Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Origin Blue owners - beware?

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2002, 05:09 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

As I hadn't done it for a while I decided to plug in the Origin modem and download the latest info. After a while up came a message to contact Origin - bugger! my initial 6 month subscription is up and I've got to fork out 50 quid for a year, fair enough - so far.
I decided that as I would be unlikely to travel areas unknown to me certainly this side of the new year, I would phone them and buy the new subscription maybe Feb. or March and live with the existing information in the unit. Having plugged the thing in today all I get is "NO DATA - PERFORM DOWNLOAD" It seems all the information stored has been wiped! I can't remember seeing this in the instruction book? So instead of being satisfied with the stored info. for a while I've got precisely F*** all!
Did Origin do this when I tried the last download or has the unit got its own clock? Either way I'm a bit P***** off!
Before I contact Origin has anyone else experienced this? If you were one of the group buy back in early summer - beware of attempting a download.
JohnD
Old 04 December 2002, 06:40 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm, not good at all.If the information inside the unit is timed to wipe itself clean every 12mths then i`ll definatly not be buying one!

Rich
Old 10 August 2006, 12:23 PM
eXOBeX
Scooby Newbie

Mine does this as well. Messing about by linking it to a PC with a modem cable, I've found that if it only downloads bank 4 (the first camera bank) it's fine. If it's also told to download bank 5 as well (the second camera bank, which wasn't used at first) it gets stuck in a "NO DATA PERFORM DOWNLOAD" loop.

Does ANYONE have an original Origin Blue i with an up-to-date database, or have they all fallen foul of this fault? If they have, could there be a potential claim of "not fit for purpose" under our statutory rights?

Got a second one off eBay with a faulty display (surprise surprise, my original one failed 3 times), will swap the display over and perform an update off my PC. If this doesn't work, I'll repost here.
Old 10 August 2006, 12:25 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, not sure if my B2 did this as I had to pay for another year recently.

What annoys me is the software is complete and utter tripe. I have to reinstall the lot every time I want to update it! Worthless piece of crap, feel like reverse engineering it and writing my own.
Old 11 August 2006, 02:07 PM
Nick100
Scooby Regular

I did see in an email from them that if you don't keep the subscription continuous they will charge you a reconnection fee.

It's a bit naughty if they scrub the database after a time period - but a vague memory tells me this might be the case !

Sure there would be some legal comeback if they try that - like a car manufacturer programming your car to stop if you didn't have it serviced at a main dealer