Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Arriva Trains (Leeds)

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2002, 10:43 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
What a joke tonight.
Sat on the 17:57hrs Leeds to Selby, low and behold at about 18:05hrs, they tell us the train is cancelled due to a hydrolic leak.
This basically means that I miss my last connection home.

Rather than talk to station staff (some of whom were getting unecessary verbal abuse IMO), I have a phone number that I use to arrange for a "stop order" on the next train that goes through my station so that I can get home.

Anyway, Im talking to this woman on the phone and she says she will ring me back (Im getting good at explaining the problem now, first time took about four attempts, and Im still not sure the guy at the other end of the phone understood the problem). Sure enough, five minutes later she rings me back and tells me its not a problem, because the 17:57hrs is just running late.

So I explain to her, that Im stood on Leeds station, the train has been cancelled, everyone has got off, and its been taken away to Neville Hill for repair. "no its hasn't, its just going to leave late". "er no, its cancelled, and its gone to Neville Hill" "Neville where?" "Look, it makes no matter if the train runs or not now, I've missed my connection and I can't get home unless you raise a stopping order on the 18:37hrs to Hull". "Oh I've done that, but you can still catch your 17:57hrs and change at Selby". "But why would I want to do that, since a) the train has gone to the depot for repair and b) the stopping order you have raised is on the next train through anyway."

Anyway, 18:37hrs pulls in, and sure enough.... guess what.... no stopping order. So I gets on the phone again. However true to her word, the train has to make two additional stops because people have no other train to get home on.

Fair play to Arriva, they always sort me out when I miss my last connection (if its their fault), no complaints there. But its quite poor when I have a better understanding of how the railways work than the person on the other end of the phone who works for the company.

When you've been using trains for the best part of ten years, you get to know a few things, that sometimes make it easier to sort problems out when it all goes pear shapped.

Is it this bad elsewhere, or does nobody else use the trains? I normally go through this about twice a month.
Old 14 October 2002, 10:58 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree, my misses lives @ Stockton on Tee's to best trains is to Thornaby, the people at the other end are thick as ****! Ive correct them many a time.

Im sure within a budget i could teach a f$%%ing monkey to read the bastŁ$d monitor better

Si
Old 14 October 2002, 11:43 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Talking

And the person you're trying to explain to is a woman?????
I rest my case.:
Alcazar
Old 14 October 2002, 11:46 PM
cjones944
Scooby Regular

What number do you call to get them to raise a stopping order?
Old 15 October 2002, 08:04 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
0870 602 3322

Its the Customer Care (sic) number. Just hold until somebody answers and ignore the menu.

Its a handy number to have when your stuck in the middle of winter on a cold platform with no means of getting any information.

2 weeks ago, I was at Selby and the connection from York failed to show. The screens went blank, and that was that.

Anyway, this guy gets out of a car and says to me and these two ladies, "if your waiting for the train from York, its stuck at Church Fenton"

I ring Arriva and tell them that their train is stuck at Church Fenton, and can you raise a stopping order for the train from Manchester. The woman on the other end of the phone says "not really, because the York train is now moving". "err, no its not, because we are talking to somebody on the train". "ah well, engineers are on site, and it will on its way in the next 5-10 minutes" "no it won't, because there are no engineers there"... "ohhhh"

So she raises the stopping order.

Found out the next day that the train from York arrived 1.5 hours late.
Old 15 October 2002, 08:26 AM
super_si
Scooby Regular

I just go to Darlington then home in 1/2 hour