Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Turn your lights on!

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2002, 06:57 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Now that the nights are drawing in and weather conditions inevitably mean that visibilty is poor, is it time for a law that say 'If you are driving at this time then please turn your lights on'?

I would favour a rule that would take effect from 1st October and come 5.30pm you turn your lights on if you are driving. I'm constantly amazed by the number of people who drive with little or no illumination. Surely we need to make sure that everybody has as much chance as possible of being seen.

Having ridden bikes for a number of years, I always rode with headlights on, reason - to give everybody as much of a chance of seeing me as possible!

Seems that some people have no concept of common sense. Unlike the introduction of Gatso's to 'police dangerous roads or accident blackspots' some sort of legislation as above would go some way to making driving safer (but then it doesn't rake in the £££'s does it?).

All IMHO of course!

DP.
Old 15 October 2002, 07:06 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Agreed!

That doesn't mean putting your fooking fog lights on too, though. Unless it's foggy, of course!
Old 15 October 2002, 07:16 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb

I agree with both of you.

And what's the point of sidelights? Saving money? They should be banned. Either you want to see and be seen or you don't.

Old 15 October 2002, 10:21 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

I've got a mate who insists on driving on just sidelights except when there are NO streetlights. When I asked him why, he said "I don't want to waste the battery, they cost money you know?"
Alcazar
Old 15 October 2002, 10:29 PM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Angry

sidelights are adaquate on city streets as they are already lit and headlights in concentration at low speed are too bright.

Apart from that stick yer headlights and any other lights on - not rear fogs though .

I can't understand people in graphite coloured cars (usually 4x4) who drive around in poor light without any lights on at all Are they too important or something [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] I always flash them, but I don't think they understand why
Old 15 October 2002, 11:20 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

That doesn't mean putting your fooking fog lights on too, though. Unless it's foggy, of course!
£1 for every BMW I've seen with the fogs on

David
Old 16 October 2002, 07:18 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Don't have to bother myself with trivial matters like this now I've ditched the Scoob and bought the X-Type. It turns the lights on for me automatically when it gets dark, and turns 'em off again when it's light again.
Old 16 October 2002, 08:28 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Talking

A law that says 'please' - fat chance
Old 16 October 2002, 11:36 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Yeah - agree on the Fog lights bit - shame the nobber in the MY01 WRX last night on the A322 in Bracknell thought they were necessary
Old 16 October 2002, 11:39 AM
The Crushinator
Scooby Regular

£1 for every BMW I've seen with the fogs on
Yep!

I won't bother listing the other cars that usually have them on either. Except, they are usually french cars
Old 16 October 2002, 11:53 AM
TomM
Scooby Regular

As a BMW owner (2 of them) I have to say that yes, there are hundreds of Beemers driving round with the front fogs on - no argument. Also heavey abusers are 406 drivers!, those front fogs are like floodlights!! - salesman idiots!!

This is a spreading epidemic, I see all kinds of drivers doing it now, old, young, male, female etc etc. As it has become so popular I think alot of the population have assumed its ok. Makes me laugh!!, really cant see the point!. Mine only ever some on when Iam driving down a very dark road or in the fog, which they dont make any difference in!

Its the cars that drive round with the sidelights and front fogs on thst make me laugh! - losers. Why do people put thier rear fogs on in the rain?? - ******* idiots!, it makes it 20 times worse!!

And then driving home you see people from a mile away as you approach them who havnt switched thier rear fogs off! - what, doesnt the big light on your dash give it away??

Isnt it scary how these people dont even realise stuff like this?.......as they drive down the middle lane of the motorway with nothing i the inside lane!! - AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

I was have a rip with a Leon Cupra R this morning up the M3 in the fast lane when I approaced a slow moving Grananda in the fat lane - the other two lanes were clear!!, I got right up behind him, he looked at me in his mirror and proceeded to plod along at 65Mph, so I undertook him and the Cupra followed, the guy then flased his lights at us!!! - Hello?????

Todays driving scares me to death, the standard is abismal!.
Old 16 October 2002, 12:05 PM
The Crushinator
Scooby Regular

Todays driving scares me to death, the standard is abismal!
Best quote i've seen in a while! I was ready to just give up driving completely; a while back
Old 16 October 2002, 12:15 PM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

drumsterphil: There is a law already.
You're supposed to put your lights on once sunset arrives.
For those people who can't figure out when it's darker than is safe to drive without lights, may papers publish Sunset times each day.
For example today, Sunset in the Surrey area will be at 17:09.

You can be prosecuted for driving without lights, but let's be honest the police have better things to do than spend time filling in paper work for this type of offence (as should also be the case for the majority of National Speed limit speeding convictions!!).

Old 16 October 2002, 12:18 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
it is illegal to drive at night with the sidelights only as ilumination.

You must always use dipped headlamps as a minimum, it's been the law for a very long time, sidelights are for parking only.

I drive with my dipped beam on all day, stops people pulling out on you. I have done this ever since i had a mercury grey Sierra years ago and had 2 crashes in a week from people pulling out on me in daylight because the car blended in to the suroundings (plus they were muppets).
Old 16 October 2002, 12:18 PM
muppet paster
Scooby Regular

Wink

"I don't want to waste the battery, they cost money you know?"

I've come to sommons your mate to the muppets...
Old 16 October 2002, 12:21 PM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Wink

johnfelstead: LOL at 'stops people pulling out on you' - I wish !!
Old 16 October 2002, 12:21 PM
TomM
Scooby Regular

Yeah - the police have better things to do like put 30 officers on the A30 checking for road tax last week at 18:30pm causing masses of traffice right up the A30 and beyond.

or

The police have better things to do like sit on thier fat ***** doing **** all!

Sorry - had a few bad run ins with the boys in blue recently, wasting my time when Ive done nothing wrong, twice in a month!. And then I get home to gind out my next door nieghbours house was burgled....during the day!!!! - took the police nearly an hour from the call to turn up, to busy pulling me over!!!
Old 16 October 2002, 12:27 PM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

TomM: It's no good blaming the police for that.
The government decides 'targets' for the police and most of the targets are aimed at revenue collection.
There is no revenue to be made from preventing your neighbours house being burgled. There is however a lot to be gained from speeding convictions and tax dodging.

The trouble is people in the UK take it all lying down.
You need to voice your concerns to the powers that be.
I do regularly - OK I'm not nieve enough to think that just me makes any difference, but if enough people got off their backsides and acted then maybe the government would get the message.

Try faxing your MP with your concerns.
Here's a website to do it all for you.

http://www.faxyourmp.com/index.php3

Old 16 October 2002, 12:36 PM
TomM
Scooby Regular

I know what your saying SheepSplitter, but its so frustrating!!!

Cheers for the link

All I seem to do is give the poxy govenrment money!!!
Old 16 October 2002, 12:40 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Excuse me, is this the Volvo owners' forum I'm visiting here?

Anyway, I keep my illuminated blue windscreen washers lit at all times
Old 16 October 2002, 12:41 PM
TomM
Scooby Regular

lol

Quote :
Anyway, I keep my illuminated blue windscreen washers lit at all times ..........

In the middle lane with you front and rear fog lights on!!
Old 16 October 2002, 12:53 PM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

TomM: I'm completely in agreement with you mate.
I am sick to death of this governments pathetic 'show'.
They don't seem to care about delivering something useful, just as long as it's 'seen' in the public eye that they are doing 'something'.
Blair hasn't a clue, he's just a grinning fool who likes running around the globe telling others how to do things, when his own country is in a mess.
The rest of them are like some sort of pantomime:-
Gordon Brown - The Ugly Sister, who will tax you till you bleed.
John Prescott - The Pantomime Horse, who can't put a decent argument together, so he will start a fight!
Estelle Morris - A snake, who will slither her way out of any responsibilty.
David Blunkett - Widow Twanky.
Tony Blair - The Giant - a man so big in his own mind!

Old 16 October 2002, 12:59 PM
TomM
Scooby Regular

lol !!!!!!!
Old 16 October 2002, 01:36 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

You can't educate those with no brains to use their lights

I was driving on a busy main road in pouring rain in the rush hour last night at dusk, and there were people driving with NO lights on at all - I can only think these people put a very low value on their lives.

And side lights are NOT side lights - they are PARKING lights!!!

Me? I value my crappy life, and have taken to driving with headlamps on, all year round, at all times of day for some while now. See and be seen, and stack the survival odds in my favour......

As to to$$ers with the front fog lights on heading in the opposite direction, I have a nice remedy for them - a blast of Philips Vision Plus dips, Philips Rallye 100w mains, plus Hella Gas discharge drive lamps. I've toasted the front of the same silver Corsa (wanka) two mornings running now, perhaps they'll get the message by day three
Old 16 October 2002, 02:54 PM
mik
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Personally I get annoyed by both extremes..... those who don't put lights on when it is blatantly necessary, and those who have headlights on when it's not necessary.

I knew the law required headlights on unlit roads at night - does this also affect lit roads? If it does, I'm a dirty lawbreaker.....

I use my sidelights (parking lights?) when I feel need to be seen, and headlights when I need to see. I turn my headlights off when I can so as to reduce glare. (Even correctly adjusted headlights cause glare IMHO - particularly gas-discharge....)

Reality is that often I put on my headlights when I feel it isn't necessary - without this action I'd dissapear into the background of glare caused by every other car

I've seen bikes with full beam on constantly.....WTF is that about. Yes I see you, but now I'm half blind, and can't see anything else on the road....
Old 16 October 2002, 06:28 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

When we are confronted on a daily basis by DoT adverts telling us to 'kill our speed', 'watch out for others' or 'buckle up in the back' seems to me that an advert informing people that it is a LEGAL requirement to have their lights on at certain times seems a bloody good idea.

Unfortunately, probably won't make a jot of difference to those with so little common-sense that they don't turn their fckuing lights on now, but surely it's got to be worth a go!

I can't understand people in graphite coloured cars (usually 4x4) who drive around in poor light without any lights on at all
Since I got the RB5 I drive around with my headlights on more often than not. I recognise that the colour is a bitch to see (along with my previous bike experience) and I try to make sure every other road user has the best chance of seeing me!

On the subject of ***** who run around with their fog-lights on - well, let's just say that I now know the real reason for PIAA's - muhahaha!!

DP.
Old 16 October 2002, 07:41 PM
Crypt
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I try to make sure every other road user has the best chance of seeing me!

You know what you need, a bright yellow car.

[Edited by Crypt - 10/16/2002 7:43:03 PM]
Old 16 October 2002, 10:09 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

I tend to spend the winter months with my lights on all the time - makes the car more visible in the long shadows on sunny days, and err, more visible when it's dull.

I do tend to be one of the first on, and one of the last off with lights. It is important to use headlights as a way of being seen, and not just to be used as a tool for seeing (as far too many people seem to think). I almost had a head-on on an A road last summer, but thankfully just made out a car (no lights) in the gloom before committing to an overtake.

Canada and Sweeden are two places where daytime running lights are used - there's obviously some reason for it?!

PS does anyone else find it ironic when they see a Volvo without lights on when every else has?
Old 16 October 2002, 10:50 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Smile

MIK,

Completely agree with you. The amount of people who have them on when not neccessary and vice versa is a real sign of pure ignorance and annoys the hell out of me. I have PIAA's on mine and I beam the hell out of anyone with fogs on in the morning. Believe me it hurts

There's one bugger in a Renault 19 with all the **** on it, fogs on every morning. Usually some shouting through the window...

I would love the rozzers to sit and pull them in one morning. I embarrasingly was pulled for it in a previous car, for using them to beam someone else and leaving them on!

MB
Old 17 October 2002, 08:29 AM
mik
Scooby Regular

Cool

mik - completely agree with you

Thank 4uck for that...thought it was just me

Quick Reply: Turn your lights on!