Advice pleae re not having car tax

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2002, 12:37 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

in behalf of a friend of mine, honest!

Q1)Does anyone know what age/year of cars qualify for classic car tax status, i think it is pre 1973.

OK a friend of mine has lost his licence, he has a couple of cars - all off of the road, parked up in garages. One of his cars, a 1980 BMW Baur conv. was being worked on for it's MOT by a mobile mechanic, the mechanic rolled it out of the garge into the street and left it tere for a couple of hours. during this time he got a ticket for not having road tax. Now i know the car should not have been in/on the public highway but is it worth him trying to fight it as it was not being used as such just rolled out of his gargage whislt the mechaic was working on another of his cars.

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Paul
Old 13 November 2002, 12:44 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

You'll only get away with it if it has been previously declared SORN at the DVLA.

Yes, it's well before 1980 for classic status.

But, it's only a £40 fine or thereabouts, so take it as a slap on the wrist. You can't really hold the mechanic responsible, unless he was specifically asked not to leave it on a public road, IMO.
Old 13 November 2002, 01:19 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

If the vehicle was untaxed, it is a £40 fine plus payment of back duty to when the vehicle was last taxed, unless there was a SORN notification completed.

If the vehicle was untaxed & UNINSURED, you could be Really, Really lucky and get away with a caution, if you are unlucky, you will end up with 6 points on an IN10 classification and a £350 fine, don't ask how I know[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Just explain to me how I could be using a vehicle whilst uninsured, when the ******* thing had no engine, gearbox or front wheels[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] or was it just because the neighbour who reported it was well in with the local police inspector[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

It is all dependant on who issued the ticket & whether you need to produce any documentation for inspection.
Old 13 November 2002, 10:17 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

as for the classic car tax(historic vehicle) it must be registered before something like 1972,i think to get the free tax. as for being parked on the road for an hour or so i think he`s buggered, your word against his so to speak.
regards mike
Old 13 November 2002, 10:45 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

It is after 1973, cos we had classic tax on our old 1973 Beetle

Contrary to popular belief, you do have to actually display a tax disc as well - it just says exempt on it. We know, cos we got done for not having the exempt disc - wrote to them and explained that we didnt realise and they let us off
Old 13 November 2002, 11:14 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

If the car has no tax and its on a public highway, whether you have sent off a SORN or not, im sure your still gonna get hit.

Have you not seen the adverts, your lucky it hasnt benn taken away and crushed!!

John
Old 14 November 2002, 12:33 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

30 years for exempt tax. pay the 40 quid and keep quiet. Over here they clamp immediately and don't let it off until you pay a £120.00, pay the back tax and pay 40 quid a day until its sorted. Our MOT system is different as well. You have to take the car to a DoT centre to get and MOT, and you can't get tax without the MOT cert. My mate got clamped for tax, applied for the MOT but couldn't get an appointment for 4 weeks (this is normal in Belfast.) Ended up costing him over 1300 quid to get the car unclamped. If your car isn't worth the fine and you simply forget about it they will follow it up with CC action, adding 40 a day all the time.
Old 14 November 2002, 01:01 AM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

I would just pay the £40.

Its a pain but not the end of the world.
Old 14 November 2002, 06:07 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the repies

Paul