Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

BBC Holiday program tees me off!

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2002, 12:34 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it just me or is anyone else continually pi**ed off when they see B anc C list celebs being paid to stay in expensive hotels around the world on the holiday programme? When there are thousands of 'ordinary' folk who could report just as well and get a holiday they couldnt normally afford out of it. This is waste of license payers money!!!

Thoughts anyone?

Gary

Old 03 December 2002, 12:38 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Do you also dislike programs like Top Gear, where the BBC spends loads of money hiring and insuring (and fuelling) ludicrously expensive motoring exotica, which is almost certainly out of the reach of 99% of the population?

Most of the times I've watched it, the holidays have been around a grand - not out of the reach of most people by any means. The 'dream' holidays which they show also give some inspiration to people who want to widen their horizons, and usually only cost 3k or thereabouts - not prohobitive for most people once in a lifetime.
Old 03 December 2002, 12:48 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Marko,

Just thinking about last nite, Arabella weir is it? staying at hotel which is 2200 for 7 nights bed and breakfast. My point is these people could afford this without subsidy *not* the same as top gear. I see your point and aspirations are great, there are still many that will never get anywhere near to affording these dreams. Anyway on TG surely they dont pay? Jezza just phones up and says give us of one of them???

Gary
Old 03 December 2002, 12:53 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Just thinking about last nite, Arabella weir is it? staying at hotel which is 2200 for 7 nights bed and breakfast.
So? In the context of the BBC's expenditure, 2 grand is absolutely nothing. If you want to complain, why not start a thread about the cost of Fame Academy?

I see your point and aspirations are great, there are still many that will never get anywhere near to affording these dreams.
So what? There are probably many who couldn't afford the ingredients that Delia uses in some of her recipes. There are plenty who can't afford to go out and buy CDs every week. But should we ban cookery programs and Top of the Pops? (actually, I'd happily see TotP banned, but that's another thread ). I bet there are just as many (if not more) who watch these programs and can afford the holidays shown.
Anyway on TG surely they dont pay? Jezza just phones up and says give us of one of them???
I suspect that the insurance costs, the cost of the track hire, etc., etc., is as substantial (if not more so) than the costs incurred on Holiday.
Old 03 December 2002, 12:54 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

What about those b*stards who read the news? I mean, Trevor McDoughnut must get paid a fortune to do that job, and I reckon an unemployed labourer (providing he could read ) would do it just as well

And what about that git Steve Rider? He gets to go to Augusta every year to see the US Masters and he doesn't even commentate: just has a chat with a few of the golfers. I could do that, and it's not like he couldn't afford to go there anyway
Old 03 December 2002, 12:59 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yeah - and those overpaid football presenters get sent to the world cup every year, and I'm not interested in the sport at all. Perhaps we should ban all sports coverage, on the basis that some people might not be interested in that sport, or able to afford to play it themselves.
Old 03 December 2002, 01:33 PM
turboteeth10
Scooby Newbie

football presenters get sent to the world cup every year
I don't think so...

What hacks me off is all these new BBC channels that license payers pay for but can't access because they have terrestrial services only (like me). Wht should I have to pay an additional subsription to see the channels I'm already funding?[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

As for Fame Acadamy - don't get me started on that one [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 03 December 2002, 01:44 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Wht should I have to pay an additional subsription to see the channels I'm already
I guess for the same reason that people who have Sky subscriptions and never watch BBC channels still have to pay for a TV licence. And the same reason that people who drive 50k miles a year pay the same amount for a 'vehicle licence disc' as people who drive to the church and back once a week.
Old 03 December 2002, 01:57 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

ok ok, so money is being wasted left right and centre!

Some guy has started a campaign to stop the BBC forcing licensing costs on people hasn't he?
Old 03 December 2002, 01:58 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

btw it was 2 grand ROOM ONLY!!!!
Old 03 December 2002, 02:00 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Angry

don't think so...
Okay, so I've just proven I'm not an expert.
What hacks me off is all these new BBC channels that license payers pay for but can't access because they have terrestrial services only (like me).
And me. But what hacks me off even more are the new radio channels (BBC Asian, and BBC Xtra - 'promoting black music'). FFS. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] What's the betting that if I suggested we have a radio station specifically funded and targetted to promote white music, I'd be had up for racism and accused of being a member of the BNP. Makes my blood boil. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 03 December 2002, 02:02 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

btw it was 2 grand ROOM ONLY!!!!
That's okay, I imagine the BBC sent a catering crew along, too.
Old 03 December 2002, 02:04 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I also imagine that they just filmed the room rather than actually staying in it, and indeed the said hotel gave it away free for the publicity anyways if they did stay their
Old 03 December 2002, 05:43 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wht should I have to pay an additional subsription to see the channels I'm already funding?--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't anymore - the new Freeview service has started. "Free" is a good clus as to what you need to pay to get this 30 channel package, with perfect widescreen picture and digital sound quality. You need either a TV with a built-in digital decoder (most higher-end TV's have this now - they have the DVB logo on) or a set-top decoder box for £100, which has no need for after-purchase subscriptions (like OnDigital/ITV Digital did). You just plug in your normal ariel and hey-presto!