Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Driving Test Question???

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2002, 09:18 PM
j.r-xrs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had my test today, had a little blip and failed, only 5 minors though.

I was failed for flashing 2 other drivers to tell them to proceed, the most annoying thing however is that I haven’t got a clue what I should be doing instead?

Does anybody know how or if I should be signalling to other drivers?

Cheers

[Edited by j.r-xrs - 12/4/2002 10:17:17 PM]
Old 04 December 2002, 09:20 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Flashing other drivers is a means of making them aware of you being there, NOT that they can proceed!
Old 04 December 2002, 09:23 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think examiners like any kind of DIY signalling. Don't know the right answer, but I guess it is drive according to the rules of priority. If it's yours, barge in, if not, wait politely.

Old 04 December 2002, 10:22 PM
ChrisB

Highway Code says you shouldn't assume a flash is a signal to proceed. Even though it is in 90% of the time these days...

Best to be seen as a miserable bugger on your test and not let people out.
Old 04 December 2002, 11:46 PM
BCA
Scooby Regular

Theres something to do with priorities, if not, you should aim to get eye contact and react in a suitable manner. This in my opinion is alot more dangerous than flashing someone, but still.

I have just passed my theory test (with hazard perception) so am chuffed, just waiting for a driving test cancellation within the month, then its my turn.

got 34/35 in the theory test and 60/75 in Hazard perception. Still smiling now, one step closer...
Old 05 December 2002, 12:42 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Flashing your lights has only one meaning - it warns other road users of your presence (same as sounding your horn).
The Highway Code sets out the rules for who has priority and you should stick to these. If you are driving in traffic and somebody tries to take priority when it is not theirs, you should let them, where it is safe to do so. This shouldn't be too much of problem because if they're coming out of a sideroad into a queue of traffic you should have stopped leaving the junction clear and they'd be able to pull out in front of you anyway.
I personally hate it when people flash or try to give priority out of turn as it just confuses things, and is more likely to cause an accident. Also, it can be confusing who you're flashing (personal experience - I flashed someone for not having their headlights on at night, and a car pulled out ahead of me and I nearly hit them...)
"Being nice" to other drivers doesn't necessarily make you a better driver, nor a safer one.
Old 05 December 2002, 12:45 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

What they said.

If you flash your lights at someone and they then take that turn and have an accident, they can technically sue you. Flashing your lights tells people that you are there and is not an indication for them to proceed.