Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

advice needed to get my money back

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2002, 03:24 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just found out that a standing order has been coming from my bank account for a property i was renting earlier this year. The order should have been cancelled 3 months ago so i've actually paid 3 months lease for a property i don't actually rent.

I contacted the Estate agents and they said i'll have to go directly to the landlord as it was their account that my money was transfered to. I have been unable to get a hold of the landlord so far and i have a feeling that i'm going to have a hard time getting my money back.

My rent was fully paid up when i left the property and i served the notice period as required in the contract. Whats the best way to get my money back. (the landlord is 220 miles away from where i live now so going round to get it is not an option)
Old 30 October 2002, 03:30 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
Tell your bank. They should be able to help you recover it. Also, get back in touch with the agents. They were acting on the landlords behalf and yours. Don't let them fob you off. Write them a letter. If you get no response or one you aren't happy with then advise them in writing that you are going to seek legal advice from a solicitor. Follow through the threat as well!!! Good luck
Old 30 October 2002, 03:35 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

Marty, i got a similar thing, its just that the landlord wanted to let out the property before my notice period, so he owed me the difference.

The ****** dragged his heels a bit, but eventually coughed up, when i threatened the letting agents, as it was their account the money went to first!!!

they are all scum mate, but you should be OK.

Be persistant in your rights!!!

i repeat....for effect.. they are ALL scum!!!

good luck

BB
Old 30 October 2002, 03:42 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

BB,

I think that happened here too. I got a job down here in Yorkshire so i had to move out at a weeks notice. I paid up the 2 months rent to cover the notice period and moved out. I think they had someone else move in a few weeks later.

By the sounds of it they owe me the 3 months rent i've paid since then plus the final months rent as they had someone else in the house while i was still paying for it. I think i'll be bringing that up with the estate agent too...

Did you go through a lawyer or your bank to get reimbursed or did you just shout down the phone a lot?
Old 30 October 2002, 03:44 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I've had this happen a couple of times - an insurance policy that I decided not to renew, but ended up paying for 3 months anyway, and an Impreza (well, the finance) which I sold to a dealer, but the finance didn't get cleared and so the DD never stopped.

I always cancel a direct debit the moment I think it's complete nowadays, as you can never rely on the beneficiary to get it right. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]