Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New car or move house?

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2002, 11:22 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

At some point over the next 3-4 years I want to move house... I have some cash at the moment and wonder what the views on house prices over this period is going to be.

I'd be interested on views about house prices as if they are likely to fall I'll hold fire and probably buy another car! I'd like to move from my 4 bed terrace to detached house with double garage etc, but at the moment the kind of house I'd move to are ~£250k (Not looking at dear areas and probably houses that need a little work), my house is probably only worth ~£150k, but with lots of equity, the question is are these houses likely to increase in value or are prices due a drop... I wouldn't like a massive mortgage so new car and house aren't going to happen together!

Whilst I realise a car will depreciate, I'd enjoy it, and choose well to minimise depreciate, but then currently I don't have a garage

So any thoughts on house prices? Have they peaked or will they continue to rise for a while? Am I better off just biting the bullet and moving now so that I don't suffer from more house price rises?

Cheers
Old 29 November 2002, 11:29 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

I thought house prices were about to drop - as I couldnt see it continuing as it has been.

BUT, news today is mortgages are UP prices are still UP spending is UP - so I may be wrong

I STILL think house prices are looking for a fall, all you need is a rise of say 3% on interest rates, consumer credit to drop, unemployment to increase and you have a collapse. Not sure when - but it MUST happen as night follows day

Pete