Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Lorries in lane 3 -AAARRRGGHHH

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2002, 01:10 AM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

when u pay £2500 road tax then u can use as much raod as u what to

have u ever driven a 44ton wagon? if u had then u would know y we r slow at over taking. ive had 105mph out of mine thats not slow

JUST REMENBER EVER THING U OWN HAS COME ON A WAGON

P.S I've got more horsepower than n e scooby 560hp thats with no mods lol

[Edited by scooby-si - 9/8/2002 1:17:40 AM]
Old 09 August 2002, 12:38 PM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft
ALCAZAR its a volvo globtrotter dutch spec 530/560hp get more horses with them then next wagon down is a scany 530/540hp
Well as far as torque its alot? can find out 2morrow
no artics cannt use 3rd line unless road works etc (OR ITS 200AM IN THE MORNING)LOL

missy it said lorries ?

REFFRO top man

p.s never pick on lorry drivers u will always lose

[Edited by scooby-si - 9/8/2002 12:43:08 PM]
Old 09 August 2002, 04:07 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

Hey! When was it watered down? I took mine in Dec last year, and it was 1 hour 30 at least.[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Edited to say: a good idea would be the "crawler lanes" that you see on continental motorways, not just the penny pinching "Slow lorries for 3 miles" signs that we get!!! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

[Edited by alcazar - 9/8/2002 4:10:28 PM]
Old 09 August 2002, 08:09 PM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

take the fuse out it will do more than 56kmh

good fun when u get a car in the middle line doing 70mph and then u flash him out of the way

only works well when iam not loaded LOL

IF U SEE A WAGON WITH SCOOBYNET STICKERS ON IT ITS ME

[Edited by scooby-si - 9/8/2002 8:10:54 PM]
Old 07 September 2002, 08:33 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry

Is it me or do you lot see more and more lorries in lane 3 on the motorways now?

Is it not enough that they crawl past slow lorries in lane 2 blocking up the motorway but now they can be seen 3 abreast [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Admittedly, I've not seen 18 wheelers in lane 3 but I do see large box vans and the like.

I also hate high top vans and bl00dy MPV's.

I can't see a thing behind the vans so I back off only to get someone undertake and pull in front of me.

As for MPV's, when will they learn that they are not cars but comfy vans. If they wanted to go fast they should have bought a sporty estate, which is far more sensible and just as much space. Frustrated fashion victims.

F
Old 07 September 2002, 09:10 PM
Little Miss WRX

Wink

They're probably wondering who you are!
Old 07 September 2002, 09:33 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

perfectly legal to do so that's why

Andy
Old 07 September 2002, 10:29 PM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Talking

Agree about MPVs - they are just transits with extra seats and windows.

Good piece of marketing though, got loads of tw@ts to part with thier money.
Old 07 September 2002, 10:35 PM
Tommy 2000
Scooby Regular

Totally agree Floyd, second UB's comment on MPVs and add 4X4s and white vans...

I guess they are just trying to prove that their 'trucks' really can go fast!
Old 07 September 2002, 11:33 PM
Silent Monkey
Scooby Regular

Floyd, they've probably seen your RR results so know they aren't really holding you up much

Barry.
Old 08 September 2002, 12:00 AM
Esoteric Beast
Scooby Regular

Talking of white van, had one up my **** today on M25, I was doing 70-75 in lane 3 fair bit of traffic around when this beat up white van with 2 blokes in it comes up behind me and flashes his lights...... I looked in my mirror and just laughed What did he think he had under the bonnet. I just lent slightly on the gas pedal and left him there...........FOOL !
Old 08 September 2002, 08:51 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Scooby Si: wot sort of a wagon is it? I thought the highest bhp was a Magnum with 500?
My youngest(13) calls mpv's "vans with windows". He laughs outloud at the ones with a roof mounted spoiler, calling them "vans with windows and a handle on top".
It is true that they ALWAYS seem to drive as fast as they can, are they trying to prove it's not really a "van with windows"?
Old 08 September 2002, 10:26 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

When you overtake as slowly as you do, you have NO RIGHT to take up all 3 lanes trying to overtake each other. Pathetic IMO. Saying that though, whilst being stuck behing loads of pottering lorries overtaking each other for pretty well no good reason does my head in, I haven't seen any 3 lanes specials in my time
I thought that using the 3rd lanes was illegal for HGV's?

Cheers,

Nick
Old 08 September 2002, 11:16 AM
Little Miss WRX

Exclamation

Can I just point out this bit in Floyd's post?

Admittedly, I've not seen 18 wheelers in lane 3 but I do see large box vans and the like.
Cheers,

Michelle.
Old 08 September 2002, 11:32 AM
puppypower
Scooby Regular

It is not perfectly legal to do it. A lorry over 7.1/2 ton is not allowed in the overtaking lane of a motorway. I have to say I've never seen one, unless it's one of those massive traffic jams.

PP
Old 08 September 2002, 11:49 AM
sebastian
Scooby Regular

isnt it illegal to go in fast lane in an artic?????/

BTW whats the torque/power and capacity of a 44ton truck always wondered
Old 08 September 2002, 11:56 AM
Little Miss WRX

Exclamation

If I read Floyd's post correctly, he is not referring to HGV's!!!!

Floyd?

I have never seen one in the third/outside lane.
Old 08 September 2002, 12:34 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Again the blinkers are on a few people here. Thing to remember here is that vehicles upto 7.5 tonnes are allowed to use the third lane of a motorway to overtake, and they also share a 70 mph speed limit with cars. As such there is no possible reason to exclude them from using the third lane to overtake. If they are not going as fast as you tough ****, you are probably breaking the speed limit if you are trying to overtake them, so you'll have to lump it.

Now about the HGV's overtaking each other, its true it can take a while for them to get past each other, but that is due to a variety of reasons that I can't be bothered to type out. But in a moment of sanity answer me one question, how long does it take you to overtake a truck that has just moved back the inside lane from in front of you? I'm guessing that it will take you about 2-300 yards to get past and a matter of seconds to return to whatever speed you were doing previously. HGV's can't do that, they are limited to 56mph, and they don't accelerate too well either, so when a driver has the chance to overtake isn't it a little churlish to complain when we have it so easy. So what if you have to slow down for a few seconds or a minute, you'll soon be ahead of them. I for one always look for trucks building for an overtake when I'm on the motorways or more often the A1. And if they indicate to move out, I'll deliberately slow to let them out, they get to make their overtake at just the right time, and then they move back in quickly, and what's it cost me maybe 5 extra seconds on a 2 hour journey, big deal......

A little understanding is all that is needed here, just think everytime you flash your lights to tell a truck to come out and overtake you've just done them a favour. I don't know about you, but I like to help people out every now and again, its nice and it does a little to make the world a nicer place. It always puts a smile on my face when I get an unexpected favour, and I for one don't mind returning them.

As for power outputs for the bigger trucks you are looking at upto 600bhp for the largest engines, and here's the nice figure, approximately 2,300-2,500lbs ft of torque!!!!!!!
Old 08 September 2002, 01:26 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

It also depends on the size of the trailer, whether the trailer is fully laden with the product they are delivering, or whether they are returning from a drop off. Obviously the smaller trailers and ones that are empty will be the ones more likely to overtake. Even then it will be at a slow pace as posted above as they are restricted to 56mph.

I know something that is very annoying to lorry drivers is when they are cut up by thoughtless car drivers, causing them to slow down, it takes them a while to get back up to speed.

When lorries are overtaking, they have to try and gain momentum otherwise the overtake will be longer.

Having worked for a transport and distribution firm I find I am much more aware of lorries on the road/motorway and willingly pull into the third lane to allow one to overtake.
Old 08 September 2002, 01:26 PM
Little Miss WRX

Wink

missy it said lorries ?
In that case feel free to flame Floyd for incorrect topic title
Old 08 September 2002, 02:29 PM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

thanks missy lol
Old 08 September 2002, 02:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

LOL at Scooby Si, TWICE
I agree m8, I'm hgv too, but only class 2(ClassC).
Never bothered to do my Class 1, as I can't get a permanent job here anyway due to insurers not wanting to take on anyone with < 3 years exp.[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Cost me an arm and a leg to get class 2 and ADR anyway, then the agencies want to pay me £4.50ph [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 08 September 2002, 03:12 PM
Little Miss WRX

Wink

Norpak near me to me were advertising a while ago about taking on Class 3/2 drivers then getting them up to Class 1 as long as they stayed with the company for a certain amount of time.

Looked a good opportunity, the company I worked for lost a couple of drivers to them because of the better pay etc.

Might be worth looking into if you are still wanting something?

PS, don't take corners too fast in a lorry
Old 08 September 2002, 03:58 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Also got HGV. I too get annoyed by car drivers doing 50 on inside lane. Takes ages to overtake them.As for trucks in the outside lane of M/way, well its very rare if you see a truck over 7.5 ton out there. Remeber truck drivers are professionals or at least they should be.

I also think if the government wants to improve road safety then make all learner drivers take a test to the standard of the old HGV test.
I say the old test as it was nearly 2 hours long whereas the new one has been watered down a bit to 40 mins.

Chip.
Old 08 September 2002, 04:30 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
P.S I've got more horsepower than n e scooby 560hp
not necessarily...
Old 08 September 2002, 04:59 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

Angry

Well I to drive a HGV and never give way to White Van Man or 7 1/2 tonners, 90% of these people are only car drivers who think that they are Lorry drivers. Why do these and car drivers insist on the middle lane from start to finish. I think that some drivers would follow a lorry forever if it stayed in the middle lane. Why when I indicate do they keep coming I will tolerate 5 sorry if you are number 6 but you will find a closed door. Why when lanes are closed do they have to go all the way to the cones, why will a T**t whos queued for a length of time let them in, Bozo. Hi to SCOOBY-SI who do you drive for is it a Mansfield firm let me Know I will give you a Flash or two. Also I followed a Volvo to Chapel en le Frith wrote on the back doors was (get more power with a chip) so wagons are doing it now. Big up for Lorry Drivers.
Old 08 September 2002, 05:56 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Coming back from lady barn meet (the last one) id picked up the motorway and was cruising at 60-65mph as the car was still cold, i had 2 trucks infront of me (quite a distance, ie 500m) and one was over taking the other.
Now Ladybarn is at J21, i get off at J18, i passed these trucks just before/around Birch services and they were still crawling up the side at 0mph quicker than the other one so basically blocking 2 lanes of the motorway [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] and taking that they must have started the manouver well before i came onto the motorway it must have taken them a good 12-15 miles to get past [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] now that i REALLY hate [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Tony[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 08 September 2002, 07:02 PM
WRX Baker
Scooby Regular

Angry

When i drive my mates 44 tonne artic for him i relise what ***** there are on the road, being as we can't legally exceed 56mph/90kph because of speed limiters when two trucks do try to overtake it does take a while. Also when a truck is coming up to a hill and there is a slow vehicle in front if he's indicating to pull out slow up and let him it may add 5 mins to your journey but do you know how ******* hard it is to stop 44tonnes and then get it going again especially uphill,it also pi$$es me off when car drivers sit in the middle lane at about 54mph. there rant over!!!!!
Old 08 September 2002, 07:29 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry

'chelle, not seen any large lorries (18 wheelers) but some of the 7 1/2 tonners are pretty frick'in big, and can be driven by any monkey with a license. I hate them in front of me due to vision restriction and I **** myself when they are behind me in the rain.

Barry, my low power output is legendary but my skills are extraordinary and any roads battles will be magnificent (spot the quote)

I also hate middle lane hoggers, especially those soft tops who can't go faster than 60 due to buffeting. I like to clear my windscreen of bugs when I'm in front of them.

F

Old 08 September 2002, 10:11 PM
WRX Baker
Scooby Regular

Wink

Scooby-si i work for Volvo Truck and Bus as thier tacho man, thats my real job, you can't take out the fuse but you can wire it but i'm not going to tell you which wire you have to earth! I noticed by your earlier post that you drive a Volvo what model FH16, you said itwas 530 to 560bhp it must be chipped then i've heard about them doing it in Holland but it buggers up the ECU and we can't read the fault codes,Anyway 10-4 good buddy.

Quick Reply: Lorries in lane 3 -AAARRRGGHHH