Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone got a mobile phone with camera?

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2002, 09:48 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Its time for me to get my upgrade and im thinking of getting one of those phones with a camera.
Iv got the 8310 at the mo and im very happy with it, so this phone would be just a toy .
Dont know much about them. i know there is a Nokia 7650, Panasonic GD87 and a GX10
Had a little look at the 7650 but i think its a little thick.
anyone give us some info and if you have one wot you think of it and wot you recommend

Ray
Old 07 December 2002, 10:38 PM
ricco
Scooby Regular

Talking

Just got my Sharp GX1 today

My O2 SIM card isn't active until Tuesday though, so I'll let you know what it's like properly after i've used it for a bit....
Old 07 December 2002, 10:41 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I'd recommend buying a camera if you want to take pictures, and a phone (if you didn't already have one - which you do!) if you want to make phone calls

Sounds silly, I know, but I don't really understand these combined gadgets. Sending pictures around the phone network will be expensive, and image quality is universally poor - I've tested a lot of the camera modules designed for mobiles, and they're all crap as soon as the sun goes in. Bear this in mind if you want to go clubbing and email photos like in the ads.

A lot of marketing goes into the mobile phone business, but it's not necessarily because the latest craze is genuinely useful (remember WAP?). It's because the mobile operators are desperate to recoup the cash they spent on 3G licenses, and have to encourage people to spend money with them somehow

Andy.
Old 07 December 2002, 10:42 PM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

I have a 7650. I've yet to buy an infrared hub to allow me to download the pics so the jury's still out on the quality of the images.
Pretty straight forward to use but as you mentioned, a bit on the chunky side!
Apparently the memory isn't expandable on the 7650 so you're limited to 4MB of memory.
The new Nokia, coming out just after Xmas I believe, promises to be a better phone in the respect that it's expandable and a good bit smaller.

Paul
Old 07 December 2002, 10:45 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I have an SPV which has a camera module - I thought I'd never use it and to be honest this phone doesn't have the best for s/w for photos - if thats your only really use I'd go for the GD87, a great screen that refreshes quickly, simple software - (I nearly went for one but was offered a compelling deal on the SPV and realised that lots of features really suited me - proper outlook sync-ing, http browsing, msn messenger and expandable memory )

Of the camera phones I tried the worst was the Sony-E T68i (with camera module), but I believe that next year's P800 will change that (but will be similar in size to the 7650).

Anyway I've used the photo bit more than I ever expected - eg while shopping today my daughter thought she'd be a rapper-

Westside
Old 07 December 2002, 11:46 PM
GarnetFox
Scooby Regular

Completely off topic but...Awwwwwwwwwww!
Old 08 December 2002, 12:33 AM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Recently got a GD87 to replace my T68m. I tried the camera on the T68 and it was a bit poo. I would also be a faff carrying the extra camera thingy around.

The GD87 camera and screen both seem very good. The camera is only low res but I don't intend to use it for my holiday snaps just MMS. The phone itself is okay although after 7 years of Ericsson user-friendliness it's going to take a while to get used to it
Silly things like it doesn't auto-answer when you flip it open nor does it end the call when you close it. Bit daft.

All in all a good bit of kit though. A friend has the Nokia housebrick thing. Just too huge I'm afraid.

Trending Topics

Old 08 December 2002, 12:40 AM
RB5#295
Scooby Regular

I've had a 7650 for 10 weeks or so now. I do not see the point of picture messaging, but it's been handy to have a camera with me when I wouldn't normally a few times, but the quality is best described as 'better than nothing'.

I wanted it for Bluetooth and GPRS, which I use all the time.

Fen
Old 08 December 2002, 09:43 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Question

Apparently 40p to send a pic.
Old 08 December 2002, 10:59 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

MMS is free on Orange at the moment and GPRS access is unlimited for £6 a month.

I'm also using an SPV and have taken a few pics, but would have bought this phone if it didn't have MMS.

By the way, on the last SPV thread, someone mentioned ValueMedia. Top company. I got a 128Meg SD card for the SPV for less than £50. Arrived in two days.
Old 08 December 2002, 07:59 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

im thinking of the GD87 its a little thinner than the GX10 but it not an active flip so im still thiking.

Tell me more about this new Nokia phone please