Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

BBC sacked Angus Deayton the ********s

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2002, 12:10 AM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Lets all support Angus, as Have I got News for you will never be the same again witout him.Have Your say

It's his life who give a **** what he has done in his private life
who cares, I know it's more ammo for Paul and Ian but that's what makes the show it's all about taking the ***s out of people

P***ed off Huxley [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 30 October 2002, 12:12 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Gotta agree mate... didn't really matter who they were having a go at on the show. It was aways funny and without a doubt, one of the most entertaining programs on TV. Deaton was a big part of that. I doubt it'll be the same without him. I think the BBC have made a big mistake getting rid of him.
Old 30 October 2002, 12:31 AM
Captain Sensible
Scooby Regular

Angry

So you think it's ok to (allegedly) cheat on your partner, take drugs and have sex with prostitutes as long as you have a bit of talent and can make people laugh?

I personally don't, nor do I want to live in a world where that would be acceptable...

CS
Old 30 October 2002, 12:38 AM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

I dont think his private life had anything to do with his job, he did it well, so they shouldnt have sacked him.
Old 30 October 2002, 12:39 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Unhappy

Its a dam shame

I loved Have I got News for You

Old 30 October 2002, 12:40 AM
Captain Sensible
Scooby Regular

Talking

Jason,

Fair point...a few of us tonight were having a laugh and most said his problem was getting caught...

I got kids to think about, I would never want them to be over protected, but do you see where I'm coming from?

CS
Old 30 October 2002, 12:43 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink

do you see where I'm coming from?
and you had a go at Angus for his sexual behavior!
Old 30 October 2002, 12:45 AM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

CS, fair point, and if he was a kids TV presenter, like that blue peter guy, I'd see why they sacked him, but this is an adult comedy, showed after the watershed on a Friday and Saturday night, so I dont see why his private life is any concern.
Old 30 October 2002, 01:36 AM
Mycroft
Scooby Regular

quote;
Lets all support Angus
unquote.

Let's not, let us instead savour the moment when a smug arrogant condescending non-ebrity gets a kicking for doing what he so readily sneered at when 'in favour'.

Let us enjoy the thought that he this evening is suffering (I really hope so anyway) at this time.

If you are arrogant and up yourself enough to be seen on the 'chrystal bucket' as much as that git then you are a prime target for a damn good come up'ence.

Savour the moment, enjoy it, another useless member of society shown to be worthless.

Just my opinion you understand.

[Edited by Mycroft - 10/30/2002 1:37:54 AM]
Old 30 October 2002, 01:46 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

CS,

I have to admit to having done most of those things myself. I'm in no position to critisize Angus Deaton for them.

He chose his own lifestlye for himself... good luck to him. I personally would like to have seen him still hosting the show for the pure and simple reason that he was good at it.

Whether he continued to do the show or not, his personal life would have absolutely no influence on my kid. If it wasn't him on the front page of the papers then it'd be someone else.

Marty
Old 30 October 2002, 02:14 AM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Wink

Fookin ell

Well it's after the watershed who give a to$$ whats happened it was one of the comedy show on TV.

That hit a nerve

Huxley

Old 30 October 2002, 07:44 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

The Beeb didn't actually have the nuts to sack him though.

They've taken him off Have I got news... but 'will consider him for other projects'. That really is pathetic. They should have sacked him outright, or left him alone.

IMHO, although I love the programme, he was asking for it really. After he'd promised the Beeb that there were no more skeletons hiding in his cupboard, I suppose they had to be seen to be doing something about it.

Josh
Old 30 October 2002, 07:55 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

TBH I think they did the right thing. The programme's supposed to be about ripping the **** out of the news, not the host. AD made the show because of his kind of unflappable deadpan impartiality.

And to think: I remember the first series when it was on BBC2
Old 30 October 2002, 08:27 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Angus is a smug, self-centred idiot who revelled in taking the **** out of others for misdemeanors far less than his own. The issue, IMO, is not the adultery or the use or prostitutes - that's his business. It's the drugs that are the issue for me.

Frankly, anyone publicly proven to be a regular cocaine user should not be fronting a popular TV show such as this.

The show is bigger than him, as Merton and Hislop will no doubt prove during the recording tomorrow night.
Old 30 October 2002, 08:32 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

For me, it'd be the gross hypocracy of him continuing that would make the show unworkable. People in glass houses 'n' all that...

Old 30 October 2002, 08:40 AM
DreXeL
Scooby Regular

So who could replace him? For me he's part of the show, I can't see it working with anyone else. Jonathan Ross maybe?
Old 30 October 2002, 08:45 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Indeed. How you can have someone sneering at guests/taking the **** out of people being featured etc when hes being exposed for doing some of those same things he criticised others for - I dont know.

Funny but smug and arrogant and now shown to be a hypocrite.

Deano
Old 30 October 2002, 08:45 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Paul Merton's hosting the show tomorrow, but there's talk of either Stephen Fry (gets my vote), Matthew Parris (would also be good) and a couple of others.

I reckon Jeremy Paxman could be good for the role, too.
Old 30 October 2002, 08:58 AM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Wink

We don't want any of those to$$ers. We want Angus back!

Stephen Fry? Oh yeah he's an angel too!!! NOT!

Jeremy Paxman? Twahhh... he should stick to Puniversity Challenge!

Huxley
Old 30 October 2002, 09:03 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I don't see what's so special about Angus.

All of his stuff is scripted (and not soley written by him). 99% of the funny stuff in the program comes from Merton/Hislop and the guests - as Paul M said last week, if Angus is having trouble being the straight man and just reading the autocue, it's time to get somebody else in.

Let's be honest, when Christina Hamilton can have a pop at him and he can't even think of a witty comeback, it's time to get somebody else to host the show.
Old 30 October 2002, 09:31 AM
skipjack
Scooby Regular

it's interesting that angus deayton should be fired following a tabloid honey trap and continuous tabloid pursuit and yet johnny vaughan, who did six months inside for dealing coke following arrest by the police and trial by the judiciary, should still be in a job.

i don't recall deayton's alleged drug misdemenours being proven in a court of law - just a court of lowest common denominator journalism.

remarkable double standards by a confused and typically hypocritical BBC.

good luck to him: i hope he lands a corker of a job on commercial TV.
Old 30 October 2002, 09:33 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Although I cant stand them - I do admire (in a bizaree way) how the Hamiltons come out fighting every time and have refused to simply disappear. They have used the media's need to have people to vilify to perpetuate their existence in the public eye more or less ensuring the Media have acaheived the exact opposite of what they wanted to do.

Deano
Old 30 October 2002, 09:39 AM
skipjack
Scooby Regular

they are also doing it to help pay off extensive legal bills.
Old 30 October 2002, 09:39 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

i don't recall deayton's alleged drug misdemenours being proven in a court of law
Didn't need to. He's publicly admitted the allegations are true - I believe he even made references to that fact on an edition of HIGNFY.
remarkable double standards by a confused and typically hypocritical BBC.
To be fair, they BBC has said that they're replacing him on HIGNFY because his 'issues' have now become more prevelant on the show than the news they're there to satarise. Which is, IMO, a good point, and well-made. It is getting to the point where it was hypocritical of the show to ridicule other celebrities (Ulrika, Leslie, etc) when one of its hosts was in exactly the same boat. Considering the exemplorary behaviour (off-screen) of Merton and Hislop, Deayton's private live was distracting the real crux of the show to the point where even I was getting bored of the continual references to him.
good luck to him: i hope he lands a corker of a job on commercial TV.
Undoubtedly he will. It wouldn't surprise me if he returns to host the show in a few years' time (if it continues for that long). I don't have anything against Deayton, and couldn't particularly care less what he's done. I just think it's immensely hypocritical of him to sit and pass judgement on other media names (e.g., lampooning Leslie for his sexual and drug-related exploits) when he's done precisely the same thing himself.
Old 30 October 2002, 09:43 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Frankly, anyone publicly proven to be a regular cocaine user should not be fronting a popular TV show such as this.
That'll rule out just about every one in the TV / Media then!

There do seem to be some people at the BBC taking a very high moral view of this. If they are honestly all angels then they can criticise and remove / sack him. Somehow I don't think that is the case.

Plenty of people get up to what Angus was doing. His problem was that a) he's famous b) he got caught. Occupational hazard I suppose - perhaps he got a kick out of the fact that he knew he might get caught. Who knows?

I don't think any less of the guy and to sack him is crazy.

Chris
Old 30 October 2002, 09:44 AM
skipjack
Scooby Regular

all fair points in isolation but not my point: how can the BBC justify this is the light of vaughan's continued employment and his track record as a convicted criminal dealing in class A drugs?

no consistency.
Old 30 October 2002, 09:45 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Interestingly the HIGNFY viewing figures have gone from approx 5 million pre-media trial to approx 7 million post-media trial.

Now - last time I looked at my TV Licence I noticed that it was me that was ******* well paying it - So 2 million (approx) people like me (people who actually pay their licence ) have found something they like and the BB ******* C have stopped it [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Jase
ps Have watched HIGNFY about 3 times in my life - this is about the Nanny State getting everywhere !
Old 30 October 2002, 09:49 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Question

BB ******* C have stopped it
They haven't stopped it at all. They've simply decided that the current anchorman is no longer appropriate, and are in the process of finding a new one. The program will continue.
Old 30 October 2002, 09:50 AM
GP
Scooby Regular

Stephen Fry gets my vote - he could probably out-brain IH and PM put together, plus he can genuinely laugh at himself - something which Angus never really could imo.
Old 30 October 2002, 09:52 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

all fair points in isolation but not my point: how can the BBC justify this is the light of vaughan's continued employment and his track record as a convicted criminal dealing in class A drugs? no consistency.
Bear in mind that the BBC haven't sacked Deayton (yet). They've simply dropped him from this particular program because it's felt that his position (given the context of HIGNFY) isn't tenable, and wasn't appropriate for this style of satirical vehicle.

The BBC have not yet decided whether or not he will be completely dropped from all programs, and are considering that he may be employed for future projects.

I'm sure if Vaughn had been hosting HIGNFY he would have been dropped too, but his show is entirely different (particularly as hardly anyone watches it ).

Quick Reply: BBC sacked Angus Deayton the ********s