxes. There's a forum on www.avsforums.com on which you could ask about your particular box to make sure it's covered.

A.
Old 08 December 2002, 07:12 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Why would i want TIVO??

I already have a perfectly good video recorder!

Trending Topics

Old 08 December 2002, 08:00 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

NTL Digital is a pile of poo for things like that. Its a step backwards IMHO and is lacking in some very key features. Oh well, hopefully bin it for Sky this year..........
Old 08 December 2002, 08:08 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

It would not be rocket sience to do it, You get these remotes that can control anything, all I need is one which you can use as a timer.

btw, reminders will work, but that is only good for progammes you can select off the schedule EVERY time you want to record them!
Old 08 December 2002, 08:15 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Talking

You're joking, right?

You want a TiVo because:

a) it can control your set-top box, and
b) it's much better than a video recorder

I have a video recorder too. I don't use it any more - 'nuff said.
Old 08 December 2002, 09:20 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

I have a video recoreder which is set to record all my favourite programmes, it used to do this perfectly adequately

I now have a set top box which is incapable of tuning in to the desired channel at the right time to record these channels

I would say that NTl ought to GIVE me a Tivo if that is what is required to get the frigging think to do its job!

Why on earth should I be expected to shell out for one?
Old 08 December 2002, 09:41 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Angry

oh surprise surprise NTL would like to give me the 'oportunity' to buy a TIVO for £179 plus an extra £10/month![img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Frigging conspiracy!

I think that is legal grounds to cancel my contract [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 09 December 2002, 12:46 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Talking

My Panasonic video recorder (NV-FJ615) can fire out IR to change the NTL cable box as long as you leave the cable box on. There is a long list of 3 digit codes in the instruction manual which configure the video recorder to lots of different satellite and cable boxes a bit like a universal remote control. Unfortunately there is no mention of the Pace digital box I had and I followed this up with Panasonic who told me it wouldn't work. Anyway I ended up punching in random codes even though the odds of finding the right one were about a million to one and after a few goes I got it working perfectly Never had luck like it before or since I bought my video machine a couple of years ago and it was not that expensive - probably a newer model out now. I think I made a note of the code some where if you fancy getting one?
Old 09 December 2002, 10:20 AM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Wink

My £450 Sony video is only about a year old, so I'm not looking to replace it just yet

I may need to get my 'tronics books out & build someting to attach to a PC which can record the right (RC5?) IR data then play it back to the Pace box when required. (some of the 'programmable' remotes can do this) Sounds like a good use for that spare 386 machine in the attic

I just cant understand why the Video manufacturers didn't think of this years ago (apart from Matshu****a of course! ) the Pace box has an external 'remote' connection which may require some 'investigation'
Old 09 December 2002, 11:27 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Talking

Another thing I have seen was a remote box with two big clock dials on which was aimed at old grannys who were likely to find programming the vcr too fiddly. They could just set the dials to the time, day and channel they wanted to record and the box would sort it out presumably by having its own timer and then firing the instant record signal at the right moment. I thought it looked ridiculous at the time but may be possible to set for the cable box intead? It was in the back of a newspaper or on a shopping channel - somewhere classy like that - no more details though I'm afraid.
Old 09 December 2002, 12:59 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I have enough of the 'old granny' problems with the stupid way in which you have to dial in the timer for the video with the up & down buttons rather than just punching the numbers on the remote! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Things like that REALLY wind me up - it was one thing I was glad to get be getting rid of the Analogue Set-top Box. But at least that HAD a timer!

Maybe I should get rid of the video then?

Anyone want to buy a Sony Smartfile VHS video recorder with jug/shuttle?

I just had a look at the Sony website, the new ones come with 'Cable Mouse. control capable for cable boxes and satellite receivers '
Old 09 December 2002, 01:10 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Cool

Just found this on the SONY site as well, it would do the job required but it's $200!

Universal Remote Commander® Remote Control
RM-AV3000
Old 09 December 2002, 01:17 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Cool

I think I am onto something here, apart from the 'universal remotes' you can get PDA's which learn the codes & can be programmed to act as remotes for ALL your IR remote control stuff.http://www.remotecentral.com/

I was going to get a PDA anyway so I might go that route.

I will let you all know what I find