All this talk of speeding fines.

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2002, 02:27 PM
Clare
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm really, really sorry for you all.

But. Surely, you have to be aware of the speed limits? Look up the highway code if in any doubt.

I live in Northampton and I am very aware that at ANY time I could get caught if I am speeding. I try and do under 35 mph on all of the silly 30 mph dual carriageways we have in the town and 30 mph on single carriageway roads. I do about 25 mph past speed cameras (just to make sure!) I wouldn't dare do over 30 mph in MY residential area due to the amount of kids playing football or whatever and as I am a parent, I myself would not like to be told that my child had been run over.

I am no saint. I do however try and keep to a limit of 80 mph on motorways and hate speed cameras and the police who are so obviously penalising the motorist. I am a member of the ABD which is trying to raise limits on motorways, stop so many bus lanes being built etc. etc.

It's I'm afraid, a case of be more aware of the road and conditions around you and if a sign says 30, then do 30 or a damn sight closer to it than 40 mph.

This is all IMHO of course and I am ready for flaming.

Your comments?

Thanks
Clare
Clean driving licence for 12 years, no points, no fines........

P.s. if you have the need for speed, pay a few quid and get yourself to a track day. Don't try and prove you are Michael Shumacher in your local housing estate.
Old 02 November 2002, 02:37 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I like the way you do 30 in YOUR residential area. What about everyone else's ??

Residential speed limits should be obeyed at all times, the others are just tosh. If some-one speeds in non-residential areas, good on them! However, if they get caught they know the score.

I think most of the speeding related posts are trying to gauge exactly what fine to expect. Not really a "awww please feel sorry for me". Although in some cases it's obvious that a bit of compassion IS needed, as some of the speedlimits, and moreover the way they are policed are stupid.

Not a flame at you, just putting my POV over.

Andy
Old 02 November 2002, 02:41 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

clare- dont waste your time with common sense here.

T
Old 02 November 2002, 02:57 PM
cookiemonster
Scooby Regular

yep - agree totally

it cracks me up that someone is done for drink driving, and the general opinion is that they should be shot, yet someone is done for speeding and its government revenue generating.

Safety-based rules always have a level of ambiguity - I (although I never do) my be ok to drive after 5 units of alcohol, but my wife would be dangerous after 2. Yet she's legal to drive and I'm not.

In almost all areas of life we accept the fact that clear lines have to drawn through grey areas - thats the way society works; yet when we come to speeding there's a mass rejection of common sense.
Old 02 November 2002, 03:04 PM
Clare
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I like the way you do 30 in YOUR residential area
I didn't actually say I didn't obey the speed limit in other residential areas, I was merely pointing out that we have to be aware in any residential area.

I agree that some speed limits are too low. I mentioned the dual carriageway 30 mph limit roads we have in Northampton. They used to be 40 from what I can gather, and as a result, when the speed cameras went up, loads of people found themselves with NIPs on the doorstep.

I am just trying to get across the fact that yes, it may be unfair that speed limits are there and they're too low, but you know they're there, you do over the limit, be prepared for the consequences!

This is all in my opinion. I was just trying to stop the glorification of speeding and "what will I get" attitude. The system is unfair when someone gets a different fine or ban for doing the same as your mate's sister's brother-in-law's boss, but that's life. Some people have the money for SKY didgital, some don't. Some people have a good education and work hard and some don't. It's life, it's unfair, but that's the way it is.
Old 02 November 2002, 03:11 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Sorry, just the way you said it made you look like one of these people that overtake me in 30's thru villages, i then catch them up again in the NSL, and this goes on for a few villages. Then miraculously, they are doing 30 in a village... then they turn off onto their drive... !!!

Old 02 November 2002, 05:33 PM
Clare
Scooby Regular

Talking

I was just trying to point out that rules are there, like it or not. Obey them, or accept the consequences.

Points on your licence are beginning to become like a "trophy" to be proud of.

I have a totally clean licence and am proud of it. Surely that's the trophy that should be shown off?

Trending Topics

Old 02 November 2002, 05:46 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

i was the same till i got busted doing more than 60 on a straight open road in the middle of nowhere, with visibility for at leas 1-2miles. There was a police bike hiding behind a hedge on the entrance to a field, who timed me past 2 marks.

It was perfectly safe, but there we go 3 points. Yet people in residential areas are largely left alone to speed.

Now i can sympathise with the anger some people have surrounding the circumstances that they were caught. BUT that's the law and there it is - i knew i was speeding, and i knew there was a possibility of being caught. And yes i still speed on the motorway and NSL, when it is clear.

Simple fact is its easy. Catching rapists and murderers etc is not. It requires a team of detectives etc, not just some-one sitting around at the side of the road.

Andy
Old 02 November 2002, 05:59 PM
Clare
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I am sounding so self righteous here I know. I apologise. If I get caught for doing 3 mph over the limit, I will be gutted, but at the end of the day, it's the punishment for the crime.

Andy, I agree. Murders and rapes take time to solve and don't bring any revenue. I mean, how can the Chief get his new Jag from those sort of crimes?

We all agree that speeding fines, cameras and bobbies hiding behind bushes is unfair. But, we know the score.
Old 02 November 2002, 06:06 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Surely some speed limits in places should be lowered where as others should be increased..........

If you beleive there is something wrong with the present law of the road (which we have to obey or pay the consequence)then write to your MP or better still join..

The Association of British Drivers http://www.abd.org.uk

Moaning won't change things, doing something will.........

J
Old 02 November 2002, 06:13 PM
Clare
Scooby Regular

Talking

I did join the ABD recently I agree with what they have to say and their site is both informative and amusing.
Old 03 November 2002, 12:03 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Clare..just for clarificaion..u drive a scooby AND still keep within all these limits??
You MUST be a saint!
Old 03 November 2002, 12:06 PM
Clare
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

No, I don't drive a Scoob, but used to on occasion. Did keep to the limits then - in 30 mph limits, especially when near speed camera sites

I drive and Astra SRi day-to-day, so it's not that difficult to keep to the limit! I also have driven Dave's 944 turbo which is faster than the Scoob and still have managed not to be too naughty.

All I was trying to get across is that people should be more aware of speed limits and not get caught and whinge when they do. They broke the law and got caught, fair enough.