Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Does anyone own a Dobermann?

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2002, 11:14 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Great dogs and VERY good guard dogs(imo)..Ive owned 5 over the last 20yrs and all of them have been great family dogs.

We found bitches have been easier to own and pack ranking not such a issue with bitches,more problems with male dogs.

Theres one thing we've found with dobies..They can be highly strung always on the go but it aint so bad if youre out going person,always on the go like your dog

Only recently we've changed breed after losing our female dobermann to cancer last year and bought a rottie who has been a great dog and seems MORE laid back and than our dobies but one thing is weird shes a crap guard dog but shes only 14 months so hopefully she get up and see whos at the door when she gets a bit older

But agree with Diablo,think before you go ahead and buy one.

[Edited by planky - 12/6/2002 11:18:35 PM]
Old 12 October 2002, 09:47 PM
Chelsie-Bun
Scooby Regular

Wink

Jimi

Im sharks other half. no i had one when i was in manchester, but you can buy them at any of the large pet stores or pet stores on the internet,
good luck, this sight shows you what they look like
http://discountcages.safeshopper.com/40/cat40.htm?163

this is good sight too
http://www.petstore.uk.com/rosewood.php

chel xxxx

ps dont forget to buy one bigger then the dog really needs because it's not really for the car is it?

[Edited by Chelsie-Bun - 12/10/2002 9:54:12 PM]
Old 06 December 2002, 06:31 PM
jimi
Scooby Regular

Hi Peeps

I am going to get a dobermann but i have never had one before so i do not know what to look for when getting a puppy.

I have no experance of guard dogs could anyone give me any tips?

TIAV

JIM
Old 06 December 2002, 06:35 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

The bloke who used to live across the road had one, he went out one day and it ate his setee. He got rid shortly after.
Old 06 December 2002, 06:44 PM
jimi
Scooby Regular

MJ

I think i would go nuts if my dog ate my new sofa.

JIM
Old 06 December 2002, 06:58 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

He was probably bored...
Old 06 December 2002, 08:04 PM
steve G MAN
Scooby Regular

yes mate keep well away from brown and blue if your gona get one make sure its black n tan

Trending Topics

Old 06 December 2002, 08:27 PM
Ski Ned
Scooby Regular

Cool

Out of interest, why are you getting a Doberman? They require a lot of excercise.

I've got 2 pit bulls - lazy half-wits!
Old 06 December 2002, 08:38 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Feed them raw red meat.
Old 07 December 2002, 03:00 AM
Eagle7
Scooby Regular

I'll second that. A dog of that size does take some looking after. It WILL eat/ruin at least some of your stuff, especially if it gets bored, left alone or not exercised properly. It will be a good family pet if it gets the attention, love, discipline and exercise it deserves. Some dogs are naturally more active than others. If you just want a dog to sit around looking menacing, a rotty or bull terriers might be better. I used to train labradors and at one time had 10 in the house. It certainly made people think before coming into my garden!

and remember: A dog is for life not just for christmas!
Old 07 December 2002, 03:39 AM
Mufasa
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I love Doberman's, every one I've come across has been a lovely dog, though a story my mate told me a few weeks ago has me a little concerned.

Mate ended up in casualty after coming of his mountain bike. While waiting got talking to the bloke next to him, who had brought his mate in. A 25ish year old bloke who was playing at home with his young Doberman when it turned on him and bit him in the face. He had a broken jaw and 1/2 his nose and top lip missing. He had had the dog from a pup, was absolutely devoted to it, had played with him like this loads of times before. Just this time the dog had gone for him.

I have no idea what the guy was doing to the dog, and of course any dog may turn on you if you are teasing it. However I do believe with certain breeds there is a greater risk of it going for you or someone else regardless of how you bring it up. It is why different breeds come about in the 1st place, for their different characteristics.

Other things to consider is how will it be with other people?
What if you have to ask someone else to look after it, while you are away for a few days?
What if next doors horrible little brat grabs it by the *****?

The Doberman might be fine, but I'll bet a Labrador is more likely to be...
Old 07 December 2002, 11:18 AM
andym172
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Sorry to go a little off topic but you'll probably find that any large dog in the house is going to be a deterrent.

We've got a male Golden Retriever who is unusually large for his breed (probably about the same size as a female St Bernard). He's a soft as anything - whenever I'm at home I'll always have a good fight with him. 50% of the time he manages to pin me to the floor but will never go any further.

He won't allow anybody he doesn't know to approach my mum if they're out, and basically gives us the peace of mind that he's going to look after out property if we go out.

So I'd recommend that you give thought to a few other breeds before deciding - training a dog when young is pretty important IMO, some dogs are easier (read more intelligent) to train than others
Old 07 December 2002, 02:23 PM
jimi
Scooby Regular

Old 07 December 2002, 02:26 PM
jimi
Scooby Regular

Old 07 December 2002, 02:38 PM
jimi
Scooby Regular

Hi guys

Thank you all for your replys it has been good of you to take the time.

As you can see i have posted 2 pics of some dogs that i have owned and i will post some more of the others when i get the time.

The 4 dogs that i have had have all been bullmastiffs.My last dog died about 5 months ago.

I am looking for a loyal dog that will protect me and my home,i am a single guy with no childern.I am a tradesmen so i want a dog that can come to work with me,this is why i am thinking of a dobby.

I have heard a lot of bad storys about dobermanns so that is why my barriers are up.

JIM
Old 07 December 2002, 02:52 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

This is my dream dog to be..!!!

Dan
Old 07 December 2002, 03:02 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Thought of a Boxer ?

Tend not to be too vocal (varries from dog to dog though)
mad as a brush, good laugh and as loyal as anything !!

I have 2 (2 1/2 yr bitch and 6mnth dog) and would have more if only my garden was big enough
If you want any more info on the breed feel free to drop me a line.

Paul

check out my gallery on boxerworld.com
Old 07 December 2002, 04:22 PM
jimi
Scooby Regular

PG

A great site thanks for that.

When i was a kid my mum and dad had a boxer and to say it was mad would be an under statement.

JIM
Old 07 December 2002, 04:57 PM
AliWrx
Scooby Regular

PG
We just bought a boxer puppy and get him in a fortnight. Would be insterested in your experiences with the breed. Mail me off line if you like. I too have regsitered on www.boxerworld.com so have been getting some good advice from there.
We had a German Shepard for five years until October when he sadly died of cancer :sad:
Gourgeous dogs by the way in your gallery, can't wait to get ours!

Jimi,
Agree with what everyone has said on here about dogs needing training from day one and you must have the time to spend with them or yes they will eat your sofa.
Always best to but from a breeder as well so you can see the parents as this will give you some clue to the dogs temeprement.
Good Luck
Ali
Old 08 December 2002, 12:20 PM
jimi
Scooby Regular

Hi Ali

There is one thing that puts me off getting a dog big time and that is when the poor dog has to be put to sleep for what ever reason and when it just dies.

When any of my dogs have died i must admit that it broke my hart,it was worse than breaking up with any ex girlfriends,people say that a dog is mans best friend! That is so true.

Kind regards

JIM
Old 08 December 2002, 12:50 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Our first Boxer died at the age of 7 months due to aeortic stenosis (sp). We were out for a walk and then let her have a wee run about where upon she slowed right down, stopped and just lay down. Her tounge ect were all grey so I knew that there was a prob with her heart so I ran back to the house to get the car however I was 1/2 way back to the park when I came across my girlfriend lying, crying holding the pup on the pavement
As you say it is a heart breaker however I must say that I wouldnt be without a dog now.

Paul
Old 08 December 2002, 12:55 PM
AliWrx
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Jimi,
I understand exactly what you are saying. When Fred died in October this year both my wife and i were devistated. It was just like loosing a member of the family and even now is still a very astrange feeling in the house. Everywhere is so quiet.
Still life goes on and im hoping our new puppy will bring back some of what is missing.
Good Luck with you puppy hunting.
Ali
Old 08 December 2002, 11:59 PM
jimi
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys

Well my situation is this i am a self employed tradesmen,i am single with no childern.

All of my dogs used to love coming to work with me, they loved my van.They used to look after my van and also my house although they had no aggresion at all,but no one would break in due to bullmastiffs being in charge,they would not say boo to a ghost really.

I have a house so it feels so quiet being by myself so a dog will keep me company they are always there for you.
I believe that dobermanns are really loyal and they would put off any burglers so it will pay for its self.

Cheers

JIM
Old 09 December 2002, 10:57 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Talking

Jimi,

I've deleated my earlier post - took you the wrong way - possibly beer goggles

Anyway, you are clearly familiar with big dogs, so thats

If you are not sure about a Doberman, have you thought about a Rottie?

Easily trained, loyal, loving, protective and will be as good a deterrant as any other dog would be.

D

Old 09 December 2002, 11:10 AM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Smile

Jim,

I grew up with Dobermann and have to say they are fantastic dogs. It is certainly true that they need to be well trained and have 'pack order' instilled in them.

Worth bearing in mind if you want a smaller Dobermann, there is the Tavey strain, which were originally bred for showing. Our last two were Tavey black and tans, the eldest of which died aged 18.

Here is a story which I think contains some useful information:-

Many years ago (before I was even thought of) my parents lived in a remote house on the river (no road access etc.,..) My dad wanted a dog to look after my mum when he wasn't there and at that time he had the head of Securicor's dog unit as a patient and asked him if he could find him a 'safe' German Shepherd. After hearing why my dad wanted the dog he explained that he could not recommend a German Shepherd as although they are fantastic dogs he could never tell which dogs would at some point turn on their handler. He recommended my parents get a Dobermann as in this guys time training Dobermann only two had turned on thier handlers, and one was discovered to have been abused by said handler and the other one discovered to have a brain tumour.

He went on to explain why they used more German Shepherd and only a few Dobermann. You can take a well trained German Shepherd to a site and it will guard it, a Dobermann takes the attitude 'its not my building site why should I guard it' the other side of this is they are very loyal and will guard their own home and family without question.

So this guy got my parents a Dobermann and later trained it for them. After it had been trained my parents were invited to pick it up from Securicor's dog centre and a little show was put on for them. Firstly they sent both a German Shepherd and my parents' Dobermann round an agility course and both dogs did it perfectly. Then some parts of the agilty course were altered. A section was removed from the centre of a wall and one or two other obstructions moved. The trainer then explained he was going to demonstrate a key difference between the breeds. First he sent the German Shepherd off again and it did the course perfectly again and exactly as before. Then he sent the Dobermann off and when it came to the wall it went through the hole rather than jumping over and wherever an obstacle had been altered it took the easier path. The point he was making was although you can train a Dobermann they are very intelligent and think for themselves. This is not meant to be rude about German Shepherds by the way, I know several and think they are fantastic dogs as well, just realting the story as it has been told to me.

That first dog was a male but we subsequently have always had bitches. on the subject of kids grabbing them where they shouldn't, when our eldest one was about 16 or 17 (and she was a bit grouchy with other dogs at that age) my nieces were playing with her and one grabbed her in a place that would not be recommended, the dog whipped round and we were a bit worried even though she had never gone for anyone but needless to say as soon as she saw it was a child and not one of the puppies we had at the same time she relaxed again and carried on playing with the kids.

Anyway I could go on but this already a stupidly long post but hope it helps

Regards

Robin

[Edited by RobinSherwood - 12/9/2002 11:12:20 AM]

[Edited by RobinSherwood - 12/9/2002 11:15:12 AM]
Old 09 December 2002, 07:14 PM
jimi
Scooby Regular

Hi Robin

Thanks a lot for your post mate it was great to read your story.I will keep you all posted as to how my new dog goes,i may get a puppy or a rescue dog but i will have to wait and see.

JIM
Old 09 December 2002, 07:44 PM
jimi
Scooby Regular

Old 09 December 2002, 09:33 PM
Chelsie-Bun
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi
Invest in a dog cage a big one, i had one for a cross i used to have.
The cage is big to have a bed at one end and toys and paper at the other.
It will save you a lot of money on repairs, dogs can be really bad for the first 18 months, the cage is like there den the dog will get to love it and when is a little older it uses it like its den.
So when the dog is older you can sell it or let the dog use it like its den

Chel xxx
Old 09 December 2002, 11:02 PM
jimi
Scooby Regular

chel

Have you got a dog cadge for sale? if so what,when and how much?where in herts are you?

You got a doggie?

JIM
Old 10 December 2002, 10:47 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

they were certainly grand lookin dogs mate

Dog crates !!! Excellent things !!! not to be looked at as a cage but as a 'safe space' for your dog and an area they like to go to for peace and quiet.

Quick Reply: Does anyone own a Dobermann?